Getting Double Unders

Options
2»

Replies

• Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    I've been doing CF for 2 years, and just recently 'figured it out' for me, anyway.

I was like some of you and did single/double for quite a while. Then, I made myself stop. I figured I'd never learn if I kept doing it that way.

During the Open, I had a great day and got a great score for me. So, I figured, I'd try it again...It could only get better, right?! No way...I couldn't do them at all. I did about 40 less than the 1st try. UGH

So, recently, one of my coaches was watching and said, keep your elbows in and arms out. When you get tired, your arms wander out and that shortens your rope. As soon as I started focusing on my elbows in, I'm getting them! I can do anywhere from 20-40. I think my max was about 45. I still have some good days and some not as good, but they are much more consistent than they have ever been. Recently, I started tightening my core a bit more and that seemed to help, too.

Hope that helps someone :)

agree with this post - when you tire your arms tend to wing out. I filmed myself on my iphone it was very clear that's what was happening with me. Keep your elbows tight to your sides and work on 'whipping' your wrists around. That and a consistant 'bounce' - not too fast, not too slow.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Thank you ladies, I'm going to incorporate this in my jumping going forward.
  • atynk
    atynk Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    my new box makes you do 4 singles per one double under...so i had motivation... a year and a half i tried at my old box... switched over. new coach. he decided he was done watching me do singles, started with a plastic/rubber rope that goes slower and gave some pointers, once i could get a few of those , switched to the regular rope and now i can knocked them out no problem :) it literally took him 10 minuites to adjust me. Now that i have them they seem so damn easy even though i could not get them for the life of me.. my husband is at the old box and stilll cant so im going to see if i can find he a rubber rope instead.

keep fighting the good fight and you will get there! a great feeling once you do
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    my new box makes you do 4 singles per one double under...so i had motivation... a year and a half i tried at my old box... switched over. new coach. he decided he was done watching me do singles, started with a plastic/rubber rope that goes slower and gave some pointers, once i could get a few of those , switched to the regular rope and now i can knocked them out no problem :) it literally took him 10 minuites to adjust me. Now that i have them they seem so damn easy even though i could not get them for the life of me.. my husband is at the old box and stilll cant so im going to see if i can find he a rubber rope instead.

keep fighting the good fight and you will get there! a great feeling once you do

Tell me more about this rubber rope...I have never heard of such a thing but at this point I am willing to try anything.
  • jonisteenhoek
    jonisteenhoek Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Okay, just got them unbroken with no double hop. Got 10. In other news, peed a little for first time. Nice. Must be doing it right.

So what I did was practiced jumping pull ups this week. Then I practiced doing same hop for jumping rope. I just tried to do singles with a big hop quickly and they sort of instinctively turned into unbroken double unders. Bigger hop, wrists of singles is what worked for me. Still lots of work to do on this but now I understand the rhythm and body position.

About the only thing at CrossFit I don't suck at is double unders!! BUT I pee a little each time....I don't feel so lonely now!!!:laugh:
  • gweneddk
    gweneddk Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Okay, just got them unbroken with no double hop. Got 10. In other news, peed a little for first time. Nice. Must be doing it right.

So what I did was practiced jumping pull ups this week. Then I practiced doing same hop for jumping rope. I just tried to do singles with a big hop quickly and they sort of instinctively turned into unbroken double unders. Bigger hop, wrists of singles is what worked for me. Still lots of work to do on this but now I understand the rhythm and body position.

About the only thing at CrossFit I don't suck at is double unders!! BUT I pee a little each time....I don't feel so lonely now!!!:laugh:

http://www.jensinkler.com/curing-workout-pee/
  • missyeagen146
    missyeagen146 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have to make sure I'm super prepared for DU's. I pee like crazy.

My tips for getting them:
    jump high
    keep hands in front of you
    crunch a little bit at the top
    make sure your shoelaces are double knotted :0)
  • FWMagicMike
    FWMagicMike Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I'm crazy... I rather DU without shoes on... :noway: