The Hound/Arya (spoilers inside)

Options
rml_16
rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
OK, so this is really a question for book readers since show-only people don't know what we know.

WTH! The Hound and Arya do NOT ever reach the Eeyrie and she does NOT ever develop sympathy for him. So I'm concerned about this story change, that they aren't going to show her leave him for dead and she isn't going to end up in Braavos and the show is going to totally ruin this storyline.

Anyone else nervous about this one?

Replies

• doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    OK, so this is really a question for book readers since show-only people don't know what we know.

WTH! The Hound and Arya do NOT ever reach the Eeyrie and she does NOT ever develop sympathy for him. So I'm concerned about this story change, that they aren't going to show her leave him for dead and she isn't going to end up in Braavos and the show is going to totally ruin this storyline.

Nope. They always find a way to pivot to the important plot points. She will leave him for dead because of the infected would from Biter and head off to Braavos.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I cancelled HBO and I keep forgetting to renew it to watch this season. I haven't seen it yet.
  • rml_16
    Options

Nope. They always find a way to pivot to the important plot points. She will leave him for dead because of the infected would from Biter and head off to Braavos.
    That's what I'm hoping, but they're so far from where she needs to be to GET to Braavos! I wonder where they're going to end this season, too, and if Brienne and Pod are still going to end up on the island with the monks because that's pretty serious for The Hound's story, too.

Also, I can't remember but they killed Biter, right? So what does that mean for Brienne's story?
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

This is exactly what I think. We all are made to think she'll be sympathetic, he'll ask her to kill him in the way he taught her earlier, she'll leave him to suffer (andnotdie).

I love almost all the Arya changes they've made in the show. Her buddy buddy act with Tywin and the Hound is amazeballs. Plus, she was at least with the Hound in the books; she may not have sympathy for him, but I do think he had a softer spot for her in the books, too, which is made more explicit in the show. Him and those Stark girls...
  • rml_16
    Options

This is exactly what I think. We all are made to think she'll be sympathetic, he'll ask her to kill him in the way he taught her earlier, she'll leave him to suffer (andnotdie).

I love almost all the Arya changes they've made in the show. Her buddy buddy act with Tywin and the Hound is amazeballs. Plus, she was at least with the Hound in the books; she may not have sympathy for him, but I do think he had a softer spot for her in the books, too, which is made more explicit in the show. Him and those Stark girls...

Oh, I love The Hound. I'm convinced he didn't actually kill the butcher's son, even though he took credit. I just don't think he has it in him to do that. Arya, on the other hand, is pretty hard inside. She's all about justice and no mercy.

No way The Hound dies, though. If it turns out he really did, I will give up on the books and the show because I think GRRM has left too many clues that he's not dead. I'm pretty sure Pod and Brienne saw him on the island but didn't know it was him.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    ANNDDD she left him for dead and is off to Braavos.
  • rml_16
    Options

But she didn't say THE LINE!!!
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options

Which line?
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    This was a good read for an opposing opinion about Lady Stoneheart (SPOILERS) DO NOT CLICK IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THE BOOKS OR DON'T WANT MASSIVE SPOILERS

http://popwatch.ew.com/2014/06/15/game-of-thrones-finale-lady-stoneheart/
  • bigswedeman
    bigswedeman Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    [Oh, I love The Hound. I'm convinced he didn't actually kill the butcher's son, even though he took credit. I just don't think he has it in him to do that. Arya, on the other hand, is pretty hard inside. She's all about justice and no mercy.

No way The Hound dies, though. If it turns out he really did, I will give up on the books and the show because I think GRRM has left too many clues that he's not dead. I'm pretty sure Pod and Brienne saw him on the island but didn't know it was him.

The hound is a very evil person, with no remorse for anything. And he does die... Later on in the books it's mentioned that he was buried in a church on a hill and that his helm was on the tombstone but someone stole it...

The whole Brienne/Hound fight was such complete BS...
  • rml_16
    Options

Which line?
    "You don't deserve mercy."
  • rml_16
    Options
    [Oh, I love The Hound. I'm convinced he didn't actually kill the butcher's son, even though he took credit. I just don't think he has it in him to do that. Arya, on the other hand, is pretty hard inside. She's all about justice and no mercy.

The hound is a very evil person, with no remorse for anything. And he does die... Later on in the books it's mentioned that he was buried in a church on a hill and that his helm was on the tombstone but someone stole it...

The whole Brienne/Hound fight was such complete BS...
    Oh ... No. Just no to all of this except the last sentence.

This is the best explanation of The Hound I've ever seen:

OK, so the image is too small to read. Go here: http://www.teampwnicorn.com/the-hound-hates-cats/

Houndandcat_zpsdbd54926.jpg
  • SapiensPisces
    Options
    I actually enjoyed the Brienne/Hound fight.

Also, if you thing the Hound is pure evil, you've not been paying attention to either the show or the books.
  • rml_16
    Options

Also, if you thing the Hound is pure evil, you've not been paying attention to either the show or the books.
    It wasn't the fight itself I had an issue with. It's that Brienne knowing Arya's alive is an issue for upcoming story. Plus, they sacrificed a lot of other things to get to that scene.

But, yes, yes, yes about The Hound. He and Sam are my two absolute favorite characters and brilliantly written and developed!
  • SapiensPisces
    Options

It wasn't the fight itself I had an issue with. It's that Brienne knowing Arya's alive is an issue for upcoming story. Plus, they sacrificed a lot of other things to get to that scene.

But, yes, yes, yes about The Hound. He and Sam are my two absolute favorite characters and brilliantly written and developed!

I think that the show is taking a lot of liberties with the story. I like not knowing exactly what is going to happen with these characters, and I hope the show continues to deviate in some ways.

I don't expect 100% faithfulness to the book or even to the characters in the book in a TV show or film adaptation.

Also, I hope to all things holy they cut out the Kingsmoot ****.
  • rml_16
    Options

I think that the show is taking a lot of liberties with the story. I like not knowing exactly what is going to happen with these characters, and I hope the show continues to deviate in some ways.

I don't expect 100% faithfulness to the book or even to the characters in the book in a TV show or film adaptation.

My issue with the deviations is that I don't feel like the show is improving upon the story, but making it worse. If the changes were as good or better than the book story, I wouldn't complain.

Anyway, I'm addicted regardless and will keep watching. They hooked me!
  • SapiensPisces
    Options

My issue with the deviations is that I don't feel like the show is improving upon the story, but making it worse. If the changes were as good or better than the book story, I wouldn't complain.

I think that it's really hard to make an assumption about whether the changes are better or worse without the story being complete, but that's just my opinion. :smile:
  • rml_16
    Options

I think that it's really hard to make an assumption about whether the changes are better or worse without the story being complete, but that's just my opinion. :smile:
    I was actually just thinking that. But then they add scenes like that stupid Craster's Keep think this season that seems to only serve as extra sex and violence with no real addition to the storyline. They seem more concerned with those things, which I guess generate some of the ratings, but I wish they would have left that out and given us Coldhands, you know?
  • SapiensPisces
    Options
    I was actually just thinking that. But then they add scenes like that stupid Craster's Keep think this season that seems to only serve as extra sex and violence with no real addition to the storyline. They seem more concerned with those things, which I guess generate some of the ratings, but I wish they would have left that out and given us Coldhands, you know?

I feel like some of the graphic sex scenes are unnecessary and only serve as shock value, and I vehemently oppose making Jaime a rapist in the show. That being said, I'm still reserving judgment on the rest. Heck, even the books aren't done yet!
  • rml_16
    Options

I feel like some of the graphic sex scenes are unnecessary and only serve as shock value, and I vehemently oppose making Jaime a rapist in the show. That being said, I'm still reserving judgment on the rest. Heck, even the books aren't done yet!
    You know, that Jaime scene was kind of ambiguous. I mean, Cersei was grabbing his head and pulling it toward her and kissing him, so yeah, she was saying no, but she also seemed like she was into it and the "nos" were more about feeling like she probably shouldn't.

The body language wasn't matching. And in the books, she instigated the sex.