week 5 goals and reward!

Options
df1982
df1982 Posts: 147 Member
We are two days away from the half way mark by my calculations! In five weeks I'll be at my big family wedding. Yowzers! I feel like I have lots of work to do.

At the same time, on at least one front I've been really successful. I've definitely gotten back into a good routine of going to the gym. That was one of my goals in starting this challenge, and I think my success has a lot to do with being accountable to the group. So, thank you to those of you who are still here!

On the wellness front, I'd say I've done okay so far. I'm taking a photography course right now, which has been something I've wanted to do for myself for a while, so I'm happy about that. But, I would still like to be making more time for myself during the week - time to pick up a good novel or take a bath or paint my nails or WHATEVER. It seems to be easier said than done for me!

Eating healthy, consistently, is definitely my biggest challenge. So much so that I have decided to do another Whole30 (which is basically about eating only fruits, vegetables, meat and fats for 30 days - no sugar, dairy, gluten, etc.). When I did my first Whole30 back in January, I couldn't believe how amazing I felt. I didn't feel deprived at any time, my mood was fantastic, and after the initial transition period (during which my body adjusted to getting carbs from sweet potatoes and fruit instead of gummy candies and muffins!) I had tons of energy. It was nothing short of miraculous. But, by the end I was, understandably, tired of NOT drinking wine with friends, eating out, etc. I told myself that I would eat the Whole30 way most of the time, but would enjoy the odd bag of sweets, muffin, glass of wine, piece of pizza, etc. when the occasion was right. Which would have been a great plan. Unfortunately, for me foods like candies and muffins and pizza and chips are really addictive. I don't seem to be able to eat a small portion of my favourite treats one day and then find myself satisfied enough to steer clear of them the next day (or even for the next hour). Because of that, I almost never manage to fit them into my daily calories on MFP without sacrificing good nutrition. Soooooo, long story short I am going to steer clear of those foods altogether for a little while again. When I do go back to them (because life is too short not to drink wine and eat chocolate once a week!), I want to be more mindful of how they affect me psychologically and physically.

I'll check back in tomorrow to add how I am going to reward myself for sticking to my gym routine (going at least three times a week), finding more "me time" (I will pick up a novel at least once this week!) and completing the first week of my Whole30.

Replies

• df1982
    Options
    I stepped on the scale today and FINALLY things had moved in the right direction. I was down 2.5 pounds! It just goes to show that for my body at least, a MONTHLY weigh in would be more accurate in terms of tracking my progress than even a weekly one.

Tomorrow is the half way point of the challenge, so this small victory couldn't come at a more perfect time. I'm hoping to do even better in the second half, and movement on the scale is the perfect motivation.

To reward myself for doing well this week, I plan to get a massage! Good luck to everyone as we move through the half way mark!
  • Ramen237
    Ramen237 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Hello df1982! Hello group members! :)

I've been MIA for a few weeks, but trying to follow my goals even away from MFP. But I do enjoy sharing them on here, and I've missed this group!

First off, df1983: Congratulations on your journey thus far, you have made some amazing progress! You're right, it is SO hard to keep up a healthy eating streak once the challenge is done, in "regular life" so to speak... I've been finding that the sugar and flour that came back into my life once my 21 day challenge was out brought more problems than they solved -- I had been dreaming of the day when I can have ice cream and white bread again, but my body wasn't entirely thrilled. My face broke out and my sensitive skin started having red spots more frequently, in addition gone was that sense of lightness, physical and mental, that I had been experiencing (my 21 day challenge was about going without sugar, white flour, or fast/greasy food for 3 weeks).

As a result, I'm starting it up again starting June 1st. My group is called 21 Day Food Challenge for anyone who would like to join! :) Every person can choose their own food items they wish to go without.

I know it is already Thursday, but since the end of the week is Sunday for me, I still have some time to accomplish the goals I set for the week ;P For the most part, they are similar to the goals I set in previous weeks:

1. Walk every day, at least 20 min + keep up yoga EVERY DAY, since it has been such a help for lower back pain!
    2. Eat healthy, eat deliciously, and enjoy my meals!
    3. Let negativity flow right past me, and let positive energy into my life! Be mindful of my thoughts and behavior.

There you have it! I feel good about my goals, but the added incentive will be going to visit my boyfriend at the end of the week! Looking forward to it very much :-)

Hope everyone else's week is going well, and wishing all of you the very best of luck!!!
  • df1982
    Options
    Welcome back Ramen237! So glad you are still here with us.

I think that I am just about through telling myself I can have anything and everything in moderation, after years of following that philosophy. I would LOVE to be that person, but as soon as I allow daily treats and junk food into my diet they completely take over. My option at that point, if I am on a health kick, seems to be exercising even MORE to burn off the calories - which means doing more exercise on subpar nutrition. Not good.

I'm about a week and half into my second Whole30, and I feel a thousand times better. It is so much EASIER to stay within my calories for the day - I feel like I eat a ton (all whole foods though!), am never deprived, but am still slimming down (yay!). Of course I don't plan to be this strict once the 30 days are up, but I do plan to be much more mindful about indulging in treats. I want to learn to really enjoy them when I have them, but to make that a once and a while (week) kind of thing.