Hello

Options
leanne9876
leanne9876 Posts: 301 Member
Hi everyone, I have a bad food addiction and I can't control it. I just found this group and I'm looking forward to talking about my addiction with other people who understand how I feel.

I over eat all the time. My portions are huge, when I do try portion control I am not satisfied and I go on eating all night long. I don't know what to do to control it. I can't control myself. It's a constant battle all the time. I am just so depressed with being so fat but I can't stop eating.

Replies

• jltheis7
    jltheis7 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    It's Monday night, after a 4 day weekend, and just thinking about going into work tomorrow is making me crave junk food. I have a good job, it's just this one person who totally stresses me out. I have used the policies to deal with it and I am actively working on coping skills to use but every week it's the same stressed out feeling. I am going to try working out, journaling and a hot bath with aromatherapy.
  • Farmgirlsy
    Farmgirlsy Posts: 5
    Options
    Hi Leanne I am the same way. I eat/snack all the time. Often, I am not hungry, I just want it for the pleasure of the taste. And like jltheis, I eat when I am stressed. In fact, I eat when I am happy, or sad, or sick Lots of times, if I see someone eating something, then I want some too, and will later get some of that. If I have something salty, I usually want something sweet. I really like bread. I like McDonalds. I don`t seem to have the self control to say no. I am either on or off a diet. And when I am off, I am really off. So, what do I do? It helps to have an outside control like MFP (giving me limits). It helps for me not to drive by fast food restaurants on the way to or from work. It is a must to have healthy snacks in the house. At least the good thing about being a food addict is that I like healthy foods as well as junk food. So summer is a great time for my favourite fruit. I have to learn to think differently, including that food should be more about being just fuel for the body, and the body needs healthy food. And I have to notice that healthy people aren`t just healthy because of good genes, but because of the choices they make. There is a reason that my co-workers have salads, or just a protein and veggies for a meal, and it is not because they like it, it is because they have self-control and food is not the be-all-and-end-all. And like jltheis said, we have to keep busy. You are not alone in this struggle.
  • jltheis7
    Options
    Hi! I am so glad I prefer to make my own food and I don't like fast food or soda. I grew up eating fresh/home canned foods and we drank water. My food of choice is anything made with white flour, sugar, potatoes. I had already lost 113 lbs last year, regained 22 after getting hurt this spring at work and stressful stuff. I have 102 lbs to lose at this point. I am following the guidelines from The Hunger Fix by Dr. Pam Peeke, which addresses the mind, the mouth and the muscle together to deal with food addiction. I have set a goal to read the book again this next week, a chapter a day. Now, it's supper and a walk.
  • Farmgirlsy
    Farmgirlsy Posts: 5
    Options
    I haven`t heard of that book, but it sounds interesting. Please let us know if you find it helpful. I have done weight watchers and TOPS (Take Off Pounds Sensibly), and I briefly looked into overeaters anonymous once, but after auditing an online meeting, I decided it really wasn`t what I was looking for. Congrats on that weight loss, jlteis, and for getting back on track. You should be proud of both those things. I have only been on this website for two days, but was shocked at how fast the sugar adds up on the food diary. I really had no idea how much sugar I must have been eating. And I know I was totally eating high carbs. I hope you have a good day at work tomorrow and good for you for really using your coping skills!
  • jltheis7
    Options
    I did have success with The Hunger Fix as I lost 113 lbs. I haven't seen results the last few months since the injury (leg fracture and then shin splints) really make it tough to exercise at the intensity I need then stress and supportive co-workers....right now I'm writing down every reason/excuse/rationalization I use to make unhealthy choices. After 24 hours, I'm going to go over them and find my weaknesses and figure out my Epipha-Me, or reason to do it differently. What am I giving up or stopping myself from having in my life by staying obese?
  • Sumner100Christ_follower
    Options
    I am ashamed to admit this, but I have heard the first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem. I am overweight. I am a binge-eater, and I need help to quit binge eating forever. The day before I began my fitness pal I consumed approximately 8,830 calories in one day, and it wasn't even a special occasion. I calculated it. Though, I am sure there were many days in which I consumed more than this. In fact, I don't know if that day would even make my top 100 binge-eating days, but I never calculated how many calories I consumed those other days. One day I ate two medium full-size delivery pizzas loaded with toppings. Another day, my mother gave me a huge extremely sweet, rich, and chocolatey ice cream cake for my birthday, and I ate the entire cake within two days except for two small slices. In December, I went to the movie theater, and just while watching one film I consumed 3 jumbo popcorn containers with extra butter by myself. I think I could talk about my binge-eating failures for hours. However, when I am not binge-eating I eat mostly low-calorie healthy food. When I am not binge-eating I am a strong proponent for saving the environment and eating healthy, and when I am binge eating I feel like a hypocrite. Though, I love good tasting food so much that I feel like I could eat it forever. I really appreciate food that makes my taste senses explode with joy. I also binge-eat during almost all celebrations or when I am depressed. Additionally, when I am not binge-eating I think very few people eat healthier than me. I have been doing okay recently, but I do not know when I will not be able to resist the urge to binge eat again. To complicate things I am a Christian, and in Christianity over eating is considered the sin of gluttony. I am trying to get in shape because 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 ESV reads: "Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body." Thus, I really want to get in as good of shape as possible spiritually and physically.