No Drop Rides

Options
sillygoosie
sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
Who is responsible for making sure no one gets dropped? I just need to settle a debate.

Replies

• Lard_Vader
    Lard_Vader Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I'd say the organizer of the ride if it is classified as such. If I usually organize a "no drop" ride I make it my responsibility that everyone stays together. Typically I find one of the slower riders and stick them in the middle to make sure they are comfy--all else should work out.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Yup, the one who promises "no drop" needs to make sure no one gets dropped even if that means assigning a "sweep".

Speaking of, SheClimber is coming with me to the Dirt Divas ride Wednesday. You should come. :drinker:
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
  • sheclimber
    sheclimber Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    yes and yes!
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Thanks, ladies but I won't make it. Still nursing my leg wound and it's probably not a good idea to do anything out of my element.
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    There needs to be two people 'responsible' on a 'no-drop' ride surely? Someone at the front setting a pace; speeding up/slowing down depending on the rest of the riders (& stopping a pre-arranged points?) Then a sweeper, to collect up anyone who's slowed down to get them to the meeting point.

Also, don't forget, the slower riders will need a 'rest' at the meeting point too - Don't just wait for the re-group, then set off again :laugh:

That's how I see it anyway...
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    There needs to be two people 'responsible' on a 'no-drop' ride surely? Someone at the front setting a pace; speeding up/slowing down depending on the rest of the riders (& stopping a pre-arranged points?) Then a sweeper, to collect up anyone who's slowed down to get them to the meeting point.

Also, don't forget, the slower riders will need a 'rest' at the meeting point too - Don't just wait for the re-group, then set off again :laugh:

That's how I see it anyway...

That's how we used to run the "Reliability Runs" back in my days with the Bike Club - Basically a "Road Captain" who sets the pace (and gives a bollocking to anyone who exceeds it) and the "Sweeper" who would drop back with a couple of the fastest lads if anyone had a mechanical, help the repairs,then pace them back to the group, who'd be pootling along just fast enough not to start getting cold.

ETA: of course, this was WAY before the era of mobile phones etc, so the whole thing had to be pre-arranged in advance, and everyone had to be briefed before setting off... it really was quite regimented tbh :-(
  • lpherman01
    lpherman01 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Depending on the size of the group, it is typically the ride leader who is responsible. If the group is large, then maybe there would be a sweeper on the back who would stay with a struggling rider and let the leader know that someone is off the back and they need to either slow the pace a little or wait for them.
  • kerrylikesbikes
    kerrylikesbikes Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    "That's how we used to run the "Reliability Runs" back in my days with the Bike Club - Basically a "Road Captain" who sets the pace (and gives a bollocking to anyone who exceeds it) and the "Sweeper" who would drop back with a couple of the fastest lads if anyone had a mechanical, help the repairs,then pace them back to the group, who'd be pootling along just fast enough not to start getting cold.

ETA: of course, this was WAY before the era of mobile phones etc, so the whole thing had to be pre-arranged in advance, and everyone had to be briefed before setting off... it really was quite regimented tbh :-(
    [/quote]"

I participate in a ride exactly like this! It is quite organized. In the pre ride briefing they do ask if anyone is new and review the stated pace of the ride (it is no drop as long as you can stick to the pace guidelines). It is also requested by the ride organizers that if you "invite" someone to to the ride that you stick with them the first time or two...
  • cyclistphil
    cyclistphil Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    So the way our no drop rides work with the pople I ride with is that we all have designated spots that we meet back up after Hills or sprint point sections. Then ride again as a group from there. If there is anything other than toatally flat land its very hard to have a ride where nobody ever gets dropped. I would say though to answer your question whoever organizes the ride should be responsible for the "rules".
  • mlove351
    mlove351 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    the one is assigned to sweep