Do you ever wonder if YOU'RE the reason you're single?

bd0027
bd0027 Posts: 1,053 Member
I'm beginning to believe I'M the problem. All men that I start seeing either lose interest or seek out other women. All of my family/friends tell me I invest too much too quickly by letting the guy know that he has my interest, but I don't really know how to tone that down. If I'm interested, I don't feel the need to pretend that I'm not.

Am I alone in thinking that I'M the reason things tend to not work out?

Replies

• sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    You're not alone girl.

I'm doing the opposite... I'm not letting on that i like the guy, maybe that's my problem. Maybe i'm too aloof.
  • bd0027
    You're not alone girl.

I'm doing the opposite... I'm not letting on that i like the guy, maybe that's my problem. Maybe i'm too aloof.

Dating is confusing. I suck at it lol.
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    me tooooo!!!! try being out of the dating world for 20 some years and then having to go back into it! sooooo confusing! but it's all good, we'll get it right at some point! :flowerforyou:
  • bd0027
    me tooooo!!!! try being out of the dating world for 20 some years and then having to go back into it! sooooo confusing! but it's all good, we'll get it right at some point! :flowerforyou:

I'm 23 but I feel like I don't know the first thing about making it work with someone. Hopefully it'll work out for both of us someday. :flowerforyou:
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Unfortunately I do know that I am the reason I'm single. It has to do with my fluffyness.

Otherwise I'm pretty sure some of the guys that have "friendzoned" me would totally be in my kool-aid, and I've had one that said that they would, so I'm not simply guessing at it.

It's not that I enjoy being fluffy, I just have not figured it out yet. :flowerforyou:
    The sad part is that I will try my entire life to lose the weight, and I'll be without a significant other for that duration (I won't say that I'll be alone, bc I have friends, I have a fwb - for now anyways, and sometimes I enjoy alone time)

It just sucks that weight is that high on the list of priorities now. So when people say it's the journey and your health that matters, I say they are wrong. Results are the only thing that matters. :sad:

I shouldn't say anything, I've done that before too. But the guys that I just couldn't force myself to be attracted to, could not keep thier pants up. I dunno why that's a dealbreaker, maybe I'm just an *kitten*, but it is.

Ugh that sounds so sad....but I'm not terribly depressed sad about it, it's just true.
  • bd0027
    Unfortunately I do know that I am the reason I'm single. It has to do with my fluffyness.

Otherwise I'm pretty sure some of the guys that have "friendzoned" me would totally be in my kool-aid, and I've had one that said that they would, so I'm not simply guessing at it.

It's not that I enjoy being fluffy, I just have not figured it out yet. :flowerforyou:
    The sad part is that I will try my entire life to lose the weight, and I'll be without a significant other for that duration (I won't say that I'll be alone, bc I have friends, I have a fwb - for now anyways, and sometimes I enjoy alone time)

It just sucks that weight is that high on the list of priorities now. So when people say it's the journey and your health that matters, I say they are wrong. Results are the only thing that matters. :sad:

I shouldn't say anything, I've done that before too. But the guys that I just couldn't force myself to be attracted to, could not keep thier pants up. I dunno why that's a dealbreaker, maybe I'm just an *kitten*, but it is.

Ugh that sounds so sad....but I'm not terribly depressed sad about it, it's just true.

I think weight is still a reason why I'm single too. I've lost about 75 pounds but I'm still plus size. I pull more men now, but not men that I'm attracted to. Man, I sound like a douche lol.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    I dont think it's YOU. OR HIM!

I just dont think you've met the right guy yet! When you do, then you tend to click in most things. You 'fit'! It's not easy to find someone compatible. But keep on looking, cos I truly believe there is someone for everyone! :flowerforyou:
  • bd0027
    I dont think it's YOU. OR HIM!

I just dont think you've met the right guy yet! When you do, then you tend to click in most things. You 'fit'! It's not easy to find someone compatible. But keep on looking, cos I truly believe there is someone for everyone! :flowerforyou:
    Aw, thanks. :flowerforyou:
  • Follow_me
    Follow_me Posts: 6,120 Member
    I don't have to wonder. I know it's the reason I'm single.

Too picky, I won't settle.
  • bd0027

My friends tell me my expectations are too high, so I guess that's my problem too.
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member

My friends tell me my expectations are too high, so I guess that's my problem too.

My friends would tell me that too. I always found it offensive. I took it to mean that they didn't believe I was good enough to find anyone better or that my judgment wasn't good enough. It's ironic because most of my friends come to me for advice on personal or financial issues. Many of them are now divorced or in lousy relationships too (not all of them but the ones who are most likely to express the opinion that I am too picky). The hell with your friends. At the end of the day, whether you are happy or miserable, those friends are only going to experience a small fraction of your life.
  • bd0027

My friends would tell me that too. I always found it offensive. I took it to mean that they didn't believe I was good enough to find anyone better or that my judgment wasn't good enough. It's ironic because most of my friends come to me for advice on personal or financial issues. Many of them are now divorced or in lousy relationships too (not all of them but the ones who are most likely to express the opinion that I am too picky). The hell with your friends. At the end of the day, whether you are happy or miserable, those friends are only going to experience a small fraction of your life.

Thank you. (:
  • AnnaPixie
    In matters of the heart, I think your expectations SHOULD be high!! Why would you settle for someone not right for you?

Like I said, you just haven't met the one yet. :flowerforyou:
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    In matters of the heart, I think your expectations SHOULD be high!! Why would you settle for someone not right for you?

But what frustrates me is why must (not discounting you bd0027 at all) we wait so long?

Why when I could be spending quality time with that person now, must I wait until I'm 47, or after my kids have grown and gone. It just frustrates the heck out of me.

I mean I know I get to use this time to really dig in and raise my kids, which I'm totally digging it. But gosh darn it, it'd be nice to share my experiences and stories with someone. Poo.
  • AnnaPixie

But what frustrates me is why must (not discounting you bd0027 at all) we wait so long?

Why when I could be spending quality time with that person now, must I wait until I'm 47, or after my kids have grown and gone. It just frustrates the heck out of me.

I mean I know I get to use this time to really dig in and raise my kids, which I'm totally digging it. But gosh darn it, it'd be nice to share my experiences and stories with someone. Poo.

There's no way you can know if you'll wait till 47 hun. It might happen next week. Just stay open to it and keep on keeping on.......life is full of surprises ! :flowerforyou:
  • laurenz2501
    laurenz2501 Posts: 839 Member

BINGO. Same here.

ETA: I could have a boyfriend easily if I decided to be with someone I have no interest in :laugh:
    But the ones I'm interested in aren't interested in me. ::shrug:: Oh well.
  • grum84
    grum84 Posts: 428 Member
    Most of my singledom has definitely been because of me. The prime time I should have been looking for relationships was college as you are surrounded with people your own age and it is so easy to meet them (compared to after). My weight had really taken down my self esteem and I didn't make those connections.

Now, I have the confidence, hobbies, and happiness with myself, but still struggle with the weight. The women I am interested in physically just aren't interested in me. If I don't want to settle, why would they?

That said, women do seem to be interested in me, but not those I am physically attracted to. I have gone on quite a few dates in hopes that maybe her personality, sense of humor or shared interests would win me over, but it hasn't happened yet.
  • metanoia0116
    metanoia0116 Posts: 143 Member
    I have different ideas about why I am single. My main reason is because of me. I don't make time for dating. I don't look, I am not online, and I make zero effort. I am doing this for many reasons though. I am not confident enough about me to put myself out there and I really don't have the time.

When I feel more confident, I might make the effort. I can deal with not dating but damn I really miss the sex. lol
  • Tube_socks
    Tube_socks Posts: 808 Member
    It could be you or him. But like Anna says maybe it is just the wrong guy or wrong timing.

We all have different dating styles. I'm more old fashioned so I never initiated contact with a man unless we were dating for a while. I also didn't sleep with a guy unless we were in a relationship. The guys I dated were ok with this stuff but I'm sure there are dudes out there that wouldn't be. Some guys prefer more aggressive women etc but that just means they aren't the one for me.
    My current bf and I fit greatly. I was receptive to him but never let it be me who was doing the chasing. Again, his personality (100% alpha) fits great with mine.
  • jkandktmom
    jkandktmom Posts: 1,010 Member
    I know it's me. My ex-bf and I have this together-but-not-together relationship and neither of us is going to move on until we get out of eachother's lives. I just don't want to right now. My therapist is always talking about "needs being met" and right now he meets enough of mine to not want to move on. But, I will.... someday.