race plans for newbies

valentine4
valentine4 Posts: 233 Member
I got my one and only race plan here from Dave when I was doing my first 5k a few wks ago, it was to warm up well and then
' hit it hard and hang on in there'

Which is exactly what I did and it worked a treat.

So just hoping dave and other experienced members can share some of their pearls of wisdom for us newbies to the sports.

I have my second 5K coming up, second 1/2 marathon, a few 10k and a ten miler.

So I better get planning! :)

thanks all

Replies

• PrairieRunner2015
    PrairieRunner2015 Posts: 126 Member
    Hal Higdons plans were a great place for me start.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Run a lot, mostly easy, but sometimes faster.
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Do you mean a workout plan or strategy for the actual races? For those events you pretty much need to do half-marathon training and then fit the races into the plan.

If you're interested in pacing strategy for the races it does depend somewhat on terrain. There is a thread on 10k strategy here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1248195-10k-strategy
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member

^^^ plans are not a "secret" to success... The secret to success is run a LOT. Run when you want to make an excuse, run when you are busy, run when you are tired, run when you are sad, run when you are happy, run when you had a bad day, run even if you only have 20 min!

Dedication & discipline to running will give you success.
    In my experience, It's better to listen to my body than a "plan". :) plans are great guidlines, but they are not the "end all be all" of running.
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member

^^^ plans are not a "secret" to success... The secret to success is run a LOT. Run when you want to make an excuse, run when you are busy, run when you are tired, run when you are sad, run when you are happy, run when you had a bad day, run even if you only have 20 min!

In my experience, It's better to listen to my body than a "plan". :) plans are great guidlines, but they are not the "end all be all" of running.

And keep running when you want to stop because you are uncomfortable.
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member

If your "not planned" runs end up fairly closely paralleling a system that has been scientifically tested and shown to be effective, then they will probably end up being almost as successful.

I do agree that if your body is showing signs of injury or overtraining, it's a good idea to back away from a plan (or from "unplanned" lots of running).