Less Fat more Carbs

Options
SezxyStef
SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
If you ladies could be so kind as to take a look at my diary when you get a chance and give me suggestions on getting my carbs up and fat down...

I seem to be doing HFLC...hehe..not on purpose of course.

But I do find my fats are high...carbs are low and would like to get them up for the lifting...

Thanks.

Replies

• hnsaunde
    hnsaunde Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Hey! Just wondering, do you have any allergies or intolerances to wheat, gluten or starch? If not, one suggestion I'd make is maybe choose some leaner cuts of meat, which might lower both fat and overall calories, and then add oatmeal, potatoes, bread, or rice to get your carbs up higher.

Or, put some more veggies in, they make up a lot of volume and a fair amount of calories, especially eggplant and squash.

By the way, the rhubarb crumble made me drool :bigsmile:
  • ldy_78
    ldy_78 Posts: 61
    Options
    I noticed that most of your fat is coming from the pork loin... can you swap it for chicken breast or turkey? That way you keep the protein and reduce the fat. Cheeses are also pretty high in fat unless you're doing cottage cheese, which maintains some carbs in the lactose, but is low in fat and high in protein. If you need to keep calories up, then you can replace the lost calories with quinoa, wild rice, or sweet potatoes - all excellent carbs that give you energy for the long haul.
  • tinkystyle
    tinkystyle Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Please know, I'm not an expert and am still relatively new to all of this and am learning a lot about nutrition as I go.

Can you add in more fruits and vegetables? They wouldn't add too many calories and are rich in vitamins and minerals. Also, raisins and dates are very high in carbs (higher in calories too than non-dried fruit)--I *think* upwards of 30g/serving. My hubby eats raisins as part of his post-workout meal. You could add honey to tea or even onto cheese. Oatmeal with milk and raisins would provide a good amount. Maybe swap out some of the meats and try the oatmeal breakfast with scrambled eggs and egg whites?

I forgot to add, that sometimes, DH eats Angel Food Cake with berries and a glass of milk post-workout. I know that Angel Food Cake is low in calories and fat.

Hope this helps. :smile:
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    You could cut out one portion of cheese, but you'd have to still make up 10ish g of protein then. You could eat 100 cals more pork and come in with more protein for the day and still be eating less fat.

Also, what is cereal cream?

ETA: Maybe eat half the portion of chocolate?

My fats are always ridic. Lol. But I still eat a ton of carbs because I'm eating a lot of calories right now.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    no food allergies.

Cereal cream is like half and half...with less calories. My cheese is light..imagine full fat...will have to get cottage cheese again I do love it on salads.

Yah I was looking at the chocolate too...:bigsmile:

My first thought was fruit too...all my vitamin C comes from cranberry juice...1cup-100% but it's summer so fruit might help

Yah the pork loin was pretty good..hehe..I try to eat pork only once a week with lean chicken and HB usually sometimes steak and lots of seafood.

Maybe since it's getting warmer it's time to get my nutri bullet out for a fruit smoothie with protien milk/powder.

I just know that my carbs are low...and not on purpose and when I try to get them in my workouts are better, just not the biggest fan of them...except veggies and fruit...potatoes and some bread.

Will wait for more suggestions and tweak a little bit here and there as well with your suggestions.

note I did't get all my calories in last night either...jeez...just wasn't hungry...forced the 2nd serving of cheese and crackers close to bed time as I was peckish...
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    What in the world are raspberry coconut pancakes?! Do share!!

I would agree with upping the veggies and fruit. The fruit smoothie is a great way to get several servings at once. I used to be crazy about getting all of my servings of fruit and vegetables in. I found that you can "hide" vegetables in your smoothies and not even know they're there. I've added tomatoes and mushrooms before (as gross as it sounds) and couldn't taste it at all.

If fresh stuff is expensive (not sure where you're located), frozen works great. You can thaw frozen vegetables and then season and heat/roast in the oven and they aren't bad that way.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    I find my big carb bumps come from beans, quinoa, and sweet potatoes. To cut out fat, I watch my meat cuts, reduce the oil I use in cooking, and reduce cheese and nut consumption.

I'm eating 2 k + or - 200 right now with carbs set to 200 and fat around 78. Feel free to have a look for ideas.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    Couscous gives me my "carb bump". Another plus, super easy, super quick (5min) to prepare.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    What in the world are raspberry coconut pancakes?! Do share!!

I would agree with upping the veggies and fruit. The fruit smoothie is a great way to get several servings at once. I used to be crazy about getting all of my servings of fruit and vegetables in. I found that you can "hide" vegetables in your smoothies and not even know they're there. I've added tomatoes and mushrooms before (as gross as it sounds) and couldn't taste it at all.

If fresh stuff is expensive (not sure where you're located), frozen works great. You can thaw frozen vegetables and then season and heat/roast in the oven and they aren't bad that way.

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/24406/raspberry+and+coconut+pancakes

Here is the recipe...they are yummy...I would add more milk next time and use cream cheese on them as a spread...they are almost more of a sweet brunch dish...
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    You could replace one of the "meatier" meals with a beans & veggies salad. Pretty simple, and you can use greek yogourt tzatziki dip or something similar as a dressing on 'em so as to not have too much fat. I like chopping up a whole bunch of fresh veggies (carrots, celery, onions, radishes, peppers, spinach, tomatoes, cucumbers), dumping a can of red or black kidney beans in, adding some salad spices and keep that in the fridge in ziploc bowls for the entire week to go with my normal meals and/or add some meat to them and turn them into actual meals. It's a great way to eat tuna!

If you're really dying to add more carbs and don't care *too much* about it being "clean" or "healthy" and already have plenty of protein in, pasta can be a very tasty alternative, too!

And also, you can eat some sammiches!
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    Thanks Krok, I like the idea of tzatziki..nom nom...never had beans in my salad...sounds interesting. I am not a "clean" eater at all..and love pasta...oh gives me an idea I have some white sauce here at the house without a lot of fat...seafood...pasta...damn...:drinker:

I did it today...without planning...:bigsmile: we had a free bbq at work...potatoe salad, pasta salad and a sausage bun...bam.

I have cut the chocolate bar down and I think I have tomorrow sorted out as well.

Definately will take some "extra" tweaking now on my diary.

Thanks for the input ladies...you have given me some good ideas keep them coming tho if you think of anything else.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    I don't know why, but pasta just didn't come to mind, but it is a good one! :laugh: Probably has to do with the fact that I find it not worth the time to "make it fit" and I would rather just have bread.

I had a Pad Thai meal the other night and one serving was 85 g of carbs from the rice noodles and sauce alone. That one was another "let me see how to work it" meal, but I love me some Pad Thai.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    I don't know why, but pasta just didn't come to mind, but it is a good one! :laugh: Probably has to do with the fact that I find it not worth the time to "make it fit" and I would rather just have bread.

I had a Pad Thai meal the other night and one serving was 85 g of carbs from the rice noodles and sauce alone. That one was another "let me see how to work it" meal, but I love me some Pad Thai.

that sounds yummy.

I had pasta and bread today....:bigsmile:
  • lizafava2
    lizafava2 Posts: 185
    Options
    This thread is inspiring. I seem to have a default HF/HP/LC diet. I think because almost everyone I know is paleo or into the GAPS diet. It has definitely rubbed off on me. I think I would have more energy also with a little less fat and a little more carbs. Have felt better this week with some pasta and more fruit for sure. Trying to cut back on butter...... its always the first entry on "frequent foods".
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    What jumps out at me is you don't eat a lot of veggies. I eat at least 2 cups raw or 1 cooked with my lunch and dinner, I also have berries most of the time with my breakfast. For carbs I eat brown rice, potatoes (any kind), corn (I consider it a starch especially when processed like polenta or tortillas), pasta or noodles (but not too much, I like zucchini noodles too the mai fun brown rice noodles, and quinoa.