blood pressure pills

Options
I'm now off all blood pressure medication, including the HCTZ which means I'm retaining more water and as a result have gained a couple pounds. No good deed goes unpunished, eh?

Replies

• relentless2121
    relentless2121 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your progress to be taken off blood pressure pills. That is one of my goals after surgery. That is very inspiring for people like myself who are still on blood pressure medication. Take good care of yourself and have a great day. :flowerforyou:
  • DeniseNCC1701
    DeniseNCC1701 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    That's terrific! Congratulations!

I was able to lower my Atenolol, but I still need to take Ramapril. I hope to be off these medications by the end of year.
  • GraceByMySide
    GraceByMySide Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Congratulations and WHO CARES?????? It's freakin' WATER, not fat!!!!! It will go away once your body modifies, again! Then you'll drop like a rock and be happy!!!! Be happy, anyway!! :happy:

I just cut my HCTZ down to 12.5. That's what they were giving me in the hospital and I'm sticking with it. Losing just 20 lbs has made that much difference!!!! Yay!!!

Enjoy your beautiful, lower-blood pressure day!!!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

~Emma
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Great victory! Getting off medications alone will add years to your life.
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Same thing happened to me when I went off HCTZ. It took me a second of horror that week to remember why I gained, (hand't gained an ounce since my procedure at that point). Your numbers should get back on track in a week or two. Plus, the more gunk you get out of your system, the better you'll feel overall! Less medicine is great news!
  • sue100194
    sue100194 Posts: 129
    Options
    Thanks all! Emma, you made me laugh out loud. Bikrchk is right. It was a second (moment or two) of horror. I had a couple bites of cake on Friday which a friend bought to celebrate my graduation but almost 4 pounds gained? I was horrified and scared straight. LOL. I've lost a pound and half of that water weight this morning, and look forward to losing more of it.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    That is awesome! The day my doctor took me off my blood pressure meds, I was so happy I cried!
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! That is a great accomplishment. I am looking forward to my post-surgery weight loss with hopes that I can get off of my BP meds.
  • priceless97
    priceless97 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! My surgeon took me off the htz while I was in the hospital and put me on the regular lisinoprel which I swallow whole. I'll be glad when I can give up a prescription! lol I'm only two weeks out from surgery and down 20 lbs. I have my first post op monthly appointment on the 19th.

Be happy...water goes away! :-)
  • Liongoddess
    Liongoddess Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! The water gain will stabilize and will soon flush out. The same thing happened to me when I was able to stop my BP meds. It was a happy day for me and a major goal accomplished.
  • plmelquist
    plmelquist Posts: 42
    Options
    Woo hoo - I also have stopped my blood pressure meds. At about 3 weeks I was feeling dizzy one morning and checked my blood pressure at a pharmacy. It was 90/60 and it occurred to me that when I weighed 260 I was on the same dose and was down to about 215. I weaned myself off and kept checking. I was taking Hydrochlorothiazide and LIsinopril. At my 4 week check up my doctor was totally cool with it and my blood pressure is normal to low without it. :D
  • authorwriter
    authorwriter Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I went off mine about a week after I got home. It was always low until the last year when it suddenly started going up, because of the weight. So a week after I got home, I got really dizzy and was dragging around. My husband's a doc and took my pressure. It was 71/40 or something like that. So he took me off the meds and has been monitoring me carefully every since. It's remained in the 100/60 or lower range. I'll let my PCP know when I see him in a few weeks. For me, losing those meds is one more shackle no longer tying me to my old life. I'll bet that's just how you feel, too. All my best.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Same thing happend to me when they took me off the BP meds, except I gained 8 pounds in water weight! I am hypersensitive to retaining water it seems. But it all came back off, so no lasting issues. :smile: Congrats on losing the BP meds! That's a great accomplishment!