First Marathon Taper Advice

Options
Linli_Anne
Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
I'm running my first marathon on June 15th.

I have been training on a modified Hal Higdon plan since January 1st, and things have been going great, but I'm starting to question how best to manage my runs in the next 3 weeks leading up to the race.

My modified plan has me running the following:

5/26 - 5 miles
5/27 - 7 miles
5/29 - 5 miles
5/30 - 4 miles (this might get missed due to a time conflict on Friday)
6/1 - 15 miles (Long Slow Run)

6/3 - 6 miles
6/4 - 5 miles
6/5 - 5 miles
6/6 - 4 miles
6/8 - 10 miles (Long Slow Run)

6/10 - 5 miles
6/11 - 4 miles
6/12 - 4 miles

6/15 - 26.2

I'm wondering if I should be cutting back more on the weekly miles, or cutting down my last 2 long slow runs, to maybe 10 and 8 each?

Looking to the seasoned runners for any input to make these last few weeks beneficial to the main event.

6/6 - 4 miles

Replies

• Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I always keep some quality (MP stuff or fartlek intervals) in my taper and cut back on the extra, slower mileage. So , instead of running 4 easy I might do 1 warm up, 2 MP, 1 cool down. Or a workout with warm up, 6-8x 1 min, cool down . Less mileage but keeping some swiftness in the legs.

Edit: I also would not take off so many days before the race. If throw an easy 3 in there
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    What mileage have you bro ally been doing?

This looks good for someone who usually runs 45ish miles a week on average & maybe peaked at 55?

Do you do workouts? You need to keep intensity up during a taper. If you feel tired, cut back on the mileage..

I'm usually a 60+ mile a week girl.. I have my taper down to a science. I typically only run 3 3-5 mile runs the week of a full so I usually hit like 40 miles that week with the marathon.

If you feel tired, take a day.

Hay is in the barn at this point
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Good advice above ^^^ Mot people taper too much and then you end up with "dead legs" for the race. Reduce volume but not intensity. If you would normally do (example) 4 x 1 mile intervals on Wednesday still do that, but make it 2 instead of 4. And I recommend you run the day before (morning ideally). Do one mile easy, then do stride for about 1/2 a mile (20-30" seconds of fast followed by a slow jog, maybe 4-5 times) and then cool down the last 1/2 mile for two total miles. Keeps those legs alive for the next day

You did not ask this but if you have not been training with what they will have for sport drink and gels during the race (assuming you are going to take what is offered) you need to either try that so that you know it works for you or bring your own. Can't have any stomach problems now can we? :)
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    My typical training weeks up to this point have been to run Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays, rest Friday and Saturdays, and do my long slow runs on Sundays.

Tuesdays would typically be my speed work/interval days.

I have fine tuned my race day sport drink and gummies of choice by trying different things throughout my training, so I'm not worried about that.

I don't want to go in to the race so "rested" that I don't perform how I want to, or risk going out too fast. But, I want my body to carry me the distance. My 20 mile runs have all felt pretty good, with the exception of my last one where I suffered from a bit of stomach cramping at mile 18 due to my monthly cycle.

My goal is to cross the finish line with a smile on my face because of what I have accomplished not just on that day, but over the last 6 months of training (including 3 16/17 mile runs on the treadmill due to extreme windchill conditions). The competitor in me would love to finish sub 5:00, but finishing is #1.
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are ready! Trust your training and stay with the pace you plan for at least the first 1/2 (unless it feels too fast). What tends to happen is people get caught up in the excitement and the pace is feeling pretty easy so they pick it up a notch. That first 1/2 *should* feel pretty easy. And if it is too easy you'll get it in the last miles. Have fun!!!!!!!!!