Teaching a mtn biker path/road safety

Options
sillygoosie
sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
My guy and I love to ride together. He on his fat bike and I on my gravel bike. Since the weather has been nice, we have been doing a lot more path/road riding. Since we met, I've been trying to teach him some basic safety "rules" for riding on the road or path around other people. He has resisted and I have let things go too much. Last night, he didn't signal a right turn and I t-boned him going pretty fast. It was like wrecking a sports car into a tank. He simply stepped off his bike and I'm a beat up mess. While I give him credit for stopping earlier and asking me which route we were taking, it didn't clear up which direction we were going. He thinks signalling is unnecessary when, clearly, it is. He also rides too close to me, sometimes side by side (fine on an empty road, not so much on a path), and tends to ride staggered, which is just about the most dangerous thing to do. Neither one of us can hold a line to save our lives. I'm hoping that seeing me beat to *kitten* (skinned the top of my foot and ankle, beat up both hands and my elbow, bruises on both hips, and a really awesome bruise on my nose) right now will help change his ways. We were both at fault for the wreck but how can I gently, without nagging, get him to practice a little more caution?

Replies

• KaktusJaque
    KaktusJaque Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Im sad to hear about all the road rash! Im hoping that this accident may help him to understand the things you are telling him are for a reason.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your wipe out. I won't ride with someone that is a danger to me or others. If he refused to listen and you want to continue to ride with him then you need to ride defensively or not at all.

I would assume that the wreck probably opened his eyes a little bit, if not it might be time to start riding solo until he wises up. :)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Chances are it'll be easier to change your behavior than it will be his. If he's too close, give him more room. If he won't follow, let him lead.

etc.
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Chances are it'll be easier to change your behavior than it will be his. If he's too close, give him more room. If he won't follow, let him lead.

etc.

I think this is my best solution. He's not being a jerk, he's just always been a solo mtn biker. He has no clue how different it is to ride with a partner on pavement. We'll get there. We've only just started to do more serious riding together.
  • Archon2
    Archon2 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Ouch, @sillygoosie, that looks painful. :(