Dealing with Challenging Food Environments

Options
1013carl
1013carl Posts: 376 Member
Please post your Experiences, Questions or "Just Vent" if it helps!

Enjoy!

Carl -

Replies

• hirstrl
    hirstrl Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    OK!! I can post on this topic ALL day LOL.

Between an office environment which has food catered in quite frequently, lovely pastries weekly, and the need to celebrate EVERYONES birthdays with treats
    and
    Kids and a husband who like/need to eat daily ;) and dont really enjoy fresh veggies and tuna for dinner everynight

Last week i could have "vented" a book on this BUT

this is a new week and a new month!! Today has been good so far :happy:
  • aseymour13
    aseymour13 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Ditto hirstri! I work in an office where we have a kitchen that ALWAYS has snacks in it. I actually do a bit better when it's sweets because that's not my problem. It's when they bring in the lunches or other snacks for meetings. Everyone here wants to go out for lunch and they never want to go somewhere to get a salad or healthy - but I'm working on that as there are some really good places around here ( I work in downtown LA). Home is potentially an issue. Hubby is home during the day and always bringing cheese and crackers and the stuff that is my downfall. he is not a night time snack person because he gets it done during the day but guess what??? I am!!! Drives me nuts! So I'm always putting his stash in places I dont normally go to....lol! For me it's focus and I'm liking the start to this month! Thanks All!!!
  • tpeirona
    tpeirona Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Part of my job description includes baking fresh chocolate chip cookies whenever we have clients come in which is usually 2-3 times a week. They never finish the full batch and so we always have leftovers. It's so hard to resist sometimes, especially when I'm having a hard day!
  • 1013carl
    Options
    OK!! I can post on this topic ALL day LOL.

Between an office environment which has food catered in quite frequently, lovely pastries weekly, and the need to celebrate EVERYONES birthdays with treats
    and
    Kids and a husband who like/need to eat daily ;) and dont really enjoy fresh veggies and tuna for dinner everynight

Last week i could have "vented" a book on this BUT

this is a new week and a new month!! Today has been good so far :happy:
    My experience is the same thing.. the frequency varies at times.. we might not see anything for 2 weeks and then 3 days in a row food and leftovers are everywhere....

I'm going to try drinking a 16oz bottle of water straight down the next time I hear there is food... Then IF I do eat a bit, I may be inclined you back off sooner from feeling full!

Carl -
  • amandainmd
    amandainmd Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    My challenge this week has been DH out of town with BOTH my mother and MIL in town to visit and see kids recital. So there are treats for the kids, dinner out, etc. So far I have managed OK - I insisted on cooking tonight and bought fish and I only had about 1/3 glass of wine (though I wanted to bottle...) LOL.
  • antrobin
    antrobin Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    The staff lounge is often loaded with food so I don't go in there. I have my lunch at the onsite cafeteria and l since I have been logging my food it has helped avoid the pizza and stick to the soup or protein plate. It does help that I have a regular lunch partner and we often share.

At home I cook for hubby and eat small portions, by cooking I can control what is in the food.
  • Fit4Cruising
    Fit4Cruising Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Management brought in pizzas as a surprise today! AAARghhh. I didn't even think about hanging around the pizza boxes in the break room- my willpower is OK, as long as temptations are not staring me in the face, (then it's pretty much game over). I ate my simple, pre-prepared sack lunch in a totally different room. Good luck to everyone!
  • Starlet72
    Starlet72 Posts: 29
    Options
    Work is an issue for me too! We have a lunch room where the company serves a free hot lunch everyday. I always bring my lunch but if I sit in the lunchroom and see all that food, I'll finish my lunch and steal some of the what they serve. Like eating a meal and a half...shame! Sometimes there's no will power what-so-ever. I've often eatin in my office to avoid temptation.
  • amandainmd
    amandainmd Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I put this in my general feed, but - how about travel? I am leaving town tomorrow for a week long trip that encompasses a wedding and some majorly fun foodie destinations. The trip should be fairly active, so that helps and I never want to skip family or other events because of a fear of weight gain. That means I need to be disciplined when away from home, eating out and attending functions. It's going to be hard!
  • 1013carl
    Options
    Well,... couple Ideas/suggestions...

Every hear of the Buddy System. Campers use it all the time for safety, etc....
    Call around today to your family and friends that will also be attending... And try to find a dieting buddy... or two! :wink:
    There is safety in numbers so a small group could work too!.... All of you can be accountable to each other while visiting.
    Maybe a few small group walks can be squeezed in? Maybe eating only Half portions is doable? If you're at a hotel you could have gym equip available...or a swimming pool....

When I hear someone telling that they've fallen off of the wagon... I notice that they say, I didn't eat good or exercise either...
    So, really try not to mess them both up at once....If you eat poorly, then get some exercise in.... If you don't exercise for the day, then watch what you eat.... Really avoid neglecting them both at the same time...

If you've recently dropped some weight... share it with your family and friends, then when you are trying to eat less, or better, or go for a walk, they may be a bit more understanding or supportive...

Don't mess around once you get back... plan on buckling down right away. Plan a couple good workouts and get your "Good Food" items stocked up an in place now!

Above all, Enjoy yourself while visiting.... Feeling and looking better (while with friends and family) is exactly WHY many of us are doing this hard work anyways.

Take care amandainmd and have a safe and happy trip!
    Carl -

(print this and read it everyday if it helps)
  • aseymour13
    aseymour13 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    So I'm just going to say that when i work long hours like I did yesterday and get home tired - I need to make sure I have more in my refrigerator than left over pizza or pasta. I actually wasnt too bad last night but man, I'm so not used to eating anything "heavy" that late at night. Had pasta with some veggies but I had to give it some time to digest. I did however sleep like a rock! almost missed my train this morning! lol
  • hirstrl
    Options
    vent time!!

I am having a very difficult time here at work today
    i did not go out and tell everyone i work with that im am watching what i eat and counting calories. They have noticed because i no longer join in on the weekly luncheons and turn down treats and ppl have also notice i dropped a few lbs.

well how is it that i offend someone else when i choose not to indulge in food that is not good for me and also will blow my daily calorie goal in one sitting?

today my office girls approached me to get my order for chinese food on friday. I kindly told them no thank you. They know by now that i am "dieting" and have even been dubbed me "mrs. healthy". So in their attempt to get me to cave, they mention how i have to splurge every so often and just get white rice cuz thats healthy. after saying no repeatedly and informing them that i have splurged the last 2 weekends and really just need to keep on track this week, especially since my daughters grad party is next weekend.

One girl in particular who was happy she lost 5 lbs and is down to 125 lbs after she had her baby got upset after i told her she couldnt possibly understand. but i was very frustrated. then she said "oh ya, well i saw u eat cake!"

She said " i even asked you what i should bring for my birthday, bagels or donuts" i explained that i would pass on both of those because i bring my own food to work. she then went and vented to 2 other girls in our office about how difficult i was being. who then approached me to say: ur not ordering food on friday? ur on a diet? well good for you. you have good will power.

i just wanna say REALLY>>>WTF!!!
  • hirstrl
    Options
    So I'm just going to say that when i work long hours like I did yesterday and get home tired - I need to make sure I have more in my refrigerator than left over pizza or pasta. I actually wasnt too bad last night but man, I'm so not used to eating anything "heavy" that late at night. Had pasta with some veggies but I had to give it some time to digest. I did however sleep like a rock! almost missed my train this morning! lol

i def understand this!! i try to stay away from the pasta but is so convient and we always have leftovers in the fridge! LOL
  • bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Options
    Histri.. I have had comments like this from co-workers and family. It is very frustrating when someone says to me " you can't starve yourself" or "everyone needs a treat", "one piece/bite wont hurt ". Well I just come back wit" if I continue to eat what I've always ate I will continue to weight what I've always weighed ."
    Sometimes it causes hard feelings. I have had 'weight loss buddies' who arent committed and I have even stopped having lunch or exercising with them ( they wanted to always get ice cream as a treat when we walked) . I tell them I am deeply committed to changing and my goal is to get there as fast as I can in a healthy way and that I am changing my eating habits for life. Just stand firm and think of how good you will look in the end
  • hirstrl
    Options
    Thank you bizgirl26! I love that quote also!! "if I continue to eat what I've always ate I will continue to weight what I've always weighed"

I let it bother me more than i should have. Ultimately its my business what i choose to eat and not eat. I will politely remind people of that if they choose comment on my food choices :smile:
  • Smirnoff65
    Smirnoff65 Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I was out tonight with my wife celebrating our wedding anniversary and honestly never gave it a thought about what I was eating, I know I have been working hard all week towards my goal and will continue to do so for the remainder of the week and beyond, I have probably went over my diary for today but I'm not going to beat my self up about it, sometimes it is just as important to enjoy yourself, tomorrow is another day.