NSV- men are becoming super friendly...

Options
vsg_joanna
vsg_joanna Posts: 27 Member
Last night on my way to meet up with a friend at a restaurant, I stumbled in my heals a tiny bit and almost fell. This man standing on the corner exclaims "Oh my God, you should be careful!" with great sincerity and concern in his voice... this is the type of man that I used to be invisible to: good looking and obviously well-off in a nice business suit. Even though I'm happily married... I totally don't mind this type of attention!! Such a huge change from this past winter when I fell on my butt multiple times (because it was hella icy and I'm a super klutz) and I can't remember anyone saying anything... society is pretty messed up sometimes =/

Replies

• garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    It's a great feeling when you stop becoming invisible, that is awesome!!

You are right about society being messed up, so much stigma attached to being obese that people hesitate to be friendly or show concern!
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Oh I agree!

I actually blogged on here about how I'm no longer invisable, how people (men and women) now talk to me in the elevator, on the street, in stores, etc. It's amazing. What I still wonder is if my obesity made people uncomfortable so they avoided me or if it made me unapproachable because I was so socially uncomfortable with my own weight? And I wonder that because several friends and family members have said I am so much more pleasant to be around now, that I seem more positive and happy. Makes me think maybe I wasn't invisable so much as giving off something that made me unapproachable.
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I keep hearing about this "extra attention" thing.... it has not happened for me yet. Looking forward to it!!