post partum depression question

lj3jones
lj3jones Posts: 94 Member
One of my mommy friends has post partum depression pretty bad (she is about 10.5 months post partum and is going to have to delay her return to work until she is healthy. I want to do something for her. I have offered to be there if she ever needs me, but I'm afraid she won't ask. Anyone have any ideas?

Replies

• lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    We (a mom's group I belong to) were just discussing this yesterday as one of the regulars seems to be suffering from it and has stopped attending meetings. She admitted to feeling overwhelmed and said everyone else makes it look so easy, so she decided not to attend any more events as it just made her feel worse.

I don't know her, as I joined the group after she stopped attending events, but a few of the other moms used to be close with her. They decided that they are going to just start showing up with coffee and the stroller and encouraging her to take walks and chat, as the general consensus is it's just getting worse from loneliness. One of the women is going to contact her husband, as he may not even know she's no longer doing stuff with us during the day.

If it were my friend, I'd do the same. Pop by (on a day when I, too, look like crap!), send little texts/emails to keep in touch, and talk to her family. It's possible she may need help that is more than her friends can provide. I am fairly sure (in the US anyway) mental health coverage is now part of all insurance plans. We're paying for it, might as well use it if/when we need it.
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 992 Member
    The only thing you can do is be patient and try to be understanding. Otherwise, she needs to find professional help in some form. I had horrible PPD that started about two months after my son was born. I do not exaggerate when I say that it almost cost me my life.

PPD is no joke. Please encourage your friend to get help.
  • mycrazy8splus1
    mycrazy8splus1 Posts: 1,558 Member
    I agree with the idea of just dropping by and checking in on her. Offer to go out on a walk with the babies or something. Getting out of the house can help and knowing you are not alone really helps!
  • lj3jones
    lj3jones Posts: 94 Member
    The only thing you can do is be patient and try to be understanding. Otherwise, she needs to find professional help in some form. I had horrible PPD that started about two months after my son was born. I do not exaggerate when I say that it almost cost me my life.

She is getting help, I think she is talking to both a councillor and on a perscription anti-depressant from her doctor. I was thinking more along to the lines of what I can do to support her :)
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 992 Member

She is getting help, I think she is talking to both a councillor and on a perscription anti-depressant from her doctor. I was thinking more along to the lines of what I can do to support her :)

Okay, that's good news!

I like the idea of dropping by that another poster suggested also. Surprise visits can be really heartwarming.