Should I be seeing or feeling something?

Options
eimaj5575
eimaj5575 Posts: 278 Member
I have been lifting now for just over a month. I have done mostly SL5x5 but also added some other weight lifting moves as well. I have kept my running to about 2 miles a run about 3 times a week. My calories I have kept at a deficit but not by much. I know I need to eat at a surplus to gain muscle. I wanted to know if I should be seeing or feeling anything? I have noticed I went from 45 squats to 65 squats, and 45 OHP to 55 OHP. But other than weights going up I feel and see nothing but I feel flabbier, I feel less fit, and just like I am wasting time. Why is this?

Replies

• tinkystyle
    tinkystyle Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    IUnfortunately one month of strength training is not long enough to see/feel results. If you are following SL 5x5, and working out 3 times/week, then that means you have done somewhere between 12-15 workouts, right? If you are new to or coming back to strength training after a hiatus, it takes longer than 12-15 workouts to see/feel results. You are not only strengthening your muscles, but also all of the connective tissues and helping to preserve your bone density. And, weightlifting does some profound things for mental state and confidence.

You have had results--you've increased your weights and honored your commitment to the program and your health. That is invaluable. Feeling flabby may be due to retaining water.

It is your choice, but I really hope you stick with lifting :)
  • eimaj5575
    eimaj5575 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input. I will continue to lift and I know change doesnt happen quickly. i just found it strange that I feel flabby and unfit since starting to lift. I dont like the feeling but will continue to lift.
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    1) it is a long process which is really annoying, and of you are at a small deficit then scale progress can be really easily masked by water weight.
    2) your increase in ohp makes me jelly, seriously I have been lifting for 4 months now and I just got passed 50 lbs. Seriously good job, don't sell yourself short on that.