New to the group, but not to MFP

Options
LadyBos
LadyBos Posts: 30 Member
Hello. Back in 2010, I joined MFP and lost so much weight I thought I was going through reverse menopause and heading for my high school body again. A little logging, a little exercise and the weight fell off at a predictable pound or two a week for a grand total of 60 pounds. I even wore a two-piece bathing suit (gasp!).

Fast forward to today. I'm now remarried and pushing 50 and suddenly I'm up about 15 pounds. I read up on menopause, decided I needed to increase my muscle mass and started lifting weights about a year ago. While I now have a killer strong core and what look like garter snakes coiling in my biceps, they are all covered by a layer of fat that I just can't get to budge! I said goodbye to the two -piece swim suit and got a matronly black one-piece. Ugh.

I've decided my diet must be the issue, so I'm back and logging. I'll be honest, I don't log as meticulously as I used to, but I'm trying to get back on the wagon today. I could use some friends to help keep me motivated, so feel free to add me! Thanks!

Replies

• screwmenopause
    screwmenopause Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    WELCOME!
    As you know - MFP can be a magical place!
    I hear your pain and I can totally relate to it.
    54 here - and I had no idea where the heck these extra 20 pounds came from over the past couple years. :sad:
    After finding my second love .....MFP :smile: and logging everything ( I mean everything) that I put into my mouth....I have lost 10 of those 20 pounds in the past 27 days (pat myself on the head here). It works! I have always known...'calories in calories out" blah blah blah. I thought "I workout" , no problem, these calories will not catch up with me. WRONG! Not until I tracked everything I ate did I realize how the calories add up fast....so I now know how they ended up on my behind and mid section :blushing:
    annyyyyyywayyyyyy - it is definitely an 80/20 rule. 80% of your success will come from eating and 20% of your success will come from exercise. I learned that the hard way.
    Good luck!
    great to have you here w us!
    jill
  • kansas_km
    kansas_km Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I am also new to the group. I've used mfp on and off for a year. No accountability though. I'm 45 and was put into surgically induced menopause in my late 30's when we found I had ovarian cancer. I'm a 8 year survivor now but was warned by docs by weight would creep up. Well,now I have 30 pounds I'm tired of looking at. I need support to help me get thru this. I've got struggles like others. I'm trying to get into strength training for my bones. They are weakening from all the chemo. And I have intestinal issues that make the bad food....bread, cereal etc. The easiest to digest! So I'm a hot mess..lol

I am trying to record everything I eat but menopause makes dropping any weight way harder then when I was in my 30's! Any tips? Feel free to friend me.
    Sorry to jump on this link but I could relate! ;-)
  • screwmenopause
    Options

I am trying to record everything I eat but menopause makes dropping any weight way harder then when I was in my 30's! Any tips? Feel free to friend me.
    Sorry to jump on this link but I could relate! ;-)

Welcome Kanasas- KM!
    sounds like you have had a tough row to hoe. :heart: so glad you are here. for foods "easier to digest" - have you tried green smoothies w protein powder added to them? for example - fruit blended w kale or spinach, a scoop of protein powder and crushed ice. that way you would have fruit, some green and protein. hopefully easier to digest.
    does oatmeal work for you? add organic peanutbutter and some berries...
    will try to think of other ideas for you :smile:
    jill
    also, LF cottage cheese, greek yogurt w fresh berries added - maybe would be easy to digest....
  • kansas_km
    kansas_km Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I will try the green smoothie idea. I've seen them on tv recently. Good idea...thanks
  • LadyBos
    Options
    Well, hello ladies! I did so well on MFP in my mid 40's. I was religious about logging every bite. But I'm having a hell of a time doing it now. I eat VERY well. I'm the queen of protein, almost zero refined carbs, lots of fruit & vegetables. It's the cocktails and the portion size that's getting me. :drinker: I'm from Wisconsin and we like our cocktails WAY too much.

Today I had a hard cider drink and after I swallowed the last delicious drop, I saw it had over 200 calories! Augghhhh!

Getting ready to log it all now. I'm sure I'll be over, but at least I'll see where I went wrong.

I agree with the group moderator about the 80/20 rule to a point. One of the reasons for my success last go round was an emphasis on walking. I got my Fitbit now and am trying to ramp up my steps. Every little bit helps, right?

Looking forward to working with y'all!
  • screwmenopause
    Options

I agree with the group moderator about the 80/20 rule to a point. One of the reasons for my success last go round was an emphasis on walking. I got my Fitbit now and am trying to ramp up my steps. Every little bit helps, right?

Looking forward to working with y'all!

Yes, 80/20 - 80% what we eat and drink and 20% from exercise. I think that's why during menopause we can exercise the same amount "we used to" and eat the "same we used to" but don't lose weight (any longer). our bodies now longer "burn off the partying we did last night" :laugh: I was an avid wine drinker until MFP and menopause. realized that I can exercise the same and if I control my wine/calories/empty calories I will lose weight. wala! :drinker:

every little bit AND little bite :love: :laugh:
  • LadyBos
    Options
    Today I am way under my normal calories, but after a blow out day like yesterday, I'm all right with that. I'm finishing my day with steak and salad and hoping to hit 10,000 steps before it's done. Gym tomorrow. Feeling good about today. Vive summer!!
  • HolleeERL
    HolleeERL Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I'm back on MFP because of my new spare tire. I am 44 and VERY active. I eat like hell lately and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE beer. So here I am again. I'm training for a Marathon and this extra 20 lbs I've gained is making things very difficult. I knew at some point I would have to start eating better, but I'm lazy in that respect. I hate having to think about what I eat. Guess I'll get over it because I hate carrying this extra fat around my belly. I've got arms and legs as hard as a rock, but my gut hangs over my belt.

I've got other issues besides weight so I'm hoping that I can find some common ground here in this group so I don't feel so looney. (Crazy periods, weird cramping, mood swings, mild hot flashes for now, skin issues, etc.) I am peri menopausal (self-diagnosed) and I would like to get through this thing as best as I can without my family killing me or visa versa! :)
  • josparkle
    josparkle Posts: 141 Member
    Options

I've got other issues besides weight so I'm hoping that I can find some common ground here in this group so I don't feel so looney. (Crazy periods, weird cramping, mood swings, mild hot flashes for now, skin issues, etc.) I am peri menopausal (self-diagnosed) and I would like to get through this thing as best as I can without my family killing me or visa versa! :)

Welcome, you've come to the right place. I understand those symptoms so well and I'm in a similar boat though medically diagnosed as peri rather than self.
  • HappyGinger1962
    Options
    Hello, I'm back on MFP after being gone for 7 or 8 months. I've been on Nutrisystem, not correctly though the last couple of months. Since January I had lost 27 pounds but I've been struggling the last 2 months with losing then gaining and losing then gaining.
    I had a hysterectomy 6 years ago and have had 'wonderful' mood swings and hot flashes from hell since then. I think the hot flashes are starting to subside but only time will tell for sure. My bad eating is definitely tied to my mood swings. There are some days when I'm feeling and acting like an angry grizzly that I just want to eat everything in sight and then some. I'm hoping the pendulum mood swings start to subside as well.
    I'm still doing Nutrisystem but back on it correctly now. I just rejoined MFP because I like it better then Nutrisystems site and I'm hoping it will help motivate me to push through whatever is going on with me and get back on track. I still have 30 to 35 pounds to lose.
    You all are very encouraging for me and I thank you for sharing.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Hi 'Ginger': Don't forget that losing fat releases stored hormones into your system, so you may be going through some weirdness anyhow. Mood swings can definitely be tied to blood sugar issues as well - so if you are eating quickly assimilated sugars & starches you may have problems when blood sugars/insulin levels swing. Hang in there! Hoping MFP will help you regain your food control again... :flowerforyou: