Running Times After Time Off

Options
OnionMomma
OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
I had to take off about 2.5-3 weeks from running. At the time I had worked hard to get to a 9:30 min mile.

I ran for the first time 2 days ago and goodness am I soo much slower. I was around a 11:30 mins mile (sometimes closer to 12.)

How long does it take to work your way back?

Currently, I am only running every other day because I don't want to aggravate my pulled ab muscle. (I got that defending myself from a super large dog who was attacking me, no bites though)

I was running 80 mile months prior to and running for 6 days per week.

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Probably about the same amount of time you took off. You'll be back to your old running self in a couple weeks. Don't worry about pace on your easy runs. Just go out there and run.
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Taking 2-3 weeks off shouldn't impact you much at all. What you experienced on your last run is likely a mental game & your body getting back into the swing of things! I've taken 2-5 weeks off and gotten faster. If you were "over worked" before, the time off might have been beneficial.
  • wombat94
    wombat94 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Based on my own recent experience, I'd agree with Carson.

Had been running a lot in the first 3 months of the year - ramping up to a pretty consistent 30+ mpw (up from a previous peak running volume of 20 - 22mpw last summer/fall).

I got a lot faster as the miles accumulated.

I had a bout with plantar fasciitis that hurt the last part of March's volume and then I decided to kick it by giving it real rest in April. I only ran 30 miles in the whole month of April, and now into the 4th week of May (my 4th week back running), I'm starting to feel like I'm getting close to where I was.

The speed/strength with running definitely returns a lot faster after a moderate layoff like that than it took to originally build up to that level.
  • Curtruns
    Curtruns Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I had to take a month off before, I was back to my pace within 2-3 weeks. I eased back in with some easy runs.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I agree that if your pace has dropped that much in only 2-3 weeks, it's most likely a mental thing. You should be back to your regular pace in no time. Actually, in my experience, when I have taken extended breaks from running, I have found that I actually always end up stronger than I was before in a relatively short amount of time.
  • HappyRunner34
    HappyRunner34 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Agree with Carson..find it interesting that some "diagnose" it as mental...listen to your body and push a bit each time to see how you respond. Don't listen to those that tell you about how "they" are...its about you, not them.
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Thanks!

I think also, the heat is playing into it as well.

We went from 60's to 90's in a matter of a couple weeks. It's like summer decided to show up and stay. No fluctuations.

I will keep plugging away those slow miles and not worry too much about it. I think it would be better to take it easy and not pull that muscle or make it to sore again. I'm going to start P.T. soon too.