Wrist Straps?

Options
Aeramis13
Aeramis13 Posts: 135 Member
I'm a little over 2 months into SL5x5 and I'm LOVING IT!

I have mild-ish arthritis in both hands that leads to extra poor grip, directly affecting both my barbell rows & DL. Someone at some point recommend I try straps, but I'm finding lots of conflicting information about what works, especially for a woman with relatively small hands/wrists.

Can anyone recommend anything that works for them? Do you use padded or unpadded? Why? Anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks for your help!

Replies

• krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I have a set of pretty standard (not cheap-o either tho) padded wrist straps and for what I've used them for they've been great. i have tiny wrists but it just means you have to pull it a little tighter. The grizzly ones are a pretty good cost/quality compromise I think (The ones I have were like 13$ CAN http://www.supplementscanada.com/popeyes-gear-padded-liftingstraps.html)

In your case I would say the straps might help out a good bit, considering even with chalk or liquid grip you still wouldn't have that much more strength. Do what you can without them, still, but keep them around and don't be ashamed to whip them out. Once you know how to set them up (there are a bunch of youtube vids out there!) it's like "oh! that,s it?!" and you'll find holding the weight a LOT easier.

I don't know if you're treating the arthritis on its own, but I know certain changes in the diet make the symptoms a lot lesser. I have some damaged cartiladge in my knee and I can feel it getting all inflamed/swelling up when I don't eat well (enough veggies, too much grain/processed stuff, too much salt). Exercise alone doesn't really affect it, which is really odd.
  • Aeramis13
    Aeramis13 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    @krokador: thanks for the awesome info!