Shoe woes

Options
pmur
pmur Posts: 223 Member
I started my C25K program in a Nike Pegasus back in Dec. I love the Pegasus. It felt great, like walking on air! A couple of weeks before my 10k race this past Sunday, my feet starts hurting and I could feel my feet hitting the pavement, which was not the case earlier(I hope I described that sensation right). I knew right away it has something to do with my shoes. I went back to the same running store and was told by the store clerk that I needed a shoe with more cushioning now that I was running long runs of 5+ miles. I was recommended the Asics Gel cumulus. It felt good in the store and pavement right outside. I purchased it and broke it in and ran my race with it. It somehow doesn't feel as comfortable as the Pegasus. I thought it just needed to be worn a little more. On race day, I felt a slight pull on my left ankle around mile 3. Today I ran 3 miles and felt the same pull. My ankle stops to tingle when I take off the shoes. I also felt like I'm getting blisters on my left feet. I know it's too late to give it back but are there other shoes out there similar to the Pegasus. The only reason I didn't do the Pegasus was because I was told that it doesn't support longer distances. Plus I felt I needed a wider toe box since I couldn't move my toes much in the Pegasus.

Should I try the shoes for a couple of more weeks before trying a new brand? I hate to spend so much on shoes and then find they don't work :(

Replies

• DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I last ran in the Pegasus 28s and they were hte plushest shoe I ever ran in. I wore them for my long runs (13+ miles) with no problem. After I started running in Kinvara the added cushioning in Pegasus became a bother so I stopped wearing them because it felt like my feet were wrapped in pillows. I would recommend tracking down another pair of the model you liked. If you can find them on clearance get a couple pair.
  • tegalicious
    tegalicious Posts: 629
    Options
    Don't fix what isn't broke! If the Pegasus was working for you, I suggest finding another pair and trying them on a longer run. I was also told I needed shoes with more padding when I increased my mileage only to buy some shoes with more padding and end up with hip issues because the shoes with more padding were heavier and messed with my form. I have since gone back to my thinner shoes and haven't had any problems. I even ran a half marathon in thinner shoes.
  • tegalicious
    Options
    Also, try to find a store that will allow you to return shoes even if they have been worn. The running store I go to gives you a month to try out a pair of shoes and return them if they don't work out.
  • pmur
    Options
    I last ran in the Pegasus 28s and they were hte plushest shoe I ever ran in. I wore them for my long runs (13+ miles) with no problem. After I started running in Kinvara the added cushioning in Pegasus became a bother so I stopped wearing them because it felt like my feet were wrapped in pillows. I would recommend tracking down another pair of the model you liked. If you can find them on clearance get a couple pair.
    I guess I'll do that if I ever find them somewhere on clearance! Thanks for clarifying.
  • pmur
    Options
    Don't fix what isn't broke! If the Pegasus was working for you, I suggest finding another pair and trying them on a longer run. I was also told I needed shoes with more padding when I increased my mileage only to buy some shoes with more padding and end up with hip issues because the shoes with more padding were heavier and messed with my form. I have since gone back to my thinner shoes and haven't had any problems. I even ran a half marathon in thinner shoes.
    Honestly, I thought the shoe store people knew what they were saying!
    Btw, thanks for tipping me about the return policy. I called the store. They have the same policy. I can return these and try to find the Pegasus!
  • SecretAgent27
    SecretAgent27 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Btw, thanks for tipping me about the return policy. I called the store. They have the same policy. I can return these and try to find the Pegasus!

Not always. I went to a specialty store to get my first running shoes after I hurt my foot running cross trainers. They told me I overpronated and put me in a support shoe, which was fine for awhile. But when I starter running longer distances I started getting blisters on my arch and balls of my feet. I went back and somebody else told me I didn't need a support shoe and I bought a pair of those Asics Gel Cumulus. No problems since then.
  • DavidMartinez2
    Options
    At a small speciality store you normally get very knowledgable people. In my experience the larger the chain the less likely you are to get that kind of service. There is one running store in particular that prefers it's sales people not know running shoes so they will push the $100 inserts the store specializes in.
  • kkramey1970
    kkramey1970 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I used to be a Pegasus runner but they changed so much that I spent the last two years looking for something comparable as far as cushioning. A few months ago I bought the Asics Cumulus 16s and I think the are as good as the pegasus I used to like. I stopped with the Pegasus 27s I think.
  • tegalicious
    Options
    At a small speciality store you normally get very knowledgable people. In my experience the larger the chain the less likely you are to get that kind of service. There is one running store in particular that prefers it's sales people not know running shoes so they will push the $100 inserts the store specializes in.

This is very true. But sometimes there are people who won't do well in shoes that even the most knowledgeable person would recommend. The shoe store people at the store I go to are very knowledgeable and are all long distance runners. They recommended shoes with padding for me but I guess because I spent the first couple months of my running career running in cheap thin Target shoes, my body developed and built itself around those kind of shoes. They tell me that it makes no sense that I run pain free in thin shoes but most likely it is because I started in thin shoes that my body adapted to it.
  • pmur
    Options
    I used to be a Pegasus runner but they changed so much that I spent the last two years looking for something comparable as far as cushioning. A few months ago I bought the Asics Cumulus 16s and I think the are as good as the pegasus I used to like. I stopped with the Pegasus 27s I think.
    The cumulus 16 is what troubled me. I need a wider Pegasus. I'm thinking of trying the mens version.
  • pmur
    Options
    I get your point. The store I went to is not a small specialty store, it's a chain. I went back in there today and they don't have the Pegasus wide. I got store credit. The rep asked me to try a brooks ghosts and that felt good in the store but I wanted 1/2 a size bigger and they didn't have that.They are looking for either one of these shoes and will call me when it gets here. Let me go elsewhere and see what they suggest.
  • pmur
    Options

This is very true. But sometimes there are people who won't do well in shoes that even the most knowledgeable person would recommend. The shoe store people at the store I go to are very knowledgeable and are all long distance runners. They recommended shoes with padding for me but I guess because I spent the first couple months of my running career running in cheap thin Target shoes, my body developed and built itself around those kind of shoes. They tell me that it makes no sense that I run pain free in thin shoes but most likely it is because I started in thin shoes that my body adapted to it.
    Hmmm. Maybe I'm used to the Pegasus and other shoes don't gel well with me! I hope I find it soon, I'm left with my old pair for now. Thankfully I can still do small runs in them.
  • DavidMartinez2
    Options
    If you know the size/model you want try looking on Running Warehouse.
  • pmur
    Options
    If you know the size/model you want try looking on Running Warehouse.
    I just looked it up online. My shoe is on sale! Thank you very much for pointing this out. I can buy a pair today, yay!!!