What is your Bike Computer and software?

Options
KaktusJaque
KaktusJaque Posts: 141 Member
I use a Garmin Edge 305. So far its been the best computer I have owned to date. It can have two bikes stored so I have my Road and my MTB in there. I had to purchase an extra mount. This computer keeps track of heart rate, cadence, and it will GPS your ride keeping track of speeds and elevations on your ride for later review. It also has all the normal cycle functions. This garmin comes with the Training Center software for the PC so you can view and store all your rides.

I also use and love the older CyclStats software. I still beleive this is the best program out there even though it is quite old and not updated. I have had a bit of dialog with the guy who made this software, he is a avid bike rider, and programmer. He had no intention to update this program sadly. I tried to talk him into it. I even made him an offer to buy the program code so I could get it updated to modern times. He was somewhat interested in my offer, but chose to decline. Maybe I will try again some day.

I tried mapmyride, it was ok, but I didnt really care for it overall.

What do you use?

Replies

• jerrodh
    jerrodh Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    As I just started into this a number of months ago, and have built up my kit one small part at a time, I still have a bit of a hodgepodge setup:

- Basic 12-function Sigma computer for heads-up distance and speed.
    - Strava app on my phone for logging, connected via BT to...
    --- Polar H7 for heart rate
    --- Wahoo cadence/speed sensor for cadence

Not bad overall, and I'm fairly happy, but it's a little awkward and I hate not having a heads-up display for my heart rate & cadence. I don't want to mount my phone to my handlebars.

To upgrade from here, I basically have two choices I've been thinking about:
    - Stick with the Strava app & BT-based system, but replace my Sigma with a Wahoo RFLKT.
    - Sell my Polar H7 and Wahoo, and switch over to a Garmin 510 bundle w/ its own ANT+ HR & cadence units.

I'm not sure which I would prefer to do. But I'd like a cleaner setup, for sure.
  • cowbellsandcoffee
    cowbellsandcoffee Posts: 2,975 Member
    Options
    Garmin Edge 500.

Use Garmin Connect and Strava to keep tabs on things.

I like how quickly the 500 picked up the ANT+ sensor on my Madone. Literally the entire set up process took 30 seconds and then I was ready to ride. It does help though when your cadence sensor is built into your chain stay. :laugh:

No problems here.
  • kerrylikesbikes
    kerrylikesbikes Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Garmin Edge 810. I used to use the 500 and was happy with it, but my husband and I do a lot of bike travels/vacation and decided one of us should have maps. So I got the 810 since I am the gadget person in our house, he has the 500. I was super frustrated with the 810 when it first came out (about a year ago) but the kinks seems to be worked out now and I like it. My husband likes the 500.
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    iPhone 4s
    Wahoo ANT+ Phone Holder, Extended Battery & ANT+ Key
    Wahoo HRM, Cadence & speed meter...

I use the Cyclemeter App on my phone, which automatically shares ride data with Strava...

This is good for 5+ hours with the battery extender...

I'd love a 510/810 though :wink:

Much neater on the bars that this big numb thing :wink: :laugh:
  • KaktusJaque
    Options
    Anyone remember the bike computer called "Push"?
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,683 Member
    Options
    Hardware
    Edge 800, GSC10 Cadence/Speed Sensor (x4), Garmin Mk3 HR belt (or Cycleops Powercal HR Belt for the bikes without a powermeter), Stages Ultegra 6800 Powermeter crank. Garmin Outfront Mounts for the Dolan and CaadX, standard Garmin "rubber band" mounts for the Inbred and Planet-X

Software
    Strava, Garmin Connect, TrainingPeaks online logging/analysis software
    GoldenCheetah, Cycleops PowerAgent, Sportstracks 3.1 on-PC logging/analysis software
    Tacx TTS V3.13 Trainer Control/Logging/Analysis/VR Cycling Software

Oh, and the old retro-bike has probably one of the last functioning Avocet 30's

<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_big_yin/10328930995/player/&quot; width="500" height="500" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I use a garmin 910xt to capture ride information and load it into Sports Tracks to crunch numbers. I also load it into Stravs just for fun.
  • Archon2
    Archon2 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Ancient Trek cycle computer (circa 1995) on my road bike. Wired. Has the basic functions. Been on there for countless rides, and on my prior bike too. Rain or shine, it works. Tough little sucker. I like that.

Just bought a cheapo Velo 9 for the mountain bike. Wired, and pretty much has the basic functions of the Trek, but includes some kcal burn numbers (inaccurate, I'm sure) and some carbon offset thing that I really can't appreciate. Al Gore probably invested in the company and insisted on them adding that or some such. Didn't care for the lousy way it mounted on the bars with zip-ties, but the screen is nicer than the Trek's screen at least. Will see if it shorts out the first time it rains.

I do run MapMyRide on my Android phone, which take along for the ride. That gives me some info on speed, splits, stats, climbs and stuff that I do like to look over. So it covers some gaps with the cheap units. Syncs to MFP now too, which is great!

I'd like to buy a wireless, all-in-one unit with GPS, HRM, power output, and bluetooth for $99.99 or less.
  • slocyclist
    slocyclist Posts: 95
    Options
    Like Archon2, I'm running an old wired computer. In my case it is a Cateye from 1992 on my Bridgestone RB-T.

On the other bikes (as well as redundantly on the RB-T) I'm using my iPhone and Digifit software. This works with my Polar H7 BT heart rate monitor, and syncs with MFP.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    I'd like to buy a wireless, all-in-one unit with GPS, HRM, power output, and bluetooth for $99.99 or less.

if you could go ANT+ instead of bluetooth for the external connectivity, you'd be close with the Cateye CC-GL50 Stealth GPS unit...

http://www.cateye.com/intl/products/detail/CC-GL50/

Retails at around £80, which isn't too bad...
  • veloman21
    veloman21 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin 310XT which I use for both running and biking. I have an Edge 500 on the way. I use the Garmin Connect site to view my rides afterwards. I just got a Vivofit as well and would love if all those devices would communicate data to MFP!!!
  • Technolero
    Technolero Posts: 90
    Options
    I have a Garmin Edge 800 and love it! I ordered an Edge 1000 via Amazon and just received an email saying that it isn't supposed to be released until the end of June. :mad: :mad:

I use Garmin Connect, MapMyRide, Strava, MFP, Fitbit, Withings, iHealth, and use SyncMetrics to tie them together. Works most of the time!
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    I have a Garmin 310XT which I use for both running and biking. I have an Edge 500 on the way. I use the Garmin Connect site to view my rides afterwards. I just got a Vivofit as well and would love if all those devices would communicate data to MFP!!!

don't hold your breath for Garmin to implement it - they're trying incredibly hard to try and tie people into their crappy Garmin Connect website, and frankly don't have a good record of "playing nice" with any external partners.
  • Archon2
    Options
    TheBigYin: thanks for the suggestion. Just looked at it briefly and it looks like it might fit both the functions and the price point I'm hoping to get.
  • KaktusJaque
    Options
    Dang, my edge 305 feels so small now compared to yall lol ! Its good for me for now anyway. If and when it goes out, I will look to upgrade it.
  • KitTheRoadie
    KitTheRoadie Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Dang, my edge 305 feels so small now compared to yall lol ! Its good for me for now anyway. If and when it goes out, I will look to upgrade it.

Don't worry I use an Edge 305 too! :wink: I love it; does exactly what I want from a GPS unit and it was a good price when I purchased it too! I love all this new fangled tech but until mine gives up, I'm sticking with it! :wink:
  • Archon2
    Options
    Just an update bump. Per TheBinYin's suggestion, I looked hard at the CatEye Stealth 50 setup with HRM and cadence. Almost pulled the trigger on that at it was so affordable, but...I finished a 3 month workout and health program at work that left me the following choices for promoting more exercise:

$150 & a Fitbit unit

or

$300 to be spent on any health/exercise equipment or gym membership fee.

So the Garmin 500 bundle was about $300 and I went that route. Hey, I'm going finally get a semi-modern seup for riding. Although I do not have the heart to get rid of my 1995 Trek cyclo-computer, so I think I'll leave that on there too for the time being :)
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    That's a great thing for your work to promote, and a good choice of kit ! Enjoy :-)
  • matsprt1984
    matsprt1984 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Just an update bump. Per TheBinYin's suggestion, I looked hard at the CatEye Stealth 50 setup with HRM and cadence. Almost pulled the trigger on that at it was so affordable, but...I finished a 3 month workout and health program at work that left me the following choices for promoting more exercise:

$150 & a Fitbit unit

or

$300 to be spent on any health/exercise equipment or gym membership fee.

So the Garmin 500 bundle was about $300 and I went that route. Hey, I'm going finally get a semi-modern seup for riding. Although I do not have the heart to get rid of my 1995 Trek cyclo-computer, so I think I'll leave that on there too for the time being :)

You won't be disappointed with that setup....rock solid platform.
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Bontrager Node 2.1 head unit & HR strap, Garmin speed/cadence accelerometers, IpBike & HTC One M7 for continuous recording, and Golden Cheetah for analysis. Using VP for now.