Diet Bet (Friendly competition)

Options
FeraFilia
FeraFilia Posts: 4,664 Member
Have you all seen the website dietbetter(dot)com? I'm not advertising for it or anything, I was just wondering if It would be possible to do a little no money or pictures involved, honor system based, friendly competition. I want to see if I can do this (without money involved) before I go put money down. :)

I don't really like the 4% in 4 weeks, because I'd have to lose 13 pounds in 4 weeks, and I'm not sure that's a healthy rate of loss (even for someone at 325). But maybe try the first month of the 10% in 6 months bet? It's described like this, each round is a month:

Round 1 – 3%
Round 2 – 6% cumulative
Round 3 – 8% cumulative
Round 4 – 9% cumulative
Round 5 – 10% cumulative
Round 6– Maintain 10% cumulative

So, me for example, at 325 pounds, would have to lose 32.5 pounds in 5 months (which seems pretty doable) and then maintain in the 6th month So for me, my goals would be

Start Weight: 325

Round 1 – 3% (goal 315.25)
Round 2 – 6% cumulative (goal 305.5)
Round 3 – 8% cumulative (goal 299)
Round 4 – 9% cumulative (goal 295.75)
Round 5 – 10% cumulative (goal 292.75)
Round 6– Maintain 10% cumulative (maintain)

Goal Weight: 292.75

Would anyone be interested in a little friendly competition? Either for 1 month, or all 6? (I'm a bit competitive by nature, and I find it motivates me!)

Replies

• cindyb1984
    cindyb1984 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I would maybe be interested...

Couple of questions:

1. Why make the goals so much smaller as time passes? This works for people with a lower starting weight, but at 347 pounds, I don't want my goal to be 4lbs in a month.

2. Why maintain for a month?
  • FeraFilia
    FeraFilia Posts: 4,664 Member
    Options
    I would maybe be interested...

Couple of questions:

1. Why make the goals so much smaller as time passes? This works for people with a lower starting weight, but at 347 pounds, I don't want my goal to be 4lbs in a month.

2. Why maintain for a month?

This is just how the website has it set up. If we were to start it up here, I'm completely okay with making it something like 2% per month or something. I was just using their layout. I'm assuming it's for people with a closer-to-goal starting weight.
  • Etherlily1
    Etherlily1 Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    I'm game. I don't mind the competition. I'm part of a group on FB that is a friendly competition as well. Summer Slimdown
  • m23prime
    m23prime Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    May I also point out that for really big people, the initial loss--which includes a lot of fluid trapped in the tissues and such, can be quite dramatic, especially if you are suddenly substituting water for pop or coffee.

So even if you set your calorie deficit to 2 lbs a week (the maximum MFP officially allows) AND you don't eat back all of your exercise calories (just the ones you really really need:huh: ) you are going to hit all of the targets you have set.

Competition motivates a lot of people (Doesn't it, Russ?) but my experience has been that if you approach the initial stages of an MFP lifestyle change (we don't DIET here) with honesty and integrity you are going to enjoy some initial success that will excite and motivate you all by itself.

Of course, I assume you will win your bet no matter how much extra you lose, so if you can get someone to take book on your projected numbers, you will be in the money!
  • smacmillan86
    smacmillan86 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I'm part of two different dietbets on dietbetter.com a 6 month transformer that's almost over and a 1 month 4% challenge. It's not as bad as you think just bite the bullet and join us! :-)