Resting Metabolism Rate

Options
AeiriMuse
AeiriMuse Posts: 254 Member
I have been seeing a lot of new friends having issues figuring out why they are so hungry and get the munchies late at night. Some of them wonder if they aren't eating enough, and others aren't sure if they just need to save up calories for the end of their day.

Well, to address how many calories you should be eating/drinking (since drinks that aren't water have calories, too) I pulled info from Jim Karas and put it together here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/AeiriMuse/view/base-metabolic-rate-662172

More tips from Jim state that frontloading helps avoid that hunger at the end of the day, too. Frontloading is when you eat the larger portioned meals at the beginning of your day rather than at the end. This allows you to feel satiated sooner in the day and avoids putting you in a starvation state. If you time your meals no longer than 4 hours (max) apart, including the snacks, then you can continue this and also help you feel full with less. (Don't wait until you feel hungry--since most of us have trained our bodies to go longer than we should without food, when we DO feel hungry, we've already entered the starvation mode. Chances are, though, that once you get in the schedule to eat at specific times of the day, your body will learn to tell you you're hungry before you enter starve-mode.)

Backloading is the opposite. Backloading is when you skip the first meal(s) of the day and you hoard your calories for the end of the day--extending the fast from when you sleep. Now, some people believe fasting is the way to go--and for those who know exactly how to do it and make it work, I salute them. Though, every single one I have seen have been trained professionals that specifically do it for their body type specifically. When you backload, you don't give your body enough food at the start of the day to give you the energy to do what you need to. Your body then strives to get more--at first just the small amount it just needed to call that first meal whole. Then, it will push harder and harder for you to give it a meal, until it realizes that maybe you can't. It then clicks into survival (starvation) mode where it stops burning fat, starts to store more of it, and when you DO have food in front of you, your "eyes become bigger than your stomach."

I'm hoping this helps others how it helped me. :)

Replies

• Iron_Rose
    Iron_Rose Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    This isn't new to me, but it may well be new to others. I am glad you posted this!
  • AeiriMuse
    AeiriMuse Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Thankies! I know for some beginners, they wonder why it isn't working right away and I feel this will help. It also technically shows us how important it is to couple an exercise routine with the diet. Otherwise, the first thing that is broken down to fill in for the deficit is our muscles (because they are pure protein content) before the fat. It it one of the reasons so many people have this notion that if you don't eat you will come to look sickly at lower weights; however, with a well balanced exercise routine complimenting the diet, you will not only feel better, but you will look better once the weight is off. (Instead of skin and bones, it will be skin and lean muscle! The regular exercise leads your body to burn the fat and not your muscle mass!) Not to mention exercise helps you reach your goal so much faster. :D