Spartan Sprint Tuxedo 06.07...running alone?

kwaz29
kwaz29 Posts: 190 Member
Hi all!

Doing my first Spartan Sprint this weekend in Tuxedo, NY. I signed up for it on my own, thinking that I would be able to convince some of my friends to sign up with me, but no such luck. Now that I am a week out I am starting to get nervous about doing it alone! Anyone happen to be running the race this weekend, or have done another one alone? Would love a running buddy(I'm in the 11:30 am heat) or just reassurance that I won't be stranded out there forever alone on the course!

Thanks! :)

Replies

• yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    ^ this.

One of the best reasons to do a mud run to is help other people finish it.

Unless they didnt prepare or train and the reason they cant handle it is because they expected others to carry them through it. Screw those people.

But the ones that are trying hard to succeed on their own without whining are the ones I want to run up to and throw over walls.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    You will have plenty of women and men offering to boost you over walls, I saw a lot of people just sitting at obstacles just to help people.
  • kwaz29
    thanks all...this makes me feel better! I know it won't be easy, and I have been working hard to prepare myself, but even so, I am feeling intimidated. It is good to hear that there will be people to give a hand if I need it.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,024 Member
    I had several people help me this past Saturday on the course especially with the walls. My experience there the last two years have been that people are very helpful and supportive.

Maybe at the start of your heat try to talk up some fellow Spartans
  • yoovie
    BTW the three of us talking to you totally did that exact race together on the same course last year. and these two guys did that course again Saturday - so believe us okay <3
  • kwaz29
    I believe you!

My only experience with the course has been skiing down that mountain, so I am thinking I'm crazy for signing myself up to run up it, but you all have made me feel better about it!
  • kwaz29
    thanks for the suggestion! are kneepads overkill? I was thinking about using some, but idk if that's necessary
  • yoovie
    totally not necessary.

fingerless gloves are a better investment.

you wouldnt be on your knees much at a time - there is no point really. they would just slow you down and get caught on everything.
  • gsop22
    gsop22 Posts: 84 Member
    I agree with all the posters above. You will get any help you need on the obstacles. I made it through all obstacles fine but must have been asked about 3 times if I wanted some help or a boost. Most people are friendly and will help out.

I signed up for the race in Tuxedo alone. Many of my friends wanted to go too but all backed out also. I actually don't mind running the races alone since you do not have to wait for anyone and can go at your own pace. I ran a race 2 years ago with a friend that ran out of steam the 1/3rd into the race and then it was pretty much a walk. So if you do go in a group I would say try to find some people in the same fitness level as yourself. I also would not want to slow anyone down.

Also, I see how the compression gear would help with the wire crawl. It beats you up.

Good luck

Hi all!

Doing my first Spartan Sprint this weekend in Tuxedo, NY. I signed up for it on my own, thinking that I would be able to convince some of my friends to sign up with me, but no such luck. Now that I am a week out I am starting to get nervous about doing it alone! Anyone happen to be running the race this weekend, or have done another one alone? Would love a running buddy(I'm in the 11:30 am heat) or just reassurance that I won't be stranded out there forever alone on the course!

Thanks! :)