liquid diet shopping list, any suggestions?

Options
dezbie
dezbie Posts: 19 Member
This is what I have so far, some things are pre-op..

Premier Protein High Protein Shake in Chocolate
No Sugar Added Swiss Miss Hot Cocoa with Calcium
Silk Pure Almond Unsweetened in Vanilla
Naked Mighty Mango Smoothie (pre)
Healthy Choice Frozen Greek Yogurt (pre)
Propel Zero in peach
Sugar free jello (raspberry, peach, black cherry and regular cherry)
Sugar free popsicles
Ocean spray white cran-strawberry
Swanson Certified Organic Vegetarian vegetable broth

I know the diet gets boring so if anyone has something they really enjoyed and got them threw the 3 weeks post op I'd love some suggestions!

Replies

• Ujj7
    Ujj7 Posts: 51
    Options
    miso broth is good, I would throw some grated fresh ginger in there, also ginger tea is good for nausea.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    What are your post surgery rules. Clear liquid or any liquid, purées or liquid only, caffeine or no, vegetarian or no? Mine was clear liquid day 1, purées about a wk then soft ground meats and soft food 3 wks then raw veg allowed. I drink vast amounts of Kroger carbmaster vanilla skim milk because it has 11 g of protein per cup, 60 calories and counts as water for me. I puréed meat and vegetable soups and put them thru a sieve. I ate lots of buttery soft scrambled eggs. I ate sugar free yogurt. I ate oatmeal and ricotta cheese, I ate mashed Vienna sausage, I ate Stouffers spinach soufflé. I sprinkled unflavored Unjury protein powder on everything. Your surgeon may have a different diet. Stick to your surgeons rules. Different diets do better for different styles of surgery.
  • Mangopickle
    Options
    miso broth is good, I would throw some grated fresh ginger in there, also ginger tea is good for nausea.

I agree, miso soup is very good after surgery, clear as well.
  • bkw2010
    bkw2010 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I found some flavored broths that I bought, but I'm just starting my pre-op diet today so I'll be testing them out later in the day/week. I got some "Chicken Soup for the Soul" brand broths (in the boxes) in BBQ Beef, and Italian Chicken. I also got Swanson's Hot & Sour infused broth. Swanson also makes a Mexican Tortilla infused broth, and a Thai Ginger broth that I haven't been able to track down yet, but I think I'd LOVE the Thai Ginger one. :)

I've also got the SF jello, puddings, and popsicles. Click Decaf Mocha protein powder. Muscle Milk light RTD shakes, and EAS Carb Advantage RTD shakes. On my pre-op we can also do greek yogurt, cottage cheese, unsweetened applesauce. So, it should be an interesting two weeks.

My surgery is scheduled for 7/1 and I'm so excited!
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Isopure Zero is a flavored water with 50+ grams of protein per bottle and tastes a little like Jolly Rancher candy. This is good before surgery, but after surgery it's awesome especially if you are having trouble with the shakes. And yes it also counts as water.

I loved the protein infused chicken and beef broth I got from my surgeon's office. I'm more of a savory person, the shakes at first were too sweet and thick, so the broths were what saved me post surgery.

I also reccomend finding a good unflavored protein powder for post surgery. I use Syntrax brand. It might change the consistency of things a very little but does not change the flavor of anything. This is especially helpful if you are struggling to get your protein in.

Hope this helps!!

Pat
  • paul87920
    paul87920 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I am really not a sweets person. So pre-op was Campbells Cream of Chicken Soup, Cheddar Cheese Soup, and Cream of Mushroom Soup all made with skim milk or water.
  • dezbie
    Options
    Isopure Zero is a flavored water with 50+ grams of protein per bottle and tastes a little like Jolly Rancher candy. This is good before surgery, but after surgery it's awesome especially if you are having trouble with the shakes. And yes it also counts as water.

I loved the protein infused chicken and beef broth I got from my surgeon's office. I'm more of a savory person, the shakes at first were too sweet and thick, so the broths were what saved me post surgery.

I also reccomend finding a good unflavored protein powder for post surgery. I use Syntrax brand. It might change the consistency of things a very little but does not change the flavor of anything. This is especially helpful if you are struggling to get your protein in.

Hope this helps!!

Pat

I tried Isopure and it sent my taste buds on a trip and it was a nightmare I was fighting to get the awful taste out my mouth and couldn't finish it. But the protien infused broth is a cool way to try and reach your protein goal! I got unflavored protein powder but had no idea what to do with it I wasn't sure if I could just dump it in my juice or what cuz of the consistency but broth seems like a perfect place to put it. How soon before you could have your broth hot? I know they say gradually increase temperature but I can't stand room temperature drinks or something like broth.
  • dezbie
    Options
    What are your post surgery rules. Clear liquid or any liquid, purées or liquid only, caffeine or no, vegetarian or no? Mine was clear liquid day 1, purées about a wk then soft ground meats and soft food 3 wks then raw veg allowed. I drink vast amounts of Krogerster vanilla skim milk because it has 11 g of protein per cup, 60 calories and counts as water puréed meat and vegetable soups and put them thru a sieve. I ate lots of buttery soft scrambled eggs. I ate sugar free yogurt. I ate oatmeal and ricotta cheese, I ate mashed Vienna sausage, I ate Stouffers spinach soufflé. I sprinkled unflavored Unjury protein powder on everything. Your surgeon may have a different diet. Stick to your surgeons rules. Different diets do better for different styles of surgery.

I assumed everything was the same but 1 week pre is clear liquids + yogurt + certain soup, 3 weeks post op is a modified liquid diet but same rules of no carbonation, no caffeine, no sugar, no alcohol. But wow I wish my process would move that fast ! This liquid diet is going to be the stress. I was allowed yogurt so I'm probably going to eat that every day for the sensation of eating. I wonder if mixing protein powder in the mix will affected the way it sets, but I'll try to remember to put the powder on everything thanks for the ideas!
  • claresta23
    claresta23 Posts: 64 Member
    Options

I agree, miso soup is very good after surgery, clear as well.

Do you get the miso soup from the restaurant or is there a grocery store brand name?
  • Mangopickle
    Options
    Most Asian markets have packets of instant miso soup you just add boiling water to. High end grocery chains often carry it in the international section
  • sue100194
    sue100194 Posts: 129
    Options
    I bought ginger miso soup from trader joe's and mixed it with carrot puree soup (alson from TJ's), a scoop of PB2 and a scoop of unjury chicken flavored protein (make sure the temp is under 140 when you add this). It really made me happy to be drinking something that tasted something like Thai food.