Vegan Honeymoons?

Options
daffodilsoup
daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
Fiance and I are getting married in July 2015, and would love to take our honeymoon in late July or early August (before I start my master's program). I wanted to get a little input on where you guys went on your honeymoons and any advice you might have to give!

Curt and I are both vegans, and very interested in a super relaxing, beachy trip with a sprinkle of adventure. We like the idea of all-inclusives, but we don't want to spend a ton of money on an all-inclusive if we can't eat a majority of the food.

Right now, we're looking at lots of beautiful Air BNB listings in Costa Rica, where it's pretty easy to eat vegetarian (and beautiful and green!), but I'd love to hear more about your experiences!

Replies

• FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I found a lot of vegan options in California and loved it there. I wouldn't buy an all inclusive package unless they advertise that they cater to vegans too.
  • BigVeggieDream
    BigVeggieDream Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    This wasn't a honeymoon for me, but Great Britain is very vegan friendly. Several publications have listed them as the most vegan friendly country in the world. Glasgow is the most vegan friendly city in the UK. Go to Scandinavia with caution. That's where my partner and I went. There seems to be cheese or fish broth in everything. Since we were in hostels, and they usually have kitchens, we just bought produce and pasta and had that all the time. It got a little tedious and took away a little time from sightseeing.
  • stiobhard
    stiobhard Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I havent been to Costa Rica since I was a child but my step mother likes to make me gallo pinto (black beans, rice and achiote) kind of a staple breakfast down there... there are lots of fresh foods... mangos, platanos machos, papayas, etc... i know lots of costa rican food can be made vegetarian (as i often enjoy doing... but i cant say how easily available it is... i was a child and a picky nonvegan one at that... but i remember drinking loads of condensed milk out of the little cans.... costa ricans love that stuff... ) A lot will depend where you are ... we were in a remote mountain village though we could get into san jose because my school was there. I fear the place i remember is all gone now... chased away by america tourism... but my recommendation would be the married plate ... plata casada... just be specific about no meat, butter, or eggs... but that is a working class standard there... and if you ca find some tamales that are vegetarian they are completely different from the mexican/us version... more like a san francisco burrito wrapped in a banana leaf.... my fav thing... well that and arroz con leche... i dont know if you find a meatless variation of arroz con pollo but that is the food all my family raves about.... its along the lines of a simple chicken paella.
  • Lard_Vader
    Lard_Vader Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    We go to Florida every year for family vacation (Destin/Ft. Walton area). Very beachy and lots of things to do there. I never have a problem eating there--even though there are not many specific vegan restaurants. I tend to do lots of fancy tropical salads when we eat out. The rest is stuff I pick up from the Fresh Market there. Reasonable rates on condos and would probably be half the price of a trip to Costa Rica (although that sounds really exotic and nice).
  • jocelynkyork
    jocelynkyork Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Deer Run Bed and Breakfast! I went there for my honeymoon and it was beyond perfect. 40 minute drive to Key West for nightlife, and near tons of awesome outdoor adventure. Jen and Harry are die-hard vegans and their property is incredible. It's on the Key Deer preserve!
    Jen studied under a vegan chef to learn to make the breakfasts and they are INCREDIBLE.

I can't recommend this place enough.