informing not arguing

Options
Quinnstinct
Quinnstinct Posts: 274 Member
I know better, but a group I'm in on FB started a thread about how dangerous and awful Crossfit is so I chimed in that I've done it and really loved it. Now people are posting links to huffington post Rhabdo article and I would like to quell the hysterics and inform a large group of people who have not done crossfit that it's not any more dangerous than any pursuit of fitness. The fear-mongering and hype annoys me.

What would you or have you said to respond to this kind of criticism before?

Replies

• Quinnstinct
    Options
    Oh, I found this from ascrit in a past thread and posted it.

http://www.stack.com/2013/12/11/crossfit/
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Haters gonna hate.
  • sayhitostephz
    sayhitostephz Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Haters gonna hate.

This.
  • Quinnstinct
    Options
    I don't know if it's hating at this point versus being TOTALLY ignorant and passing along inflammatory information for the sake of causing a stir. But I do see a lot of crossfit hate, why do you think that is?
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, a few rotten gyms have spoiled the entire barrel - and the CrossFit brand. People think it's dangerous, it's a cult, it's too expensive, etc.

I choose not to argue. When it comes to my friends well, my results speak for themselves. If someone is capable of having a decent conversation about it though my points are:

1) CrossFit has done more to remove the mystery around barbells and promote weight lifting for women than any other sport.

2) CrossFit is a group activity and, like any group activity, members typically have similar interests and get along with each other. CrossFitters support each other in and out of the gym, whether it's other forms of exercise, nutrition or just life in general. If that's a cult, than so is any team sport.

3) When you consider the group size, or the number of trainers, it's is like having a personal trainer at the ready. To me, that's worth the $$$. Also, it's no one's business what I spend my money on...

4) Everyone who I have seen get hurt, including myself, openly admits that they brought it upon themselves because...ego.

:-)
  • MarineCodie
    MarineCodie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I know my box is awesome.

I know I personally do not let my form suffer to get more reps.

I drink some damn water.

I look damn good.

HATRZ GON HATE
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options

What would you or have you said to respond to this kind of criticism before?

I have argued in the past that the injury rate in CrossFit is poorly documented but what there is so far does not exceed the injury rate of contact sports such as rugby, American football, football (soccer, for you guys) and other high risk sports.

I've personally seen more horse related injuries than CrossFit related ones, and have suffered more problems myself running than I have with CrossFit.

A common complaint the PT at my work gym makes is around the use of Olympic lifting and high reps. He tries to go into slow twitch vs. fast twist muscles but CrossFit athletes on the whole probably don't lift enough weight to recruit fast twitch muscle fibres.

Now I don't bother. Just walk away. It's clear to me he doesn't want anyone but him to do Oly's because he thinks he is a total bro.
  • MDLNH
    MDLNH Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I've actually shared/posted this article to my FB page:

"I Don’t Care If You Don’t CrossFit" - http://ifailedfran.com/i-dont-care-if-you-dont-crossfit/

** I'm truly happy for what-ever you choose for your fitness and exercise. And while it may not be for me, I'm not going to tell you it's bad for you and rage against you for doing it. But until you have tried CrossFit, please don't speak un-informed about it. **
  • bully_lady
    bully_lady Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    http://breakingmuscle.com/crossfit/a-physical-therapists-viewpoint-on-the-safety-of-crossfit

I love the above article for a somewhat balanced view of CF.

I have experienced quite a lot of hate too and I'm always perplexed at why anybody would rain on my parade of health, wellness, and a serious attitude improvement!
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Sitting on the couch is always going to be safer. i'd argue that runner suffer from more chronic injury problems than any Crossfitter. My anecdotal personal experience with friends certainly reflects that.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Sitting on the couch is always going to be safer. i'd argue that runner suffer from more chronic injury problems than any Crossfitter. My anecdotal personal experience with friends certainly reflects that.

My own anecdotal experience would put it as equal. Not that that means anything.

Oddly enough, the only person I have every personally known of (or even heard of) was a friend who just finished an Ironman. It was a very mild case and he did not have to seek treatment (he is an ER doctor and his wife is a doctor as well).

Rhabdo can happen in a lot of sports, even running. It isn't uncommon in triathletes and is also seen in military recruits. It is funny to me how people are so damn worried about it CrossFit though.
  • FWMagicMike
    FWMagicMike Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I tell people that happen to all of the sudden be "experts" on their opinions is that since ANYONE can walk into a gym and pick up weights, does NOT mean that they are working out right. People jump into ALL KINDS of sports with no know-how. So I tell them that of course the numbers are HIGH, it is a fad and it is weaning out all kinds of people due to the articles on the ones that get hurt.

Anyone can spit out cons on ANYTHING. Plus, I know me, I know I am not one that falls under peer-pressure. If I cannot lift the weight with proper form, I keep it in mind.

Here is another tidbit... RUNNING gets a bad rap because of the tens of thousands knee injuries. Think about this... Has ANYONE ever been taught to run? no... we run how we think we should run. If people KNEW how to run PROPERLY, there would be less injuries.... just as this holds true in crossfit.

:)
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options

My own anecdotal experience would put it as equal. Not that that means anything.

Oddly enough, the only person I have every personally known of (or even heard of) was a friend who just finished an Ironman. It was a very mild case and he did not have to seek treatment (he is an ER doctor and his wife is a doctor as well).

Rhabdo can happen in a lot of sports, even running. It isn't uncommon in triathletes and is also seen in military recruits. It is funny to me how people are so damn worried about it CrossFit though.

The only guy I know who has had it is one of our CF coaches....who got it during training when he was at the Naval Acadamy.
  • smarionette
    smarionette Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Rhabdo is more common in distance running than people like to admit, mostly because you have people who seem to think 12-16 weeks is enough to go from "never run before" to "marathoner". Just because the motion is basic doesn't mean that it is easy. Any workout, taken to the extreme of endurance or performance, can lead to rhabdo if the person performing it is not sufficiently fit. I see more poorly prepared runners at my long distance races than anywhere else. At least with crossfit you (should) have a good coach who will watch you first and push you second.
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Oh, I found this from ascrit in a past thread and posted it.

http://www.stack.com/2013/12/11/crossfit/

Here are some others which you might want to pass along in case you have not already:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/eva-m-selhub-md/health-and-fitness_b_5412949.html
    http://ifailedfran.com/i-dont-care-if-you-dont-crossfit

To be honest though, my advice is to just stay off Facebook all together. I am so glad I don't have a profile. :flowerforyou: