Kinvara vs Virrata

Options
ATT949
ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
I've been running in Newton's for a few years but snagged a pair of Kinvarra's last Fall. I run in the KV's from time to time and have really come to like the cushioning on the KV (vs the Newton Gravity).

The zero drop of the Virrata is interesting and I'm tempted to give them a try.

Can anyone give me some feedback on in these two shoes feel when running?

Replies

• Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Before I switched to Altras and Inov-8s, I ran in Kinvaras. I PRed a 10 miler in them and ihad no issues except that my big toe ripped through the top but the shoe still lasted well over 500 miles. They felt light and fast.
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I run 90 percent of my workouts in Virrata's (I have 4 pair and will be adding a couple more.)

Pros - light, slight over-pronation support, cushioned (but not overly so), sockless is no problem

Cons - soles are soft and prone to wearing out fast

I haven't run in kinvara's, so I am no help there.
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    It occurs to me that I BQed in Kinvaras, too! I read on a blog that they were excellent marathon shoes due to light weight and, at the time, I had been having some shin/knee discomfort in the shoes I had been training in. THe Kinvara 3s were on sale because of the new model and I used those in the race and they were fantastic.

In fact, I am thinking once I destroy these Inov-8s...I might buy a new pair!
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I love love love Kinvaras. I've ran a few half-marathons in them, and I've got a few pairs of K2s, a K3, a K4, and a new pair of K5s that I love (just ran 10 miles in them and they felt great!).

I've flirted with the Virratas, but I've never really gotten used to zero-drop shoes. I think the 4mm drop of the Kinvaras are perfect -- minimal but not flat. However if you're looking for something for speedwork/racing, Virratas would be a good choice, or the Saucony A-5 (their racing flat, it has either a 0 or 4 mm drop, I can't remember).
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I've run a lot in Kinvara and have a pair of Virrata I use for short runs. When you initially put them on the fits feel very similar but after you start running you will notice Virrata has less cushioning underneath. If I go more than about a 10K in the Virrata I get a weird little pain in the inside of my knee so don't plan on any long runs in them. I am anticipating replacing them after 300 miles but I only put 6-10 miles on them a week so it will be a while. This information is all applicable to the Virrata which is currently on clearance at most retailers.

I tested the Virrata 2 a couple of months ago. The 2 is noticiably lighter than the 1 which I found surprising because the 1 isn't all that heavy. I *think* I heard that Saucony has introduced a new lighter foam for this year's shoes but I can not confirm for sure. There is less padding on the 2, after 4 miles I was wishing I had a little more underfoot. Once again I would not try to go further than a 10K on them.
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I recently ran a 20 mile race with a much faster) friend, who was wearing Vibrams. Different strokes and all... I have run a marathon in Virrata's. as well as many training runs over 6 miles, with no ill effects.
  • NorthCountryDreamer
    NorthCountryDreamer Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I prefer the virrata because they have a bit more cushion.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the feedback.

Looks like the Virrata is well liked but the amount of cushioning is open to interpretation. I suspect that the Virrata will have more cushioning than the Newtons but perhaps there's a trade off of cushioning with the KV 2.

I've been buying my sneaks from a nearby Road Runner Sports which has a 90 day return policy. My thinking is to give the Virrata a try and return them if need be.