Tall people problems

Options
There's more to being tall than having to eat buckets of food everyday just to maintain! My posture sucks because I'm always looking down and I can't drink out of bottles in a car because they hit the roof. And all my jeans are highwaters! The world is a cruel place but I can reach the top of the fridge so I guess it evens out. What problems have you had being 6'+ in a 5'8" world?

Replies

• MissAlyGator
    MissAlyGator Posts: 185
    Options
    THIS is the best. Especially the bit about drinking out of a bottle in a car!
  • Bebubble
    Bebubble Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    When I was a younger lady the jeans, pants, dresses, clam diggers all too short! So dumb. But no a days they are making them longer!
  • JoshTheGiant
    JoshTheGiant Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    How about having to duck everywhere we walk to not have to bang our heads on things? I forget all the time. If I stand up all the way on an airplane I bang my head!
  • Bebubble
    Bebubble Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    How about having to duck everywhere we walk to not have to bang our heads on things? I forget all the time. If I stand up all the way on an airplane I bang my head!

Not only bang your head the leg room when you sit! How about that? Your knees can not even get in on some planes! And the back seats of some sedans are a laugh!
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Getting asked to reach for things. Going up stairs behind slow people. Our legs are built for two at a time. We fall down harder, especially while doing activities like snowboarding.
  • JoshTheGiant
    Options
    Getting asked to reach for things. Going up stairs behind slow people. Our legs are built for two at a time. We fall down harder, especially while doing activities like snowboarding.

This x2
  • pope66682
    pope66682 Posts: 249 Member
    Options

This x2

Yup, every time I go food shopping, I have to grab something from the top shelf for someone else
  • trish07tx
    trish07tx Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    How about CONSTANTLY being asked if you played basketball in High School/College??? Just because I am tall doesn't mean I am coordinated AT ALL! THe constant bruises on my body can account for how clumbsy I am!
  • JoshTheGiant
    Options
    How about CONSTANTLY being asked if you played basketball in High School/College??? Just because I am tall doesn't mean I am coordinated AT ALL! THe constant bruises on my body can account for how clumbsy I am!

Haha I did play but yes it does get annoying being asked stuff just because we're tall!
  • JeffInJax
    JeffInJax Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Hmmm besides shopping for clothes nothing really bothers me, maybe im just laid back but almost every shopping trip im happy to help someone reach something or answering questions. Its kind of like enjoying weightlifting, a lot of people think of me when something heavy needs to be lifted or moved, which I dont really mind.
  • JoshTheGiant
    Options
    Hmmm besides shopping for clothes nothing really bothers me, maybe im just laid back but almost every shopping trip im happy to help someone reach something or answering questions. Its kind of like enjoying weightlifting, a lot of people think of me when something heavy needs to be lifted or moved, which I dont really mind.

How tall are you Jeff?
  • JeffInJax
    JeffInJax Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I am 6'5"
  • avril2626
    avril2626 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    the clothes thing is huge. as stated earlier, when I was young, they didn't make pants long enough. I got good at sewing, and modifying. As a teenager, could wear 501's or guys pants, and get a 34 or 36 inseam. They have a lot of women's pants in longer lengths now, if you know where to find 'em. When I get thin, at a size 8 or lower, the sleeves are all too short, the waistline is too high, and lengths are too short! They make really cute clothes for petite women, and they could take them up, or in. You can't add fabric.
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    Cindy here. 5foot 10. Size 11 shoes. I have always been tall and looked older than my age. My mother had to always carry by birth certificate to prove I was younger than I looked.
    My leg length is 36. Try and find pants long enough...not going to happen. I was teased terrible over my flood pants. My arms are also long so my shirts and jackets are always short. Even my late hubby was short...
    My new hubby is 6 foot 2 so at least now I feel normal.
    I love to be asked to reach for high things in the store. Guess for that moment I am special.
  • daniellee725
    daniellee725 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Negatives: Trying to buy clothes that are meant for 5'4" women when I am 6'1". Old Navy has a tall section online for women, which is AWESOME!
    Having a boyfriend that is shorter than me.
    Always being told that I'm "really tall"
    Having to duck down to be in conversations with a group of your girl friends.
    Dresses that are never the right length.
    Jackets that were supposed to cover your whole arm are now 3/4 sleeve jackets.

Positives: Never getting lost in a crowd, because I can just look over everyone's heads!
    Automatic Halloween costume! (just put on a lot of gaudy makeup and dress in hooker heels, and voila! Instant drag queen!)
    Shotgun is in a state of eternal dibs for the tall people... I love that short friends just understand this and don't fight it..
    Getting to stand out. I really do love being a tall girl, aside from the clothes buying. I love having something about me that makes me unique. b*tches be jelly that I can get that height without killing myself in heels! (Even if I do tend to kill myself in heels every now and then)
  • hotmama84
    hotmama84 Posts: 10
    Options
    Buying clothes!!! Why is it difficult to make longer leg length clothes for tall women? Im 6ft and wear a 36" inside leg. Now a few shops cater for this but they then charge the earth for them!! Practically have to re-mortgage just to afford to dress my height!!
  • pythonesk
    pythonesk Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11", size 12 shoe, and when people ask me in the store to reach something from the top shelf I say "What makes you think I can reach that?" and we usually share a chuckle.

The hardest part is trying to fit into airline seats. Quelle claustrophobia! And because sleeves are always too short. I do better with trouser length so long as I can get a tall size, but back in the day I was always dropping the hem out of slacks.

I used to always have to buy men's shoes because I couldn't get anything to fit my feet. But I also have narrow feet so men's shoes are super wide for me. It sucks! Nowadays I have more options, thanks to the web and Zappos.com for shoes.

My hubby is 6'4" and slender. Do you know how hard it is to find Large Tall shirts? They automatically assume that if you are tall you are also wide. Sheesh. He's also got narrow feet so we pay a ton for his boots. Argh!
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    Now that winter is coming I dread shopping for a new coat knowing the bloody sleeves will be half way to my elbows.
  • pythonesk
    pythonesk Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Now that winter is coming I dread shopping for a new coat knowing the bloody sleeves will be half way to my elbows.

I always buy coats & jackets with turned up cuffs. That way you can just turn down the cuffs and then the sleeves are long enough. Really limits your choice though.