Guess I will go ahead and introduce myself

Options
Hi, I am Kris!

(Here's my lengthy MFP autobiography...lol)

I have been a member of MFP since January 2012 weighing 170lb. I joined because I needed to lose weight for my May 2012 wedding, which I succeeded through much cardio and low calorie eating. I got down to 153 for my big day just to gain a few more pounds during the honeymoon. Nevertheless, I stuck around some months after in attempt to lose more weight (to get back down to my pre-preggers weight of 145) but got impatient and fell off the wagon. I did managed to learn before falling off that eating low calorie was not the way to go for a sustainable healthy lifestyle and joined the Eat More to Lose More group. I upped my calories to 1800-1900 while still doing cardio but got bored and left for awhile.

You can guess what happened next...I gained weight and started January 2013 at 166lb. I had sense enough to know that I was not going back to the low calorie diet. I plugged in my stats in the Scooby calculator, set my daily goal, and decided I wanted to dabbled into strength training after seeing more and more women achieving great results under the heavy bar. I looked into two highly recommended beginner programs: NROLW and SL. I ultimately decided on NROLW because I did not have the resources nor access to a bar, weights, and rack at the time. Trying to make the best of my situation, I started NROLW with lots of modifications (using dumbells) but just couldn't get past stage 2. The program was getting too busy with random exercises and I just didn't have the right equipment. Although I saw some changes to my body, I just wasn't driven to push forward with my fitness and took a 6 month break from MFP.

Soooo, I returned January of this year sitting at 171lb. It is crazy that in two years that despite my efforts, I gained a net of 1lb. I decided that this has got to stop. My daughter will be 5 this year so I have long ran out of excuses for this excess weight. My family transitioned to a plant based diet in January so MFP for critical for me to make sure I was getting adequate nutrients into my body daily. I decided to kick off my fitness by completing Jillian Michael's Ripped in 30 program because I bought it the year before and never completed it the first time. Therefore, I had to justify spending the money on the DVD. I completed that, then went to the 30 Day Shred, completed that, and did one more round of Ripped in 30. As I was doing the second round of Ripped in 30, I noticed how much I enjoyed the strength movements more than the cardio exercises although everything was kicking my butt. As time progressed, I came to the realization that I wanted to pick up strength training again but instead do something more basic yet progressive. I then thought about the Stronglifts program especially since we picked up a great deal on a bench, bar, and weight set on Craigslist late last year. I expressed my excitement about the program so much that my husband bought me (us) a rack off Craigslist for Mother's Day. I knew there was no turning back now.

So here I am, after lurking for the past few months on this group, taking notes, learning the ropes. I just completed my first week of Stronglifts and I feel great about what I am getting myself into. The funny thing about this whole story (I am promise I will stop here and take a seat) is that I have been a member of this group since July 2012 but never dabbled into it until earlier year. I think the strength training seed was planted back then but has now starting to sprout. :-)

Look forward to getting to know all of you!

Replies

• ketoandbarbell
    ketoandbarbell Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Glad your here!
  • sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    It's never too late! Let that seed grow. Welcome :flowerforyou:
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Kris. I'm Deb. Glad to have you here.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Welcome welcome! I totally get you on liking the strength-based stuff more than the cardio. I ended up here after doing my share of workout DVDs (and heck , I still pop them in from time to time. Some of them ARE actually fun to get through!). Good to see the lifting seed has grown in you! Here's to your future success with the program! :drinker:
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I am also on the YAY lifting, NAY cardio train. lol :)

I can deal with jogging, I actually enjoy swimming, but try to make me jump rope or get on a rower and I might make a grumpy face. :p
  • beautifullyblessed16
    beautifullyblessed16 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Aw, thanks ladies! And thanks for enduring my intro. :-)
    Welcome welcome! I totally get you on liking the strength-based stuff more than the cardio. I ended up here after doing my share of workout DVDs (and heck , I still pop them in from time to time. Some of them ARE actually fun to get through!). Good to see the lifting seed has grown in you! Here's to your future success with the program! :drinker:

Which ones are fun? I am trying to recover getting my butt kicked by Jillian. lol

@suremeansyes: It is definitely a breath of fresh air not doing cardio everyday. I can totally get used to this.
  • rlw911
    rlw911 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Stick around and have some fun with us!

Lifting trumps cardio for me, every time.:happy:
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Aw, thanks ladies! And thanks for enduring my intro. :-)

Which ones are fun? I am trying to recover getting my butt kicked by Jillian. lol

@suremeansyes: It is definitely a breath of fresh air not doing cardio everyday. I can totally get used to this.

I'm a big fan of Tapout XT. I find the trainer (Mike Karpenko) really motivating and he's kinda silly à la Tony Horton but not as much, and I love doing cardio while kicking and punching so there's that, too! I could never get into insanity or Focus T25. I tried a few videos from friends and it just feel slike jumping in place with no purpose forever to me.

@suremeansyes You do well to avoid jump ropes. They are evil. Speed ropes are serious b**ches when you miss a jump. It's like a frickin' whip hitting you! lol
  • KaterinaTerese
    KaterinaTerese Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Let that seed grow! Welcome to the group! :drinker:
  • cstringfellow2013
    cstringfellow2013 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Welcome! This is a great group here.

I use to love cardio until I started lifting and now I'd rather lift.
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    @suremeansyes You do well to avoid jump ropes. They are evil. Speed ropes are serious b**ches when you miss a jump. It's like a frickin' whip hitting you! lol

Lol, that's where I got my hatred of them! As a kid, they were awesome.

Teddy bear, teddy bear, touch the ground...
    Teddy bear, teddy bear, turn around...
  • beautifullyblessed16
    beautifullyblessed16 Posts: 180 Member
    Options

Lol, that's where I got my hatred of them! As a kid, they were awesome.

Teddy bear, teddy bear, touch the ground...
    Teddy bear, teddy bear, turn around...

Oh wow...I totally forgot about that song. You just brought back some happy memories.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Welcome. :flowerforyou:
  • TurboTam
    TurboTam Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Tamra, and new to StrongLifts as well. Today will be my first day. Kris and I were in the same "Ripped in 30" group so it's great to see someone with the same "lifting" bug. A little about myself. I use to compete in Olympic Power Lifting WAAAAY back in the day (1998-99) then sadly my trainer, the only one in town moved. I switched back to bodybuilding, I've always loved the feeling of being strong. Do to life happening and me just tossing my hands up in the air I was away from the weights for a little over a year. Now I'm back and so happy to find all you strong ladies to lift with! I've been lurking and learning for a little bit and I just decided to jump in, that's the best way for me to learn. Just Do It.. I sound like a Nike commercial! Please add me and I welcome any suggestions and guidance.