Memorial Day "Murph"

Options

Replies

• CrazyAnimalLady
    CrazyAnimalLady Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I did Murph for the first time last year, finished just under 60 mins but that was doing jumping pull ups. This year I'll be trying with Banded, hopefully I can beat my old time! It's definitely a brutal workout, especially in the hot Florida sun.
  • CrazyAnimalLady
    CrazyAnimalLady Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    the box I go to is offering the "Murph" free of charge to the public to honor Michael Murphy, the fallen SEAL hero.

I want to give it a go with a weighted vest,

I wish you all the best of luck, and when you crack open a cold one, you do it for those who have served and do serve.

:)

The Murph in a weighted vest?! Now that's impressive. I'm just hoping I don't have to go to the bands on my last dozen pull ups. Like Boston, I'm shooting for under an hour and doing it without scaling any reps.

And yes, I, too, will be thinking about all who have served and are serving our country.

A 40lb vest is considered RX if I'm not mistaken.

I will be doing ring rows and might end up doing push ups from my knees at some point. My goal is just to keep moving. I think the 5-10-15 split will probably work best.

Yes, 40 lb weight vest is RX and you also have to do it as written, no breaking it up.
  • becs3578
    becs3578 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Our box is doing it today and Monday. Today some of us did partner WOD's so I did 1/2 a murph and a 3000m row. I was already exhausted from the week so I definitely gonna be sore tomorrow. BUT SO WORTH IT.

Several of the vets at crossfit did it in their old army gear, and 2 of our firefighters did it in full gear. It was insane!
  • jpapp13
    jpapp13 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm doing this tomorrow, my coach stated that you can go solo or partner it up.
    I gather I'm going solo but will need to modify the pull ups and maybe the push ups in later rounds.
    I plan on taking my partner so he can drive me home after as I figure my arms are going to be dead ..

This is my first.. hopefully not my last ..

Good Luck Everyone!
  • catkayne
    catkayne Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Just did my first Murph. I have been at my box for 3 months. I did not wear a weighed vest and I had to do Jumping pullups. But I finished in 55:29.

Cathy
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    First Murph complete: 55 and change.
  • FWMagicMike
    FWMagicMike Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Did the Murph today.

10# vest and we had to do it as Rx, we couldn't break it into a system. So we had to do it as:

1 mile
    100 pull ups
    200 push ups
    300 air squats
    1 mile

Completed in 40:47

piece of advice, if wearing a vest, wear a shirt underneath... man, the pull ups caused major nipple rubbage... so raw... haha
  • pkiesch
    pkiesch Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Broke it up into 5-10-15 for most of the moves but man that was still tough! 61:33 was my time. Had a blast with all the people that did it at our box. Happy Memorial Day, y'all!
  • shaypearl
    shaypearl Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I broke it up into 10-20-30. It took me 72:12. I am so tired. I am going to sleep so good tonight.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Did it this morning. We broke it up just to give everyone access to the rig when they needed it. I double up the Cindys 19 and 20 because I just didn't want to get into the rings again. 61 minutes and change. Would have had my goal if I didnt have to keep stopping during the second mile because my shoulders were so damned sore.

Looking to do this RX next year.
  • alysa521
    alysa521 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    45:57 rx but no weight vest. I took about a min off my time from last year which I was happy with since it was 35 degrees warmer than it was last year. I broke it into 20 rounds of 5 pull up, 5 push ups, 15 air squats, 5 pushups. This allowed me not to hit failure on pushups. Fun day as we had close to 150 people do the workout today!! Nice job everyone!!
  • Flab2Fab27
    Flab2Fab27 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Time-60:20
    Broken into 10 rounds of 10,20,30.
  • bryndakat
    bryndakat Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Did Murph yesterday - took me 77 minutes, but I walked a lot during the miles and did ring rows. Last time we did it, I only did the half, so I am glad I did the whole thing yesterday!

:)

-Brynda
  • petzilla
    petzilla Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    You really don't handle a Murph you just try your best to survive it, our gym's recommendation is to do:
    1 mile run
    5 pull ups
    10 push ups
    15 squats
    x20
    1 mile run

it's essentially broken down to be Cindy 20 times, this year I completed it in 51:35 wearing my flight suit from when I was in the Air Force and deployed during Operation Desert Storm!
  • jpapp13
    jpapp13 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I did my first Murph on monday .. Finished in 64:39
    My box broke it down as the following:

1 mile run
    5 pull ups
    10 push ups
    15 squats
    x20
    1 mile run

Using a band for pull ups and modded my push ups about halfway through ..
    I don't have T-Rex arms thankfully but I am feeling those squats today!
  • pfgaytriot
    pfgaytriot Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I've been doing CrossFit for four months and completed Murph in 82 minutes flat by breaking it up into 20 rounds of 5-10-15. I did the movements without any mods, but I don't think I would have survived my first time had I worn a weighted vest. There's always next year, though! LOL
  • abbyrae1
    abbyrae1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    So I ended up completing Murph with my husband, splitting everything down the middle and we finished in 27:02; Next year I'm going to have the strength and stamina to do the whole thing on my own, with a weight vest on!
  • MarineCodie
    MarineCodie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Did the Murph with a bunch of Marines at work. I finished in 1:02. ….I'm still sore
  • nicolle916
    nicolle916 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Just curious how you all did the fundraising part. Did people pay to participate? Make donations? I think that is a cool event!
  • wiginn
    wiginn Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    A couple of us couldn't/didn't participate Monday, so there were 4 that did it today.....we split into teams of two - my partner had already done the whole thing himself on Monday. I was so glad to have a partner today. Will work on being strong enough to do the whole thing next year!