heartburn

Options
tzig00
tzig00 Posts: 875 Member
I just figured out that drinking water gives me heartburn. I have food in my stomach so the whole empty tummy thing isn't the deal but I went to drink water and had immediate heartburn. I'm supposed to drink water but can't stand it with flavoring in it and natural fruit gives me mouth sores. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to get water in my system?

Replies

• lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I lived on Pelligrino. For some reason--not sure if was the minerals or the carbonation--it made me feel great while I was pregnant. I can't stand it normally, but I think we spent $500 on that stuff over the course of a few months as I was drinking 5 or 6 bottles a day! Maybe try sparkling or mineral waters? What about teas? I also drank of ton of teas (iced & hot) while pregnant.
  • tzig00
    Options
    Tea unfortunately does the same thing to me. I would love sweet tea but can't drink it. I'll try to Pelligrino and see if that works. Thanks for the tip!
  • meggwyn
    meggwyn Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I find that water exacerbates my heart burn once i have it, but it doesn't cause it. I use Tums Smoothies when it comes on. Vinegar actually (surprisingly) can help b/c it neutralizes the stomach acid. Drinking some apple cider vinegar in a cup of water can help. I usually end up eating a vegetable salad (like cukes/tomatoes, etc) with lots of balsamic vinegar. I avoid bready stuff (especially whole wheat) b/c it seems to bring on heart burn. Once my heart burn has abated, I can drink water again. Being properly hydrated can actually help keep it at bay as well! EmergenC packets are great in water, too!

I hope you can find a solution b/c heart burn is SO awful!!! :(
  • HeyNikkita
    HeyNikkita Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I ate pineapple and I could feel that reflux the second it hit my stomach. It has been worse the past week or two (34W).
  • tzig00
    Options
    I talked to my doc about it and she said to take Zantac twice a day. She didn't want me taking Tums anymore because I was taking them after every time I ate and they can cause stones (I think Kidney stones). I tried the Perrier sparkling water and I didn't get any heartburn from that so I think I'm sticking with that. Time to get hydrated again.
  • melaniedsm
    melaniedsm Posts: 55
    Options
    I was told by the ultrasound tech, that the same hormone that causes heartburn also causes hair growth. If you are having a girl you can think of all the super cute hair bows. Maybe that is just me, but that is what made it a little more tolerable. I just kept thinking it was her adorable hair growing. Lola did come out with a full head of hair and at 7 months I can put pig tails in.