cut on back of heel

Options
Carrieendar
Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
Ughhh. So I have developed a cut kinda thing on the back of my left heel from a long run in a shoe that I just couldn't get laced well and tight. I have since switched into another shoe, but that cut remains! when it gets bumped on things I feel a sting of pain that drives me crazy. I teach martial arts, so I use all the parts of my foot in kicking for 4 hours a day besides running.

I feel like it just will not heal. Any tips? I know my new shoes do not rub up and down on the heel and fit well, but I think just wearing the sock and running creates friction there. Anyone figure out a way to combat this kind of injury?

Replies

• SillyC2
    SillyC2 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    How long has this been a problem? If you have a cut that won't heal, see a doctor. I don't mean to freak you out, but nowadays, a cut that won't heal could be MRSA.
  • Carrieendar
    Options
    I think cut is the wrong word...it was a blister, then like a blister on a blister with a scab that just won't stay. that kinda thing. It has been looked at a week ago and my doc just said the usual--- covered when running, open when not. I've tried those circular bandaids that people use for warts and the like. those seem to work OK...someone todl me you could get something to put int eh back of the shoe that helps but I have not been able to track down what this mystery cure is...
  • SillyC2
    Options
    Oh, okay. It's just a scab that keeps coming off and coming off and coming off. I sympathize - back in '09 I had heel cuts that never seemed to heal. I got mad at the shoes and I took up barefoot running and then didn't wear running shoes for about five months. I don't really recommend that, but it worked for me.

Do you think maybe the product the person is talking about is duct tape? Haha! :tongue: You put that OVER the circle bandaid.
  • Carrieendar
    Options
    I never thought of that....I am going to try this tomorrow. So simple... thank you!
  • PollyWolly98
    PollyWolly98 Posts: 112
    Options
    I had a huge blister recently that kept getting re-injured with each run (mine was on inside ball of my foot, not the heel). I ended up getting thicker socks and putting Vaseline on it for my runs. It took a few weeks, but I managed a 25K trail race while it was still healing. Every time I tried a bandaid while running, it shifted so wasn't helping much. I think you may want to get moleskin to put in the heel of your shoe. Good luck, I know that can be frustrating.
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Do you think maybe the product the person is talking about is duct tape? Haha! :tongue: You put that OVER the circle bandaid.

Serious LOL
  • SillyC2
    Options
    I think you may want to get moleskin to put in the heel of your shoe. Good luck, I know that can be frustrating.

Moleskin! That's definitely the product. IMO, it works well for hiking but I find that running or cross country skiing.... it tends to not really be up for the task like the duct tape.
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    What about liquid bandage? Would that work?

FWIW my son had open heart surgery when he was 6 months old, they don't get a "zipper" any more because they don't use staples here at our children's hospital, they super glue them shut.

Seriously, I am dead serious. They used a surgical steri glue. Leaves an absolutely beautiful scar!!! :heart:
  • Carrieendar
    Options
    DId 13 miels with it duct taped this morning and it did not break open or have any bleeding or further blistering but it did just plain sting/hurt throughout the run at times and for most of the last 2 miles.

I am wondering if my shoes are tooooo tight. I dunno. I took 2 aleve after and the pain went away soon after. its still a bit red. I have no pain except when in a shoe like this. *sigh*
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I've had a blistery-cut-thing on the back of my heel for, like, 4+ weeks. It's slowly healing but I keep peeling away the dead/dry skin and making it worse. I was covering it with one of the large square bandages (with neosporin underneath) for a while, making sure it was under my sock so nothing would peel it off mid-run. Now the blister-hurty-spot has gotten to the point where I can just cover it with vaseline before a long run and it's a-ok!

But I sympathize. Heel cuts/ouchies suck :(

Edit: I also read somewhere that keeping a wound covered will help it heal faster. So maybe try covering with bandaids during the day/night and see if that speeds up the process?
  • Carrieendar
    Options
    After many recommendations, I also ordered some of these off amazon:

http://www.goengo.com/

I am going to experiment with covered/ uncovered-- it definitely looks less angry today!