Seven Deadly Sins/Food Temptations

Options
For the last while, I've considered my personal weaknesses and strengths when it comes to eating. I think each of us has to have some top candidates. I was trying to think of my top 7. I haven't discovered all of them...but these are ones I'm determined to eliminate. Get thee behind me P-o-tay-to! :D

1. Ice Cream - years ago my husband told me I was an addict. I said...I'm not. I went a month straight without and realized how often I thought about it, wanted it...etc. He was right. I vowed to never buy ice cream during weekly grocery shopping, or alone again. I've kept that promise for over a decade, but wish I didn't think about it.
2. Cheese - Ironically, 6 years ago, discovered I'm lactose intolerant. Working on not craving or having it. Been good for 3 weeks. This is a hard one for me.
3. Tortillas - this goes hand in hand with cheese. Evil Quesadillas! :) I'm working on a healthier go to snack.
4. Peanut butter - I have switched to WinCo's all natural bulk food version. My kids don't like it as much, me either...guess it makes sense without all the sugar and preservatives in most mainstream.
5. Nutella - Lucky for me, 2 TBS of this stuff is 200 cal. It is wonderful, but I can't eat much of it - being so rich and all...so that's good, right?
6. Potatoes/Rice - I spent 15 years living in Idaho. If there is one staple I know...it is how to make amazing potato dishes. I've swapped regular and reds for sweet potatoes. I certainly eat less of them. Rice...I lived on in college and on my mission...I use brown rice...but still probably not a good filler food.
7. Bread - need I say more. I love all kinds and varieties. But, currently Dave's Killer Bread is a fav. I limit having any but once a week, if I'm losing weight. If I've not lost, I push it back another week.

Anyone else have similar battles? Successes in overcoming theirs?

Replies

• Jujubees813
    Jujubees813 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    This is great. My number one would have to be pasta. I love pasta, with marinara, butter, a little olive oil and garlic... All in all it's not the worst thing I could eat, if I could stop at a serving! I tried rice pasta and just don't like it. I think it's a texture thing where it's trying so hard to be something it's not. But then I found mung bean noodles and my world changed :p they're absolutely delicious, and I eat them a couple times a week now!
  • mslissalyn
    Options
    I've never tried mung bean noodles. I think it is awesome when we find things that 'change our world' as you said. :D I'm all for world change. :D
  • allyall1
    allyall1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Like the idea of a list. Interesting to consider. Here is my own list.

1. Homemade cookies - I cannot help eating about 6 at a time. If not more. I mean the soft and chewy kind made with real butter and real sugar. I also eat a fair amount of dough.
    2. Juice - I LOVE juice. I would rather drink juice all the time over water.
    3. Dark chocolate bars - I didn't realize how dependent I was on my 2pm Chocolate fix until I tried not to eat sugar. I was eating a whole bar and not eating it meant thinking about them a lot.
    4. French fries - I can not eat enough french fries. They are delicious. Always.
    5. Cereal - I love dried cereal, it's a treat. Even the "healthy" kinds I can eat and feel like its a reward.
    6. Pork chops or Steak - If I have these meats as a main dish, I have a hard time eating appropriate portion sizes. Especially when it is cooked correctly and full of flavors. It's the mouth feel and taste.
    7. Bread - Mmm...carbs...I love good crusty bread with butter. Or plain. Homemade bread is just dangerously delicious.
  • ForTheLoveOfChocolate55
    Options
    My absolute number one, which inspired my username, is chocolate. It's funny because neither of my parents really care for sweets or chocolate, so I'm pretty sure their sweet cravings were passed into me. I completely agree with you about bread. Goodness, I can't go a day without craving it!
  • dianuhmonkey
    dianuhmonkey Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Sugar....cheesecake....chocolate....oh and sugar....but also bread and butter for sure.