Looking for a New Gym

Options
SconnieCat
SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
Hey Chicagoans! I'm on the hunt for a new gym since my current one isn't cutting it. I'd like something relatively budget-friendly with ample amount of machines and where people understand gym etiquette (at least a little). Bonus if the place has a pool and tanning.

Your recommendations would be amazing. Thanks for your help!

Replies

• JuliaMarie85
    JuliaMarie85 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I go to LA Fitness and I love it! It has a pool, not sure about tanning. Not sure too much about how their rates work, but I pay $30/month. There are plenty of classes to choose from. I go to their Zumba and cycle classes regularly. There are other classes I want to go to, but haven't yet. I hear the one in Countryside has an indoor track, but I haven't been to that location. Don't quote me on that.
  • sarahbvelasco
    sarahbvelasco Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I think you have to look at what are you trying to get out of a gym. If you're looking at rock climbing, swimming... etc then LPAC type gyms are good yet you'll pay extra for the extra's. I have a membership to a SUPER crappy LA fitness at clybourn and webster for $16 per month. It's a horrible gym but it's $8 every two weeks..... I only use it for their cardio machines and they have classes also. It's a no-fluff gym. I only use it in the winter. Heck, if I didn't go at all for a whole year it would be pennies in comparison to some.

If you're looking for a great summer boot camp work out, I go to www.trifitchicago.com they have boot camps at Hamlin and Oz park and I guarantee you, for the money (which is super cheap) you'll love it. Also, groupon always has deals for them too!!
  • chefsmash
    chefsmash Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I go to X-Sport on Logan and sometimes the one on State St.; fairly affordable at $35 a month (roughly). Not the most upscale type of gym (but so what... you're there to do work, right?) but it suits its purpose, and there are a number of different classes scheduled that are included in the membership. They do have a pool, steam room, hot tub, etc. as well as a salon where you can tan (that's an additional fee). Personally, I prefer the atmosphere/ level of etiquette of the State St. one more than the Logan one, but since Logan is closer that is usually where I go.

I suggest you get week trials at a couple of gyms and find the one where you feel the most comfortable.

Aaaaaaaaaand I just noticed that this thread is a bit old but whatever I'm going to post this anyway. :)
  • tasega
    tasega Posts: 1
    Options
    I did Women's Workout World on Lawrence about two years ago and it was decent. Depends on what you're looking for though. They did just remodel and I am heading over there Monday afternoon to have a look and hopefully sign up again. They are pretty inexpensive and also have 7 day free guest passes if you want to check out the facilities or a class for free.
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    http://www.evolutionchicago.com/

one of the BEST gyms in Chicago. I live all the way in Hyde Park and go there for my kettlebell classes on Sat. If it were closer to me It would be my ONLY gym.

But if you live on the northside..WORTH IT!