need comp strategy advice wall balls

Options
kelly_e_montana
kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
So in my comp tomorrow (my first one), we have one WOD that has DU's or singles 144, 72 wall balls, and 36 ab mat sit ups. 12 min AMRAP. Advice on wall balls? Not a strength of mine but no longer a goat. I am accustomed to 14# but may only be using 10# tomorrow if I decide to go in the scaled group.

12x6? or a descending scheme? I am very strong on situps so doesn't matter too much how I go in there.

Replies

• kelly_e_montana
    Options
    Well, I wish I would have gotten the cue "A wall ball is just a thruster" before Karen last time.:laugh:
  • dragonflyjill
    dragonflyjill Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    "A wall ball is just a thruster"!!!!!!!!!

This may have just changed my life. Thank you.
  • FWMagicMike
    FWMagicMike Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I like to absorb the weight of the ball fluidly as I'm entering my squat, when I explode upwards, I have my hands positioned to catch it and renter the squat as I'm decelerating the ball. I see some catch the ball and then get into a squat. If you are looking to strengthen and are scaling down due to your oxygen expenditure, you may want to work on increasing the weight for a bit to build the muscles associated with the function to handle more reps at your 14#. I do wish our box had 30# balls so I can increase my endurance too.

Anyways, how did it go?
  • kelly_e_montana
    Options
    Ha! How did it go? :) The worst wall ball performance in history. I couldn't hit the wall. I would go high enough but not hit the wall. I did like 160 reps to get 72 good ones. Whoever said wall balls were just a thruster had better aim than me.:laugh: :grumble: I think I came in 2nd to last in that event and nearly puked out chunks of bloody lung.

After that it was all good with clean & jerk, won thrusters & burpees, & i feel i won the last event (deadlifts & pushups) but my judge thought it was an AMRAP, not for time and never got my time when I was supposed to have stopped...wound up coming in 2nd overall in the scaled division in the comp. Need tons of work on wall balls! Yuck!
  • bully_lady
    bully_lady Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Ouch, that is quite a session!

I also agree on the wall balls, I am already squatting while I preparing to catch it and I explode up with a big push to get it high enough. This is one of the exercises that I actually like...while burpees are my nemesis, and I see you won on those! Yay!!!
  • FWMagicMike
    FWMagicMike Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Ha! How did it go? :) The worst wall ball performance in history. I couldn't hit the wall. I would go high enough but not hit the wall. I did like 160 reps to get 72 good ones. Whoever said wall balls were just a thruster had better aim than me.:laugh: :grumble: I think I came in 2nd to last in that event and nearly puked out chunks of bloody lung.

After that it was all good with clean & jerk, won thrusters & burpees, & i feel i won the last event (deadlifts & pushups) but my judge thought it was an AMRAP, not for time and never got my time when I was supposed to have stopped...wound up coming in 2nd overall in the scaled division in the comp. Need tons of work on wall balls! Yuck!

After I read your post about "wall balls are like thrusters", yesterday at the gym we had thrusters to do and I was actually visualizing and I have to say, I don't think so... haha... a thruster IS an upward explosion while a wall ball is like a 20 degree launch. I agree with you in regards to the comparison. haha.. Well, you seem very competitive, so keep at it. You will SOAR!!!
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Is it OK to jump upwards when launching the ball?

Helps me hit the target. I struggle big time with wall balls.

We had a WOD on Monday, "Ham Sandwich" - 50 wall balls, 25 deadlifts, 50 wall balls, with EMOM 5 burpees thrown in. I almost died, didn't finish it because I lost count towards the end of my 2nd set of wall balls and couldn't see straight anymore and coach told me to stop.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Is it OK to jump upwards when launching the ball?

Helps me hit the target. I struggle big time with wall balls.

We had a WOD on Monday, "Ham Sandwich" - 50 wall balls, 25 deadlifts, 50 wall balls, with EMOM 5 burpees thrown in. I almost died, didn't finish it because I lost count towards the end of my 2nd set of wall balls and couldn't see straight anymore and coach told me to stop.

It was OK for a couple of the qualifiers for the games at the Northeast Regional. The women who finished one and two were pretty short and they needed to leave their feet to generate enough force to get the ball to the target.
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Awesome, thanks

I thought my coach would have said if it's not OK but it's good to get it verified.