Healthy breakfasts for Ramadan

Options
TasnimEz
TasnimEz Posts: 280 Member
Salaam aleykum, wondering if anyone would like to share what they usually have for suhur? Ramadan is coming soon and I thought it would be a good idea to share tips and tricks on healthy food to stay happy and healthy during long days of fasting.
:smile: :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Ladyinsilk
    Ladyinsilk Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Salam dear … usually I have a banana (I don’t feel thirsty or hungry the next day) and some yogurt or cheese not the salty ones.. eggs.. bread or if I had good leftovers from iftar… this Ramadan I’m planning to make it healtheier by avoiding the loads of sugar and fat between iftar and suhoor
  • TasnimEz
    Options
    Sugar makes the hunger a lot worse for me. :noway: Unfortunately it's so easy to overeat. :blushing:
  • Tammer81
    Tammer81 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    This year I think I'm going to do my whey protein shakes:

2 scoops Optimum Gold Standard 100% Whey (48g protein)
    ⅓ cup Fage plain nonfat Greek yogurt (8g protein)
    1 cup 1% milk (8g protein)
    ¼ tsp ground cinnamon (0g protein)
    6 packets of Splenda (0g protein)

All told, 64g protein at just under 400 total calories
  • dillasa
    dillasa Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My husband eats left overs, who can eat beans, rice, etc. for breakfast?!? I guess that's an arab thing lol. My big thing is water. My first two Ramadans (6 years ago) I ended up being very sick and was told both times by different doctors it was due to severe dehydration and I had to stop fasting for several days until my fluid levels returned (Both times I let it go too far because I didn't want to go to a doctor but I wouldn't stop fasting without an approved medical issue). Since then I have made sure to drink 2 bottles of water (40 oz) at suhoor and I have water for iftar (not juice b/c the sugar spike leaves me dizzy). I also eat protein (eggs, yogurt, turkey sausage, etc.) for suhoor. My concern this year is exercising. Any ideas on when to get some cardio in? A night, right before iftar, after suhoor?
  • TasnimEz
    Options
    Yeah I tried to eat couscous for breakfast. It wasn't for me, lol! Too much.

What worked pretty ok for me last time was oatmeal. A bit too heavy for my taste but it helped. Exercise is something I'm not really focused on during Ramadan, I'll just stick to walking in the evening after dinner and perhaps some light strength training with stability ball. I don't do well with a lot of exercise and that's even more true for when I'm fasting..
  • Ladyinsilk
    Ladyinsilk Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    @dillasa yeah most of the people in the Middle east have rice and cooked meals for sohoor and the same for Iftar... our families do the same but in my little family we have changed this to breakfast food for sohoor instead of cooked meals.... to avoid thirst and dehydration have at least 2 liters of water between iftar and sohoor and have a banana as part of your sohoor you will see the difference .. I tried it when I was pregnant 2years back it worked and it's really hot and looooong fasting hours over here
  • TasnimEz
    Options
    @dillasa yeah most of the people in the Middle east have rice and cooked meals for sohoor and the same for Iftar... our families do the same but in my little family we have changed this to breakfast food for sohoor instead of cooked meals.... to avoid thirst and dehydration have at least 2 liters of water between iftar and sohoor and have a banana as part of your sohoor you will see the difference .. I tried it when I was pregnant 2years back it worked and it's really hot and looooong fasting hours over here
    I'll remember the banana! :happy: I'm thinking oatmeal, dates stuffed with teaspoon of butter and a walnut, banana (thanks for the tip), nuts, eggs... Not all of it at the same time though, lol..
  • sharialwee
    sharialwee Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Usually we have rice for iftar but I'm trying to eat lighter this year with a bit more protein. For suhoor, I would have oat smoothie. It's healthy and filling. I usually slack off my workout during Ramadan but this year I plan to do at least a mile walk daily with some light strength training and abs.
  • AHASRADA
    AHASRADA Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    For suhoor, I usually eat oatmeal, eggs, fruit and kefir or yogurt. I also make sure to drink at least 3 liters of water in 24 hours. So, 1 liter at suhoor, at least 1 liter at iftar and the rest before bed. I add a cup of coconut water at iftar to replenish electrolytes, etc. (my kids like to drink diluted Gatorade).

I also avoid sweets the entire month. They are not necessary or good for us anyway, spike insulin and then cause a crash of lethargy, etc., just not good when fasting. I eat one or two dates to break the fast, but no honey-drenched cakes or sugary treats.

As for exercise, I do my best to work out immediately before iftar, if the rest of my family is able to set the table. I also try to get a walk in before bed, whether walking to and from the mosque or around the neighborhood with hubby. I have worked out before suhoor in past years, but that is just too early for me now!
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    My recommendation, to keep up maximum strength throughout the day and have a good, healthy start, would be to eat a suhoor rich in protein, fiber, and fat :)

My go-to is peanut butter on whole wheat, but if you can stomach it (it's a little heavy), hommos is a wonderful source of all three! Another one would be a salad topped with tuna and a bit of olive oil :) Eggs on whole wheat are a great idea as well!

Also, definitely don't forget to have plenty of water!