Check in May 28, 2014

Options

Replies

• KarenZen
    KarenZen Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options

Karen, I am so sick of this weather. I might be able to open the pool by August the way we are going! When I took the kids to school this morning it was 42! Grrrrrr.

Hugs!! :flowerforyou:

Yup! 46 degrees here right now... 1:00 p.m.
    I'm staring at the beautiful lake outside my front door and I swear I see a skim of ice on it again.
  • KarenZen
    Options
    I had a doctor tell me that your urine should be between the color of lemonade and clear. If it isn't, you aren't getting enough water. So, my challenge to you, if you aren't already taking life's lemons and making your own "lemonade" *WINK*, drink one more glass of water today...what can it hurt?

Hahahahahahaha!!!! I LOVE this.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Thanks, y'all! Oh, and I realized that I didn't finish out that calculation - that is 3500-4500 calories to gain 1 single pound! So I doubt any of us are there... Water weight, when our body is almost all water-based - is such a huge deal. I struggle to get my water almost every day, but I can tell you it helps - it helps with water weight, it helps with craving, and it helps with getting me moving - even if I'm only increasing my steps by doubling my daily trips to the bathroom! :)
  • fpelletier
    fpelletier Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon pals! Whew what a busy week it's been already and it's only Wed! I have made so many phone calls to make appts for the month of June and between sports camps/practices, I might cry!

So anywho, yesterday was my hubby and I's 14 yr anniversary but I had to take my 9 yr old to her end of season softball party. They had pizza & cake and I did not eat a single bite! Mostly because I had mexican lasagne waiting on me at home, and I knew I could have a slice of cake and fit it in, but I had no desire too. That's a win for me! It was chocolate cake y'all!

My plans for each day are usually about the same, I meal plan every 2 weeks for dinner, so when I shop I mostly only buy what is on my list. We typically eat a "normal" dinner meaning I don't always make everything lowfat or low calorie but we eat generally low cal breakfast & lunches so it works out OK for us. My biggest issue is getting my butt in gear to exercise, I just got 30 day shred I need to try and we bought a total gym type of equipment for $20!!!! on a yard sale site :) WOOT!

I want to catch up on everyone individually but I have to run right now, but I"ll be back to check in on you :)
  • KarenZen
    Options
    Well gang, I decided to celebrate my 30 pound victory with a "spa day," but since I can't afford a spa day right now, instead I spent $10 on a jar of VO5 deep conditioner for my hair and a tube of dead sea mask for my face. Sitting at the computer right now, deep conditioning and masking. When i figure out how to do the picture posting thing that Heather and Pat do, I'll post one of my glorious bright blue face!

On the way home from my grocery run this morning, I had one of those out of control moments with a carton of slim-a-bear no sugar added icecream bars. I ate one in the parking lot of the grocery store. Ate another driving down the first road, Ate a third on the second road. When I found myself unwrapping the fourth and knew I would eat the whole package of six, I decided to do some hucking. Yes, folks, the squirrels and possums of Maine are eating slim-a-bear bars today. I'm very happy for them... Finally at their morbid obesity support group meetings they can talk about something other than the donuts and french fries I usually huck at them. In total, I only ingested an extra 300 calories and will easily swim that off tonight, but I'd like to get to a point in my battle with food where I don't have this type of compulsion. Maybe I never will be able to control it... maybe, like an alcoholic or drug addict, I need to just not put my substance in reach, especially when I am alone.

I have a busy day today and won't be posting my usual volumes, but I'm with you all in spirit!
    K.
  • KarenZen
    Options
    I think tracking it all is a really good thing to do unless you can't! LOL. At the Graduation Party I ate way too much of two different cakes.. I couldn't log that if I tried because there were no set portions and one was home made. Call me picky but to track I have to have it exact. When that kind of thing happens I just have to write it off and carry on. I think the difference now is that when I have to do something like that I AM getting back on that horse and eating healthy again.

Julie, I do a lot of "guessing" with the tracker. It's way, way too much of a bother to type in all my recipes and get exact calorie counts, so I dig around and try a few different ones. You can search "homemade chocolate cake with vanilla frosting", check the calorie count on a few, and take the average. You won't get the exact, calories or macros, but you WILL have a record to look back on, and I'm finding that's just as useful and revealing. I few days ago, I scrolled back over all of my food diaries and was really shocked by the number of times I grab something from a drive-thru. Usually it's a pretty good choice, like a Dunkin Donuts eggwhite flatbread, but still, I know it's healthier for my body if I make something at home that's fresh. Seeing that record just solidified for me one of the changes I can make. I know Patrick challenged you to record everything last week. I'd like to challenge you for today through next Wednesday to do the same. I'll do it too! And go back and log that cake and I'll go back and try to recreate the mess of yesterday, including the icecream cone I ate on the DRIVE TO THE GYM!!! Yes, I ate icecream in the gym parking lot.
  • BodyByChipsAhoy
    BodyByChipsAhoy Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I try to track my food for the next day the night before. I typically eat the same things for breakfasts and lunches so it's not too difficult. Unfortunately today I chucked my normal 300-ish calorie salad for a 7 layer Mexican wrap, baked chips and 8oz of Coke. But I LIAMO (love the expression, btw).

I also have to get my food ready the night before, or I won't have time in the morning. It usually works.

~Becky
  • PatrickB_87
    PatrickB_87 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    On the way home from my grocery run this morning, I had one of those out of control moments with a carton of slim-a-bear no sugar added icecream bars. I ate one in the parking lot of the grocery store. Ate another driving down the first road, Ate a third on the second road. When I found myself unwrapping the andfourth and knew I would eat the whole package of six, I decided to do some hucking. Yes, folks, the squirrels and possums of Maine are eating slim-a-bear bars today. I'm very happy for them... Finally at their morbid obesity support group meetings they can talk about something other than the donuts and french fries I usually huck at them. In total, I only ingested an extra 300 calories and will easily swim that off tonight, but I'd like to get to a point in my battle with food where I don't have this type of compulsion. Maybe I never will be able to control it... maybe, like an alcoholic or drug addict, I need to just not put my substance in reach, especially when I am alone.

Hi Karen, you just let use know when you need to bailed out of jail for all those littering fines . :)

Your right that you may never be able to control your food urges. The conclusion I cam to early on with foods like that and other items I can't seem to control myself around was simply to not have them int he house. I'm not cutting them out of my life all together but I don't bring temptation food in the house unless its in a single serving. If i want a soda i walk to the gas station and buy a single bottle, if i want ice-cream i go get a single serving, chips only in single serving bags that I might buy with a sandwich. It's just the way it has to bee for me. I can have these things but I can be in control of them. it makes it a lot easier to deal with temptation and desire. If I have a craving while shopping a go around to all the items and look at their nutritional label and i go the math, wich usually helps reassure me that the pitiful serving size for that amount of calories wouldn't be something I found satisfying. Granted now you have me thinking about It's-it.
  • blondageh
    blondageh Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    :laugh: Oh lordy, Karen. I had to share your feeding the Squirrel's stories with my husband at lunch. And the eating the ice cream in the gym parking lot..too funny. Hey, no one can ever accuse us of not being honest. The best part is you were AT the gym! Which is a lot more than I can say. :laugh:

I so need to see blue face!

You need to sign up for a free account here: http://tinypic.com/ or www.photobucket.com and just upload your pictures to one of those sites. Then, copy the image tags to here to share. For example, my pictures are uploaded to photobucket.

The link to these pictures is here: http://s140.photobucket.com/user/BlondageH/story/34827

To show them, I add: [ img ] before and [ /img ] after the link. So the [ img ] link [ /img ] (Remove the spaces though)

It sounds confusing at first, but once you do it a few times, it's easy.
  • blondageh
    Options

Hi Karen, you just let use know when you need to bailed out of jail for all those littering fines . :)

Your right that you may never be able to control your food urges. The conclusion I cam to early on with foods like that and other items I can't seem to control myself around was simply to not have them int he house. I'm not cutting them out of my life all together but I don't bring temptation food in the house unless its in a single serving. If i want a soda i walk to the gas station and buy a single bottle, if i want ice-cream i go get a single serving, chips only in single serving bags that I might buy with a sandwich. It's just the way it has to bee for me. I can have these things but I can be in control of them. it makes it a lot easier to deal with temptation and desire. If I have a craving while shopping a go around to all the items and look at their nutritional label and i go the math, wich usually helps reassure me that the pitiful serving size for that amount of calories wouldn't be something I found satisfying. Granted now you have me thinking about It's-it.

Me thinks RatsPats has been tippin' a few back today....:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

:tongue:
  • KarenZen
    Options
    Nah... he's typing on his phone. I recognize Droid-ese.
  • blondageh
    Options

:laugh: Dang, I really wanted to know what these its-its were..
  • angelic843
    angelic843 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Checking in!!

I made it through an entire day of mindful eating and logging every bite. (Which is huge given my mental struggles of the past year)

Thanks for all of the welcomes yesterday...it was really appreciated.

I LOVE the idea of LIAMO. I really struggle with going off track following a small slip up.

I'm especially proud of my success yesterday because I am both sick (sinus/respiratory infection) and pre-menstrual. (Sorry boys)

So here's to day two!
  • blondageh
    Options
    That is awesome, Angelic! Day 2 then 3. It seems like I just started again yesterday and I think tomorrow will be day 55. It becomes a habit. Before I even check Facebook or anything else, I'm on here logging, tracking, typing. One step at a time. Don't let any set back stop you. Like AA, keep coming back.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    The strangest tip I've been given lately, and this was from my endocrinologist - was to up my fat! Upping my fat? I thought, how on earth can I lose weight while increasing my fat?? I'm still bamboozled, but I'm well into week 2 of upping my fat and protein, and lowering my carbs. The fat is helping to decrease my sweets cravings. I feel full longer, and therefore I'm less inclined to snack. The less sugary fruits are helping with that sweet tooth (I had no idea how much of a sugar hit bananas and cantaloupe were - and I was eating a banana a day!). It is wild.

I know that this won't work for everyone, and I'm sure his recommendation was due in part to my lowering my cholesterol 20 points in a few months by eating two eggs daily, but it just goes to show how little I understand about the human body. Guess I should definitely pay attention to my doctor and not to everything I think I learned along the way. Now, don't get me wrong, I still have sweets/carb cravings, but they are much less, and much more manageable. It is wacky. In case anyone is wondering, he and I reviewed the calories MFP gives me daily (at zero exercise, so that I can see the impact of my workouts), the walking/workouts my FitBit calculates (and estimation of activities not calculated by it), and all of that, he said for me, that number is pretty decent. He told me to adjust my intake to 25% carbs / 50%-30% protein (more for better weight loss) / and that balance in fat (preferably healthy - I'm still working on that part - figured I would cut myself a little slack until I get used to the carb part) which is 25%-45%, depending. I definitely recommend reviewing all this with your doctor, but I wanted to share my current path in case it creates talking points for anyone else!

Now, side note - I did sleep a whole lot this weekend (nearly double my usual!) - and someone suggested it might be due to ketosis, but I have no idea if I am in ketosis or not, so I don't know if this is it. Just a side note before anyone drastically modifies their diet - I tapered off my carbs to this level - I wasn't brave enough to just leap in. I don't know if that helped me or hurt...LOL
  • KarenZen
    Options
    The strangest tip I've been given lately, and this was from my endocrinologist - was to up my fat! Upping my fat? I thought, how on earth can I lose weight while increasing my fat?? I'm still bamboozled, but I'm well into week 2 of upping my fat and protein, and lowering my carbs. The fat is helping to decrease my sweets cravings. I feel full longer, and therefore I'm less inclined to snack. The less sugary fruits are helping with that sweet tooth (I had no idea how much of a sugar hit bananas and cantaloupe were - and I was eating a banana a day!). It is wild.

I know that this won't work for everyone, and I'm sure his recommendation was due in part to my lowering my cholesterol 20 points in a few months by eating two eggs daily, but it just goes to show how little I understand about the human body. Guess I should definitely pay attention to my doctor and not to everything I think I learned along the way. Now, don't get me wrong, I still have sweets/carb cravings, but they are much less, and much more manageable. It is wacky. In case anyone is wondering, he and I reviewed the calories MFP gives me daily (at zero exercise, so that I can see the impact of my workouts), the walking/workouts my FitBit calculates (and estimation of activities not calculated by it), and all of that, he said for me, that number is pretty decent. He told me to adjust my intake to 25% carbs / 50%-30% protein (more for better weight loss) / and that balance in fat (preferably healthy - I'm still working on that part - figured I would cut myself a little slack until I get used to the carb part) which is 25%-45%, depending. I definitely recommend reviewing all this with your doctor, but I wanted to share my current path in case it creates talking points for anyone else!

Now, side note - I did sleep a whole lot this weekend (nearly double my usual!) - and someone suggested it might be due to ketosis, but I have no idea if I am in ketosis or not, so I don't know if this is it. Just a side note before anyone drastically modifies their diet - I tapered off my carbs to this level - I wasn't brave enough to just leap in. I don't know if that helped me or hurt...LOL

This doesn't sound wacky to me at all. My doctor and nutritionist both said the same thing--more protein, more fat, fewer carbs. Both the Atkins recipes and South Beach Diet are really helpful for ideas on low carb cooking. Mostly, though, I try to eat more proteins (meat or legumes) and veggies. When I start eating carbs again (like my latest bread festival), I feel crappier, don't lose weight, and am hungry all the time.

I think to reach ketosis you have to get under 20 grams of carbs/day. It's not the dangerous type of ketosis that diabetics worry about--it's really just the point when your body has to break down fat for fuel because it ran out of carbs. You can actually buy little sticks from the pharmacist to test the levels of ketones in your urine if you're interested. On Atkins, you're supposed to stay in ketosis--then you can eat bacon and cream and cheese to your hearts' content because your body is processing the fats so quickly.

I know low carb diet sounds terrible to most people, but boy does it feel good once you clear all those carbs out of your system. I swear I lose ten pounds of water weight after three days under 20 carb grams (which typically means just carbs from veggies and maybe a little fruit). Actually, I am long overdue for a good carb detox... just got inspired to start tomorrow. Thank you!!!
  • blondageh
    Options
    Nope. Sounds Great! We were brain washed for so long about low fat this or that that we filled up on sugar and carbs and tricked our bodies. I have been watching carbs as in little bread, no pasta, I will let myself have a baked potato every once in a while.
  • angelic843
    angelic843 Posts: 252 Member
    Options

Hard to believe, but the research is pretty clear on this! The biochemical processes required to convert digested fat into body fat make it a much better alternative to carbs/sugar. I learned a lot about it from thesmarterscienceofslim podcast. Now I just need to work on applying the principles....baby steps.
  • PatrickB_87
    PatrickB_87 Posts: 738 Member
    Options

:laugh: Dang, I really wanted to know what these its-its were..

You've never heard of an It's-It? You don't know what your missing.

Me and my iphone don't get along well typing wise.
  • mikesgirl4evr
    mikesgirl4evr Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Hello all! Sorry I haven't been around but I've been without cable/internet for a bit. I''m still on track though. My 16 yr old overweight son has even begun watching what he is eating, tracking his food, and exercising more. Makes me proud.