High carb snacks

Carrieendar
Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
What are some healthy, high carb snacks that you eat? I am trying to bump up my carb intake and need some ideas beyond my staple apples, bananas and granola w/yogurt. Thanks for any ideas!!

Replies

• laurasuzanne2006
    laurasuzanne2006 Posts: 103 Member
    a lot of the newer research isn't really in support of high carbs and running anymore actually. I personally do enjoy a cliff bar and banana pre race.
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    a lot of the newer research isn't really in support of high carbs and running anymore actually. I personally do enjoy a cliff bar and banana pre race.
    Can you back this up with something? Link? Carbs are necessary for everyone, especially runners.
  • Carrieendar
    I feel strongly that carbs do allow for better performance; I admit much of my reasoning comes from following Matt Fitzgerald's advice, but he has compounded almost all the current research out there and presents it in a great way in books, blogs and articles. But it's cool that others practice their endurance running differently!

I'd love to discover snacks endurance runners here use that are not just a cliff bar or the like. I do like those, but they are somewhat expensive and kinda lacking in nutrition (sugar as second ingredient and the like...).
  • ZenInTexas

I'd love to discover snacks endurance runners here use that are not just a cliff bar or the like. I do like those, but they are somewhat expensive and kinda lacking in nutrition (sugar as second ingredient and the like...).
    Rice, bagels, sweet potatoes, regular potatoes, fruit, veggies, oatmeal, dried fruit, fig newtons, pretzels, chocolate milk.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member

Rice, bagels, sweet potatoes, regular potatoes, fruit, veggies, oatmeal, dried fruit, fig newtons, pretzels, chocolate milk.

You must be raiding my cabinets. I got nothin' to add to that list. Well, Cheez-Its and Goldfish.
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    I second (and third) the bagels, oatmeal, and chocolate milk
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    This is obvious, but fruits & veggies. IMO it's the best way to increase carb intake without overdoing it with fat.
  • Carrieendar
    I never thought to use oatmeal as a snack, but it makes perfect sense. I could even really up the carbs with a serving of blueberries/strawberries or the like (its that season around here!).
  • trail_rnr
    trail_rnr Posts: 337 Member
    I recently discovered dried sweet potatoes at my local Asian market. OMG. To die for. I already have a dried mango addiction problem--I'm afraid I am trading it for a dried sweet potato problem.
  • NorthCountryDreamer
    NorthCountryDreamer Posts: 115 Member
    It is frustrating to sort out those ratios. Some follow the 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% Fat diet. Fitzgerald says to match the higher carbs to higher activity. I found that I initially reached weight loss goals by upping my protein to 20-25% and staying, on average, at 2,300 calories. As I increase my activities I find that I add more carbs while still watching closely my total calorie intake to ensure that my weight goes down.

There are examples of various ratios in diets that have worked for athletes. On average my ratio appears to stay around 50% carbs, 25% fat and 25% protein. That ratio varies depending on the days meals and activities. Real food (vegetables, fruit, nuts, etc.) is always best to start with.
  • Carrieendar
    Yeah I have been hovering lower in Fitzgeralds g/kg bodyweight chart, but now that I am nearing 50-60 mpw plus lifting, plyo, yoga and teaching martial arts as a my job...I know I need to bump higher into the 3.25-3.75 g/lb range, but I am usually short by about 100 carbs, which I feel like I can get just with some better snack ideas. I do find that when I dip lower on carbs for consecutive days, my run performances seem to suffer.

If I could throw some nuts and a chocolate milk in there, I think I would hit my goal. Or the oatmeal + fruit or some of these other ideas. thanks everyone!!
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Oatmeal and Chocolate milk.

AND APPLES! Don't forget the Apples!
  • ZenInTexas
    Oatmeal and Chocolate milk.

AND APPLES! Don't forget the Apples!
    :laugh:
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Blueberries