Using TDEE but....

Options
SezxyStef
SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
As a lot of us do or have done we use TDEE method. I have calculated mine at 2100...(same as IIFYM) and I am working my way up.

This is based on 5 days a week of exercise...3x lifting, 2x some form of cardio, biking, walking, HIIT etc...I will be adding in swimming soon and hopefully HIIT sprints.

But I am wondering about those "extras" that we do. No not cleaninng....:laugh:

But for example we burn wood and my husband will be cutting it down this week for it to dry out for fall. After that he limbs it and we haul it out of the woods and he cuts it up, splits it and I load it on the truck, or stack it on the truck (usually at least 8 full half tonne truck) then I and our son throw it in and he piles it.

No easy work, I couldn't even guess how many calories that could burn...

As well yesterday I spent 4.5 hours outside in my flowers...normally gardening is not that hard but I was hand tilling, pulling weeds, digging (sweating my butt off) and I am sore...If I were inclinded to log it as 3 hours gardening general it was 864 calories burned...I took time off for my 15min lunch and the odd time i stopped to have a drink or lay out on the lawn cause I fell cause a weed let go...:bigsmile:

In those cases doing TDEE...do you say eh whatever and stay in goal or should we be eating back some of them.

I didn't find it affected my lifts today..I felt great afterwards...

Replies

• tinkystyle
    tinkystyle Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly new to using TDEE method, but I am inclined to think that the occasional "very physical" day wouldn't require you to modify your daily goal overall. But, if you have a very physical day say once per week, then absolutely eat/drink more that day.

I know if I was stacking all of that wood, I would require copious amounts of liquor afterwards...just sayin'...
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    My thoughts line up with tinkystyle. Personally, I have always found that I manage to line up super physical days with days that I consume more not because I am following my TDEE but just because that seems to be the way that it goes for me.
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    I do the wait and see method. If I've eaten all my calories for the day, and around 8 or 9 I am legitimately hungry (my stomach will tell me...lol) I will have a small snack. Maybe 100-250 calories. If I don't need it, I don't eat it.

I also allow myself the extra calories into the next day because sometimes it doesn't hit until then.