June 2014 Thread

Options
Stoshew71
Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
Here is a discussion thread for those who will be doing the May Running Challenge located:
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1301079-june-running-challange

Feel free to post whatever you like. However, your goals should be declared in the actual thread link listed above as well as your daily run logs. Check back in this thread to give support to others that are running this challange with you. Or ask a question or help here.

Excited about hitting your goal and wish to have others celebrate with you? Post your accomplishment here.
Having troubles hitting your goal or suffered an injury? Post it here for more support.

Replies

• Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Allergy/Asthma sufferers... how do you keep your breathing in check? This year my allergies are out of control! I was put on an inhaler, and while things are finally getting closer to normal for just everyday living, I'm really struggling with my runs. Its like I can never get a deep enough breath and just start hacking (I assume because I can't catch my breath enough).

Do I need to retrain my lungs? Or should I be taking it easier? What's your experience?
  • ryblueeyes
    ryblueeyes Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I don't have asthma but try to time my breathing with my steps. It's really helped me!

Inhale (step 1, step 2, step 3)
    Exhale (step 1, step 2, step 3)

Sometimes I catch myself actually counting the steps out loud.
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    Thanks ryblueeyes for your response.

Also to Runs4Wine, you may try and address your question to the Long Distance Forum since they have a larger audience and I am pretty sure a few may have asthma issues that may give some further advise.

That group can be found at:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/94-long-distance-runners
  • kpallo
    kpallo Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to figure this out....so far....not so good... :-( Will keep trying.
  • irakrishna1
    irakrishna1 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I want to participate in July Challenge. Please let me in.
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    Keep a lookout for the link when I post it in a couple of days. Maybe tommorow afternoon.
  • kathym617
    kathym617 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Allergy/Asthma sufferers... how do you keep your breathing in check?
    Do I need to retrain my lungs? Or should I be taking it easier? What's your experience?

This post is a bit old now but hopefully the response is still helpful. I don't have allergies but do have exercise-induced asthma. After a bunch of asthma attacks during successive runs, I found that I needed to use my inhaler about 10 minutes or so before a run in order to fend off an attack. After a month or two, my lungs had recovered from the constant attack they had previously been under and I was able to run without the inhaler, only using it before a run if I sensed a bad day coming (usually weather based).

Kathy