Racing on an unmarked course

vmclach
vmclach Posts: 670 Member
I'm running my first 50k this weekend. The RD made it pretty clear that the course was not going to be reliably marked. There are only 47 people running this race, and I'm assuming we will all be very very very spread out. The last race this size I did, I missed a turn in a marathon at mile 23 when trying to BQ. It was tramatic- but I still got my 3:27.. Anywho, I am wondering if bringing a map and holding it is a good idea? I wrote out directions for myself. It's 14 turns over 31 miles.. Is there an app or anything that syncs with mapmyrun routes? It's on mapmyrun.. I tend to "space out" while running, so I'm a tad nervous. Why tips would be helpful!

Thanks

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    If you get lost, you'll run 60K instead of 50K. What's the big deal? Fuggedaboudit!
  • NorthCountryDreamer
    NorthCountryDreamer Posts: 115 Member
    Run with a map and highlight the route. I would put the map in a clear plastic bag or laminate it. People tend to get lost in groups more often than alone. If you are with a group don't trust them automatically. I have followed a pack down the wrong path in two different races. One ended in a DNF and one cost me three extra miles on a 105 mile race. Electronic devices may not function. Even a small compass may be useful. Good luck!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    If you get lost, just wait for the *ding ding* and a little parachute box might fall from the sky ;)
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    If you are that concerned you could print out a map and carry it with you. But you are seeing one of the differences that trail running brings to the table...you have to pay more attention. Other tips, run with someone else that way if you get lost you're not alone. And it looks like SonicDeathMonkey will be providing you survival tips ala Woody Harrelson so yay you :). You'll be fine.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Here's some "now you tell me" type of advice.

If you knew the course ahead of time, you could have trained on it weeks prior and gotten used to it.
    Not sure what you can do in a few days. Maybe take a quick run through on some of the more complicated parts of the course?

Is this course near by where you live?
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member

Is there an app or anything that syncs with mapmyrun routes? It's on mapmyrun..

OK So you are still going to use technology ... pffftt ... And I thought this was all in the wilderness the way it was all along presented.
  • vmclach

OK So you are still going to use technology ... pffftt ... And I thought this was all in the wilderness the way it was all along presented.

Lol uh yeah! Of course I'm going to use a GPS.
  • runner475

Then I don't understand where the problem is? You have a GPS, you'll be carrying a map and there may or may not be course flags. I think if it really gets to the fear of getting lost and losing an award (are there awards?) you should look for a volunteer to pace you. Maybe your family member on bike. Hopefully this helps.

I thought this was all in the wilderness where signals can't be reached kinda deal.
  • vmclach

Then I don't understand where the problem is? You have a GPS, you'll be carrying a map and there may or may not be course flags. I think if it really gets to the fear of getting lost and losing an award (are there awards?) you should look for a volunteer to pace you. Maybe your family member on bike. Hopefully this helps.

I thought this was all in the wilderness where signals can't be reached kinda deal.

Because I'd like to be able to enjoy running the race instead of starring down at a GPS and matching up with the course map while running. Not exactly an easy or enjoyable thing to do. Wondering if anyone has advice on how to make it easier.
  • CarsonRuns
    Wondering if anyone has advice on how to make it easier.

Run the trails a couple dozen or more times before the race...oh wait...you went all spontaneous and signed up for this without thinking it all the way through. Never mind. :wink:

Youthful exuberance knows no bounds.
  • vmclach
    Wondering if anyone has advice on how to make it easier.

Run the trails a couple dozen or more times before the race...oh wait...you went all spontaneous and signed up for this without thinking it all the way through. Never mind. :wink:

Youthful exuberance knows no bounds.

I wouldn't ever run the course before the race. It's 31 miles lol... Also, can't limo lot my races to just within a 25 min radius! Come on now. Where's the fun in that?
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    My joke aside, I would sacrifice your speed and follow someone. Sure, it's not without it's risks, but it's kinda all you got IMO. Preferably follow an older dude with a large beard and tiny shorts. Those guys know their ****.
  • jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    I never rely on technology when I hit the trail either on a training run or a race. I've seen first hand people wandering around lost while looking at their phone because they have no signal or breaking their precious electronics by dropping them on the ground. Bring a map and know how to read it. If you need more hand holding choose a different race. I just got back from a 50 mile race in an area where we didn't have coverage at all and so remote getting there was an ultra in and of itself. I brought a map.
  • vmclach
    I never rely on technology when I hit the trail either on a training run or a race. I've seen first hand people wandering around lost while looking at their phone because they have no signal or breaking their precious electronics by dropping them on the ground. Bring a map and know how to read it. If you need more hand holding choose a different race. I just got back from a 50 mile race in an area where we didn't have coverage at all and so remote getting there was an ultra in and of itself. I brought a map.

I think the map should help.. I know the generally miles the turns should be at. I know to be on the lookout.. I guess it's just a matter of being alert/knowing the map
  • SillyC2
    SillyC2 Posts: 275 Member
    My joke aside, I would sacrifice your speed and follow someone. Sure, it's not without it's risks, but it's kinda all you got IMO. Preferably follow an older dude with a large beard and tiny shorts. Those guys know their ****.

This is what you're supposed to do. They think it "builds community". I think it allows them to select for people who are just like them. Because if you're not, the old guy in the little shorts will ditch you somehow.
  • runner475
    OHH!!Boy!!! My response really pissed you so bad that you jus' deleted me from your friend list.

It was nice meeting you, Victoria.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    I thought this was country roads. Write the turns down on your arm?
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member

I think the map should help.. I know the generally miles the turns should be at. I know to be on the lookout.. I guess it's just a matter of being alert/knowing the map

Traditional navigation isn't difficult, just waterproof your map. Carry a compass as well, you shouldn't really need it if you can orient the map and sort out your distance.

Just do the planning in advance
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member

Hey. Those short kinda older looking dudes with no beard that wear shorts (even in the winter) kinda know what they are doing. Except when it comes to eating apple pie before marathons.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    .. I tend to "space out" while running, so I'm a tad nervous.
    Spacing out on a big road race is ok (sometimes preferable) but on a trail race that is a recipe for disaster. Carry your map and your turn-by-turn directions. See if you can hop on Google Maps to see what the trail looks like also.
  • CarsonRuns

Hey. Those short kinda older looking dudes with no beard that wear shorts (even in the winter) kinda know what they are doing. Except when it comes to eating apple pie before marathons.

lol!
  • dalguard
    dalguard Posts: 36
    My last trail race was actually pretty well marked with flags at every junction but twice the person directly in front of me went the wrong way. Don't depend on another person unless you know for sure they're familiar with the course. If there are blazes (hopefully there are blazes, at least), keep a running count in your mind as to how long it's been since you've seen one. If it feels too long, turn around and see if you can spot one behind you. If it's been definitely too long, go back until you find the last one (remember to look for them in both directions). If the trail is really completely unmarked and they expect you to work from a map, hmm, I haven't run a race like that.

Anyway, spacing out isn't ever adviseable. Part of the fun of trail running vs. road running is that it engages your mind.