Dealing with dogs on the road

Options
Archon2
Archon2 Posts: 462 Member
So, when I road bike, I try to get to know what houses have loose dogs that give chase. For example, there is a pitbull about a mile away from me that I often ride by. He used to come off his porch charging and aggressively towards me, but I have been talking to him each time I go by over the past few years, like "Hey Boy! How are you? Good boy!" and now he hardly even looks up as I go by.

I guess he kind of got used to me and the tone in my voice, so I try to use this tactic as a first way of dealing with it. I made even more dog friends in other neighborhoods too...the little yappers and some more big woofers.

But there is a very large yellow lab now on one of my favorite local routes that has been giving me a lot of concern this year. His house is on either a fast downhill section for me or, going the other way, in the middle of a slow climb that really I like to do (have done it over 30 times). I don't want to give up this route.

If I go by him downhill, he comes (and fast...this dog can run like the wind), but there is no way he can catch me so I don't worry. I am usually going 25-30mph there, and he has no chance to close in time before I am far enough away from his area.

On the climb though, he has come after me a couple times, running like he is all out to kill, growling and using an aggressive bark.

In fact, on one of these climbs, I had to turn around, abandon the climb, and revert to a downhill, getting barely enough speed and distance down the road as he was at my ankle attempting to bite. I really hated that since it ruined a good climb and I took and alternate route home. Plus I didn't like the adrenaline rush.

Another time he I had to dismount and keep the bike between me and him and slowly work my way up the road far enough out of his perceived territory before he stopped his aggression. I tried to talk friendly to him. No dice. Then I tried the sudden, loud angry human scolding tactic, shouting human-to-dog orders "Get DOWN! NOW! DOWN! GIT HOME DOG. GO!" That really surprised him at first, but then he redoubled his anger. Eventually I got far enough away, using the bike as a shield. Another nice climb ruined.

Now, I started carrying this "Halt!" anti-dog spray when I plan to go that way. (He isn't always outside. The dog missed me on my ride today, thank goodness.) The spray I am thinking will be hard to use while riding. So I am also prepared to unclip and kick him right in the mouth if he tries to bite my ankle. But I like dogs and don't want to hurt this animal. I am not afraid of this dog. But I won't let the dog bite me if I can prevent it.

Any suggestions? I don't know the people that live there, but I thought about driving up there and complaining. Or maybe a letter in the mail? Otherwise there may be a bad ending, from either the dog's point of view, my point of view, or maybe both!

I'm interested to hear your dog stories and effective ways of dealing with them.

Replies

• sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Wow! Who are these people that keep their dogs unsecured?? I've only had to deal with dogs on paths and I take extreme caution. I honestly think I would speak to the owners (depending on the kind of neighborhood). I would bring it up as an issue of their dog's safety, not mine because, well, you know how people are these days.

You could also call animal control which may seem harsh, but so is treatment for a dog bite.
  • Archon2
    Options
    Well, I live in a rural area. If there are leash laws they aren't enforced, that is for sure! Guess the police don't care either.

Sillygoosie, you have given me what may be a good idea. Every time this happens, I am also obviously looking to see if the owners are in their yard, but they haven't come outside at all. Too bad, since it would be a good way to talk with them. I suppose I could drive up their long driveway and go to the front door too, but I was worried about them being defensive or have some kind of attitude (as you say, people today are often like that). But if I say the dog chases me out into the road and I am worried out their friendly/lovely/sweet (private thoughts: CUJO!) dog getting hit by a car when that happens, who could get an attitude then?
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I would either talk to the owner(s) or call animal control. The benefit of calling animal control is that you can be a bit more anonymous and if/when this dog does bite someone, the owners can't claim that they didn't know that he was threatening people. Animal control won't do much except talk to the owners, if they do that, as no one has been hurt to this point. The owners also might take it more seriously.
  • DeliriumCanBeFun
    DeliriumCanBeFun Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I put in a lot of milage on country roads, and I have no tolerance for people who let their dogs run loose. I wouldn't want to confront the owners unless they were outside and witnessed what happened, but I wouldn't hesitate to call animal control if it's a recurring problem like you're having. There was a issue recently here on one road with a few dogs, and some of us just stayed away from that area for a spell. I would never want to hurt any animal, but my personal safety is my only concern. I hope it never comes down to it, but I would use any kind of force neccessary to keep a dog off of me. I would never use any kind of spray because it tends to be windy where I live, and I certainly don't want any getting on me. I have found that hollering as deeply, loudly and angrily as possible has worked well many times for me. And a good squirt to the face with a water bottle can slow them down too.
  • lpherman01
    lpherman01 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    If you do decide to leave a note, be sure to mention that their dog is running into the road to chase you, and that besides not you wanting to possibly get bit, there is a very real chance that their dog could be stuck by an oncoming car. If that doesn't raise a proper response from them, concern for their own dog, then your are wasting your time trying to be considerate and just make the call to animal control, or just be ready next time and give him a good shot of pepper spray. Maybe he'll be smart enough to remember that for the future.
  • allenhandley
    allenhandley Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I would try talking to the owners about the safety of the dog also. If they don't seem to be too concerned, then I would contact animal control. This will probably make them mad, but if they are not going to keep their dog under control you have no other options.

If you choose to not say anything, I have found that aggressively yelling at the dog WHILE squirting them in the face works pretty well.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
  • KaktusJaque
    KaktusJaque Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I'm with most here. I wouldn't want to hurt the dog, but I would do whatever it takes to keep me safe. One thing that comes to my mind is your personal safety, I'm not talking about a dog bite, its been my experience that when a dog was chasing me like the dog as you described, my focus now is only on keeping track of the dog to make sure he is not going to attack, this means I am no longer concentrating on my riding. I my stray off my line possibly near passing cars, cars may see me make a sudden move and swerve to avoid me, that could cause a car accident if there were two cars. There are a lot of scenarios for this situation that are not good. Back when frame pumps were the norm, they made for nice "sticks" to hit an attacking dog if necessary, but those are not as common anymore.

I think if you had to spray the dog once, that would be the end of your problems, and the end of the same problem for any other riders that this dog may go after. Pain is a very good teacher. and dogs remember painful lessons.
  • Archon2
    Options
    So after reading these good suggestions, I think I am going to avoid calling animal control for at least one more incident, should it occur. If the dog comes at me on the climb, I am going to get off the bike straight off, and use it as a shield again. Will shout to the owners if they are outside. If that works, and if they restrain him, then we have the nice conversation and I explain it is unsafe for Rover to run into the road like that after cyclists. If they aren't there, or if they don't bother helping pull him back, then the dog is going to get a taste or two of this Halt! stuff (it is weak pepper spray just for dogs), as I'll have it in hand ready before I go past their driveway. Then I will resume the ride, depending on the dog's reaction, or defend myself as appropriate. I can probably aim straight with not being on the bike and there won't be any back-blow of wind. Hopefully the dog will then remember the experience and be not eager to repeat it.

If it happens again after that, then a call to animal control. Thats da plan!
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,201 Member
    Options
    I sometimes ride where bears can be an issue. Bear Spray is pretty strong stuff but I found most of the time water from my water bottle works just fine. Most people where I ride keep pets confined. We live in pretty rural area and I avoid those areas where people don't keep dogs confined. On note, I have been known to use cars as a shield. When the dogs give chase I'll switch sides of the road and try to get the driver of the next car coming along to slow down. The car usually distracts the dogs long enough for me to put some distance between me and the dogs.