Newbie and nervous

Options
Hi all,

A little background first. I've been on MFP for a couple months now and have lost about 10 lbs. Nothing spectacular, but it's something. I'm still in the same size clothes (although they fit A LITTLE better) and no one has noticed anything. It's kind of depressing to think that I'm cutting back and losing weight and it's not even noticable.

I keep hearing things about how lifting is good. I'm a little nervous to start but I've done my research and it sounds like the 5x5 program is something I can do, but I have a few questions for you experts!

1. Are the weights the same for women and men? I can't find anything different for women so I'm assuming it's all the same, but the rate at which I'll add weights will naturally be slower... right?

2. What's the best way to find how many calories to eat? Which method is "better" (MFP or TDEE) and since I'm assuming I eat back some of the calories, how many? 50%? more?

3. What is the carb/protein/fat split I should be on?

4. What is your #1 tip or piece of advice for a beginner like me? I used to be all about the cardio, but that didn't help me lose the baby weight I've been carrying around for 2 years now :embarassed: so I figure it's time to try something new.

Thanks!

Replies

• katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    1. Are the weights the same for women and men? I can't find anything different for women so I'm assuming it's all the same, but the rate at which I'll add weights will naturally be slower... right?
    - There is a women's olympic barbell which is a bit shorter, lighter and smaller in circumference, but don't be scared of the standard "men's" oly bar - most of the women here use it no problem (myself included)! And no, the rate at which you increase the weight according to the program is the same for men and women. If you start stalling on a certain weight, invest in some fractional plates so you can increase in .25lb increments instead of 5lb increments.

2. What's the best way to find how many calories to eat? Which method is "better" (MFP or TDEE) and since I'm assuming I eat back some of the calories, how many? 50%? more?
    - I've used the calculators at both IIFYM and Scooby's Workshop.; Scooby is a little bit mnore accurate for me. A lot of the ladies here use TDEE less a certain percent for their cut. I have a Fitbit so I just let it tell me how much to eat each day based on my activity. I don't think one method is necessarily better than the other, but if you do TDEE, you don't eat back exercise calories. You eat that flat amount every day whether you exercise or not. The TDEE method is probably easier if you don't have a fitness device that gives you your exact TDEE (like Fitbit, BodyMedia, Jawbone UP, etc).

- This is dependent on your goals. The general rule of thumb is to have between .8g and 1g of protein per pound of lean body mass. This will help prevent muscle loss when eating at a cut. I do 40% carbs, 30% fat and 30% protein, but that is just what works best for me.

4. What is your #1 tip or piece of advice for a beginner like me? I used to be all about the cardio, but that didn't help me lose the baby weight I've been carrying around for 2 years now embarassed so I figure it's time to try something new.
    - My advice? Jump in and get started NOW! :) Don't be afraid of the weight room (if you go to a gym)!
  • lavendy17
    lavendy17 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    For macros I like the IIFYM calculation-
    0.6-0.8 grams of protein for every lbs you weight
    0.3-0.45 grams of fat for every lbs you weigh
    The rest of your calories can go to any macro.
    Try to get 20grams of fiber for every 1000 calories you eat.

I haven't started 5x5 but from NROLFW I found that you have to go regularly. If you take a lot of breaks and don't get 3/week, you will not see the same progress. 3x week is ideal.
    Also, don't get too excited and start to add a ton of weight right away. Take it slowly, allow your body to get strong. I really wanted to show off high numbers fast but that's vain. It's a slow process if you do it right.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options

Yes, the weights are the same. Women tend to stall earlier than men, but we all start out the same and progress until we can't. If you find that the 45 lb bar is too much to start with (many people start lower than 45 lbs for OHP) you can modify the lifts with dumbbells or the pre-weighted bars.

Many women here use TDEE. I do TDEE so that I have a calorie goal that is the same every day and don't have to worry about fluctuating for exercise. It works for me, but the key would be to find what works best for you.

Start with protein. .6-.8 g/lb body weight or .8-1 g/lb of lean mass if you know it. Then fat ~.4 g /lb body weight. Then push the rest to where ever you want. Again, the final breakdown % wise will depend on what calorie level you are at and what you find works best for you. This can take a bit of trial and error.
    4. What is your #1 tip or piece of advice for a beginner like me? I used to be all about the cardio, but that didn't help me lose the baby weight I've been carrying around for 2 years now embarassed so I figure it's time to try something new.

Weight loss comes from having a calorie deficit. Weight lifting will help you get the body you want, firm and strong. Keep with it no matter what the scale is doing, in fact, break up with the idea that it is all about a number on that one measurement tool. Strength training builds confidence and lets you appreciate what your body can really do. If you keep solid on the diet, your body will fall in line with the lifting.
  • muroo
    muroo Posts: 68
    Options
    1) The weights start the same for men and women, but progress will be specific to you. :) Same as how a 140lb guy and a 220lb guy will presumably lift different weights and stall out at a certain time. Don't be discouraged by the mean ol' overhead press. It plagues everyone, men included (albeit usually at a higher weight?).

2+3) I never had the motivation or success with calorie calculations. But I also don't make a gauge swatch when I knit. I know the consequences. :-)

4) Watch all the videos you need to feel confident when you get out there in public in the gym. Or get a trainer for a day. No need to have a billion doubts about form and what you're doing when you should just be enjoying being awesome and getting stronger! I'd say give it time no matter the results you seem to get at first. I've pretty much also just started this particular program, but I've always been a strength training over cardio person. The feeling of getting stronger and proud of your body is way better and more motivating than slow weight loss from cardio torture. Everyone's different though and have different goals!
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options

Some things you might have to start out a little lower on the weight (OHP primarily). But try to add the 5 lbs every time you get 5x5 with good form. Once you hit your first stall (it happens to all of us, it just means that you are finally at a really challenging weight), you can worry about increasing using fractionals or other smaller than 5 lbs increments.

I just use my fitbit and add in my weight routine, weights are the only thing I do that are not step based. I set it to lose 0.5 lbs but try to come a hundred or so calories under goal. It seems to work out to about 0.75 lbs lost a week for me.

I just hit minimums for protein (1 gram per pound of lean body mass) and fat 0.6 grams per pound of lean body mass and then just eat what ever I want up to my calorie goal

No amount of any type of exercise is going to get rid of baby fat. Only a calorie deficit will do that. There are a lot of ways to get a calorie deficit, my preferred method includes cardio so I can eat more. I lift weights, not to lose weight but to feel like a bad *kitten*.