June Book

Options
mabug01
mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
007 Carte Blanche, a James Bond novel by Jeffery Deaver

James Bond, in his early thirties and already a veteran of the Afghan War, has been recruited to a new organization. Conceived in the post-9/11 world, it operates independent of MI5, MI6, and the Ministry of Defense, its very existence deniable. Its aim: to protect the Realm, by any means necessary.

And Agent 007 has been given carte blanche to do whatever it takes to fulfill his mission.

Replies

• steppingstones
    steppingstones Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Happy June Diamond Gals,

I picked up the James Bond book and with workman here all day and over 100 degree weather predicted this weekend, I may have time to begin the book. :wink: This genre of book is not usually my cup of tea but I am always happy to give a new type of book a go. And since the we have been on a MI-5 marathon for the past month this might be a good follow up.

May update: I finished Back Roads and found it hard to forget. The writing was really good and I would read her books again, if the subject was less sad. I decided to read The Namesake since I needed a change of pace. The book was so well written and gave me some insight into another culture. If you have opportunity to read Jhumpa Lahiri , I would recommend it.

Martinis anyone ....Happy reading!
  • mabug01
    Options
    Thanks for the tip about The Namesake, I was thinking of trying out that book too at some point. I haven't received my 007 book yet, so I've been reading the 4th book by Julia Spencer-Fleming with the Clare and Russ characters and have been enjoying that. About 25 years ago I read a few of Ian Fleming's 007 books; as I recall they were short, quick reads - perfect for summer. About Back Roads, yes, I enjoyed the writing; I wish it had a more just ending and I do believe the mom just completely gave up on being a mother, which was despicable to me. The surprise to me was that the fellow was the victim of sexual abuse. I left the book hoping that he gets out of the hospital some day and lives a more successful life.

Those day time heat waves can be brutal this time of year, but I remember the evening gets very cool, offering a respite. That's what I miss about California weather. In Florida it doesn't dip below the mid to high 70's at night (and humid); no cool respite there.
  • lenoresaari
    lenoresaari Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I thought the boy was in jail at the end; I am wondering where I missed he was in a hospital. What kind of hospital?

I got the book 007 and will start it this week; I am off for a week yay!
    Youre down in the Tampa area ? Glad to be a little farther north in jax. The heat is not
    so unrelenting. .....
  • steppingstones
    Options
    And Mother and son were both incarcerated for crimes they did not commit!?! Yes, the Mother's withdrawal was unforgiveable but the way people behave when victims of abusive situations is complicated. I still can't understand an 18 year old being given custody of all the family. I also hope for a better end for the young man. I think the therapist might stick with him. The Namesake was made into a movie which I rented and enjoyed but not as much as the book as they always rewrite the story. I have only read two chapters of 007 as the heat has been awful the past few days. But the break is here and besides getting some chores and errands done I hope to go back to the book. But there is no humidity. ( I grew up on the East Coast so I know it well )

M- hope you are continuing to adjust to your new home.
    L- enjoy your week off.

Happy reading.
    M
  • mabug01
    Options
    Oh, I thought he was in a mental hospital, oops! The mom deserved to be in jail because she didn't do the right thing by her middle daughter; if mom had done the right thing by turning her in, she would probably serve time until she was 21 but then get out; and, mom could have kept the family together and potentially correct the situation between son and eldest daughter. But, she didn't even try!

I'm down in Broward near the intracoastal. I was hoping to spend more time outside on my balcony, or with my windows open, but the noseeums are just miserable. So I'm not really having the experience I was hoping for. I have 9-1/2 more months on this lease. Maybe I'll try somewhere else after that. Or, if I can do something about the bugs, I might stay.

I'm still working on the Julia Spencer-Fleming novel, but I did receive the 007 book and will start that soon.

L - Have a restful vacation!
    M - Did you get the work finished on your house?
  • steppingstones
    Options
    That 4th Spencer - Fleming was the one that took place in 24 hours?. I really liked it and look forward to #5.

In or out of jail that Mom would have needed 10 years of therapy to get any parenting skills.

Work finished :) a new heating and AC system is in place.

Happy Reading. Have not made a big enough dent in 007 to have any opinions.

M. Hope the bugs leave you alone. Need to plan lots of daytime activities.
    L. Maybe you have some advice on managing the Florida environment
  • lenoresaari
    Options
    Pest control comes to my yard year round
    They spray so much I had to hand pollinate my cucumbers because the non existent bees werent doing it. I use ant hill powder regularly. i also have been battling moles lately.

They also do the inside when the situation presents itself. I have to use flea stuff on my cats almost year round. Yes its an ongoing struggle to keep us all bug free.

The hardest part for me is the ongoing growth of weeds. It is nearly impossible to keep up. I love it here though despite the unwanted
    critters and bugs. I have some really good vegs growing in the garden.Starti ng my late summer/early fall planting; corn pumpkins sunflowers lettuce

I havent started the book. But I will get around to it. I usually finish them out in a day or two once I get started.
  • steppingstones
    Options
    Happy June. Have been so busy, I have not made a real dent into the book. How is everyone doing?

:smile:
  • mabug01
    Options
    I was hoping to have read more of the book by now, too. I'm on page 61. The "bad guy" seems a bit freaky, but that's all I can say so far. I've been catching up on some TV shows instead of reading.
  • mabug01
    Options
    I'm further along now and the plot is getting interesting. I think it may be my turn to pick for July, so I'm looking around. Happy reading, Diamondettes!
  • mabug01
    Options
    I'm about 1/2 way through the book, so I'm not ready to start anything new just yet. How's everyone else doing?
  • steppingstones
    Options
    About the same -slogging along. Glad there is help at the back of the book to help define the many agencies/ I must admit other things are catching my interest. Cookbooks and getting caught up on TV series rented from the library.

Look forward to your choice...whenever. It is summer and the livin' is easy. :wink:

It is 103 at the moment. But it is predicted to drop tomorrow
  • lenoresaari
    Options
    Hey Diamondettes! Just checkin in; no didnt get the book read; I got distracted by overworking and another book and life in general. I dont think I am going to read it. So any ideas for July?
  • steppingstones
    Options
    Same here busy and the book just didn't keep me engaged. Read the other suggested book The Namesake and it was terrific.

Mary, it is your turn....maybe something easy going like a day at the beach. :) Hope you have some ideas.

Great day Diamond Gals.
  • mabug01
    Options
    Hi all,

I did finish the book; I think the author tried to stay true to Asimov. I always thought the movies were much better than the books; the actors put some life into the words.

I do have 2 ideas for July:

1) The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin; or alternately,

2) The One and Only by Emily Giffin

Either one should be a quick read so I think we can finish before August. Let me know!

Best of the summer to both of you!

Mary
  • steppingstones
    Options
    Hi there Mary,

Nice to hear from you. Hope you are adjusting and enjoying life on the intercostal :smile: .

I think both your choices are great but they are very new books and the wait at the library is long.

The One and Only ...I would be #78. And I have been on wait list for The Storied Life of A.J. Fiking for a couple of months and I am only # 45.

Maybe we could make them our choices in a couple of months. I noticed the authors had written lots of other books perhaps one them appeals to you..

Happy Summer Diamondettes.
    Mady
  • mabug01
    Options
    Sorry about that! I didn't pay attention to book dates. How about these?

1) What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty, or

2) Orphan Train: A Novel by Christina Baker Kline

Having a nice summer here; hope the hot spell broke for you in California. 105 degrees; whew!
  • steppingstones
    Options
    The 105 was only one day. And the Wimbledon finals were on so I did not notice. Today is 83. Still rather have heat than humidity. ::bigsmile: The summer has been mostly nice but heat due next week, so I may soon be whining.

My vote is for the Moriarty book. I have read Orphan Train.

Have a good day. M
  • mabug01
    Options
    I thought that title sounded familiar for some reason. Was that the one you talked about when we read the Language of Flowers? As I remember, you liked the book.
  • steppingstones
    Options
    yes, liked book and learned something about event knew nothing about....always good :)