Eating before a workout

Options
Katterin227
Katterin227 Posts: 105 Member
I asked this in the May workout check-in thread, but it should probably be a separate discussion rather than crowding that thread. To quote from my post:
Today was also a bit different because I was working out in the morning, instead of late afternoon/early evening. So instead of having already had a significant number of calories during the day, the only thing I had had to eat was the protein smoothie that I usually have after a workout. (I knew I wouldn't be able to make it after my workout as I had to head in straight to work, so I wouldn't have access to my blender.) I think it definitely made a difference in my energy levels. Those of you who work out in the morning, what do you eat beforehand?

Replies

• LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I eat nothing.
    I get up and I go in the AM - typically about 5am when I drag my butt out of bed
    All I have is water.
    I have coffee when I hit work at about 730am or so.
    I dont eat food til mid to late morning.

I don't like running in the PM because I feel very heavy and slow from the food of the day.
    Lifting is fine later in the day for me though.
    I don't anything like an hour before I lift at night just because that's how my food plan falls really
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    I don't workout in the morning anymore (except maybe a light cardio dvd when I can drag my lazy *kitten* out of bed) but I used to workout fasted. I'll have a glass of water or two but that's it. Like Lishie, I don't like doing cardio when I have food in my belly. With weights, I try not to eat anything an hour and a half before. That's just personal preference. I don't want to feel like I'm going to lose it all when I'm straining to push a weight around. :wink:
  • Katterin227
    Katterin227 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Yeah, when I've been working out later in the day I usually haven't had anything for a little while, or only something light. But I have already had breakfast, lunch, and some snacks, so I feel like I still have energy from those calories whereas this morning I felt like didn't have much of anything to work with. It may have been other factors rather than food, but that was one difference I knew it could be attributed to.
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I workout in the morning on the weekends; I typically eat little to nothing beforehand and have found that my energy levels are much better than when I workout during the week in the late afternoon/evening after having eaten plenty of calories for fuel. I think being at work drains more energy than you think because even though I have a desk job, I'm exhausted beyond belief when I finish my lifting on a weekday! Maybe the energy spent on digestion is too much of a zap and makes lifting more taxing? Fasted cardio is always great for me, too.
  • Iron_Duchess
    Iron_Duchess Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I usually workout after work and I prefer it. Like you, I usually have at least 1000+ calories in my system already, from most of my meals of the day, and I perform better. My form is better, I can lift more, and my rest time between sets is less. When I do cardio is late at night, after my kids are in bed, so by that time I have my entire calorie allotment. It all comes down to what is better and more convenient for you. Now, I do one lifting session Saturday mornings and I have a high carb breakfast like a muffin, otherwise I won’t be able to perform at all.
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I do my lifting in the morning and just drink my coffee laced with protein powder while I work out. Gets me through it just fine, although heaven help anyone who is between me and the kitchen when I am done.
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I grab a banana or beef jerky on the way out the door if working out before work. I'd suggest eating a bigger dinner the night before lifting, it can help. You're also just going to be naturally weaker in the morning, or at least I am. I can definitely push a lot harder with less rest later in the day than 6am. But then I HAVE to eat breakfast right afterwards or I'm starving, especially on deadlift day.
  • DianeinCA
    DianeinCA Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I don't eat before running (I drink some water and maybe coffee), but I usually lift an hour after lunch. I can't eat right before I lift though, or I will get the Burps.
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I try to eat at least a half an hour to an hour before working out. I don't have the energy to lift if I don't eat. also, I tend to lift in the afternoon and evening, because I just can't do the mornings anymore lol
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Oh and I always have a bigger bedtime snack the day before lifting.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I currently workout in the afternoon...normally 4 or 5 or as late as 6...I always have food in my system pre workout, either a full meal or a greek yogurt.

When I was in the military tho my workouts were always before breakfast...didn't seem to have much of an effect...
  • hnsaunde
    hnsaunde Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    If I lift in the morning, I don't eat beforehand, I just drink some coffee for some quick energy. I don't do it often though, because I noticed my sessions don't go nearly as well if I lift on an empty stomach.

I can do fasted cardio easily though, but I need to eat something 30 min prior to lifting or I have some major problems with my energy levels.
  • sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I got a lot of advice on the same topic: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1261756-breakfast-ideas
    Oatmeal and an hard-boiled egg is now my go-to breakfast. If I can't cook at home I just grab a filthy candy bar or some cookies :laugh:
  • KaterinaTerese
    KaterinaTerese Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I work out first thing in the morning, and I think it's psychological with me, but I have to put something in my stomach before I can fully wake up. I typically just have a cup of coffee and a few grams of peanut butter about 30 minutes before I head out.

Except when there are cookies in the cookie jar. Then I eat cookies.

Yus.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    I typically don't exercise in the morning for this very reason. If I don't eat something and get adequately hydrated before morning workouts I get a little lightheaded. I've found at least 1.5 liters of water, and mix of carbs plus fat or protein (or both) work best. So like a fruit+handful of nuts, or one of my favorites oatmeal+protein powder+chia seeds+cacao nibs. And coffee ofc :laugh:
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    If I work out at like 6 or 7 am I usually go in fasted, or just having had some coffee with coconut oil. I haven't suffered from working out fasted yet, but we will see once I get heavier with the weights. Generally the times that I work out aren't conducive to eating because I would have JUST eaten before the workout and I don't like being full. I usually work out at 6am (right before breakfast), 12pm (right about lunchtime) or 5pm (right before dinner). Usually I end up eating the meal afterwards, and -possibly- a snack beforehand.
  • ErinRibbens
    ErinRibbens Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    When I was in my 20's I worked out fasted in the morning all the time and had no trouble. I have tried that a time or 2 now in my mid-30's and I feel like my legs are lead. I have to have at least a protein bar or a banana with some PB first. Thankfully with my schedule now I work out mid-morning (like 9 am or so) and I just have a full breakfast around 6:30 and I'm good to go.

Getting older sucks sometimes. :sad:
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I workout fasted. I drink a cup of coffee and a shot of C4 and good to go for 4ish hours.
  • cstringfellow2013
    cstringfellow2013 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    When I was cardio only, I could work out in the morning before I ate. But since I now lift in the morning, I HAVE to eat something. I opt for a protein shake because it's easy.
  • CHSegl
    CHSegl Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    It's interesting to see how different everyone is! I can't eat anything before the morning workout or I feel like hurling half way thru... we usually go to the gym in the mornings due to our work schedules. If we go to the gym after work, I don't do nearly as well as in the morning. Disclaimer: I've never been able to eat much in the mornings- don't get hungry till about 9:30 or 10 am normally. Before that it's just coffee.