Would like some reassurance :)

StephieWillcox
StephieWillcox Posts: 627 Member
Hi ladies,

I am a long time stalker of this group, and although I do not have a PCOS diagnosis, I 100% believe I have it.

Doctors always ignore me because my periods are very regular, but I don't believe I am ovulating, so who the hell knows what is going on.

For just under a month I have been following a low carb diet (<50g net a day, usually <50g gross), but since this is how I'm going to eat forever I am planning on eating a take-away pizza tonight with my hubs.

I'm going to end up at 114g carbs today (130g gross). And this is a once-in-a-while thing (maybe once a month).

Is this going to make my PCOS crazy, or should this be fine occasionally?

I should note that we are not actively TTC (we don't need the added pressure of that!), although I am on no BC and we would welcome any little miracle that would come our way!

Essentially all I am trying to do is get my hormones back to a normal level, get rid of all of this excess hair, keep my acne away and lose a little more weight!

Thanks,

Steph :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    In theory, doing that won't cause long-term issues, though you'll probably feel like crap tomorrow. However, how long the effects last does largely depend on a) how long you've been <50g carbs, and b) how your body reacts to the refined carbs in said pizza.

Without cooperative doctors, it's really impossible to tell, though, because a lot of things go on that don't have outward effects.

That said, part of maintaining a way of eating is doing what doesn't drive you insane. If a once-a-month pizza is part of that, then so be it, just try not to let it creep in more often. If it starts creeping in too much, you'll start undoing the progress you made with your low-carb diet.

Also, keep looking for a cooperative doctor. At the very least, you should be getting bloodwork periodically. If they won't do that, fire them and get a new one as soon as possible.
  • StephieWillcox
    Thanks Dragonwolf.

I must say, I didn't feel too bad the next day, a little slugglish but nothing too bad.

I'm in the UK, so no ability to "fire" my doctor as such, although I may move to a different practice to see if someone there will help me!

As you say, I will make sure this is a rare event, and I think I should have exercised afterwards to burn up as much glucose as possible - something to work on in the future!
  • MeepleMuppet
    MeepleMuppet Posts: 226 Member
    And great attitude about pregnancy! That's exactly the way to do it. If you do happen to have a mild, or different, form of PCOS, the pre-baby blues really does seem to make getting pregnant and sustaining the pregnancy that much harder. You will want some sort of diagnoses before getting pregnant though just in case you do have PCOS and need the doc to prescribe the extra progesterone.
  • teddiebare
    teddiebare Posts: 46 Member
    In my opinion, your higher carb days should coincide with how active you are. I work out 5x a week, with 3 of those days being heavy lifting. I also walk 5 miles or so a day at work. I eat around 150g of carbs once a week to refill my glycogen stores, which is a modified version of cyclical ketogenic diet. Every other day I keep my carbs to less than 50. I have lost 22 lbs since January, and as a severe hypoglycemic, the higher carb days haven't bothered me. It gives me something to look forward to, and keeps me sane. It depends on how well your body does with it. For me, it keeps my lifting and activity fueled enough to see results. I'd probably lose a little faster if I didn't do it once a week, but I also have to live with this for the rest of my life. I've found a good happy-medium for my lifestyle, and I'm seeing good results:

810a612d-ca44-45cf-bd11-0d63a9e8434c_zps7fd05255.jpg
  • knittingayle
    knittingayle Posts: 98 Member
    Wow, you look great! Thanks for the tips !!
  • StephieWillcox
    I just found this old post of mine... 5 days after starting this post, on 11th June 2014, I found out I was pregnant.

My daughter is now 8.5 months old and I am trying to get back into low-carbing to get my symptoms (and weight) under control.

At the time of conception I was following low carb and taking 4g of inositol daily, time to get back to it!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    I just found this old post of mine... 5 days after starting this post, on 11th June 2014, I found out I was pregnant.

My daughter is now 8.5 months old and I am trying to get back into low-carbing to get my symptoms (and weight) under control.

At the time of conception I was following low carb and taking 4g of inositol daily, time to get back to it!

Congratulations!!! Here's to doing things right to have the longest, best life you can with your family. (hugs)