My nose runs faster than I do

Options
pobalita
pobalita Posts: 741 Member
Does anyone else have a nose that runs incessantly when you run? If so, what do you do about it?

I did a 14.5 mile trail run last weekend and my nose ran the entire way and it was seriously annoying. I'm sure it was allergies since everything is in bloom right now. I figured out how to do the one-nostril-blow and keep running but it really wasn't very ladylike. :wink: Any suggestions to deal with it or stop it altogether?

Replies

• eaglefish
    eaglefish Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Only advice I have is to check behind you & then move over to the side when you have to do it...

It's not cool in the middle of the trail or roadway
  • jpapp13
    jpapp13 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Oh man ALL the time ..
    I found that regardless of distance, weather, etc that my nose likes to run

I went to an ENT and basically told I needed to deal as nasal discharge becomes a persistent problem for many runners. It is well recognised that exercise, and the increase in metabolism associated with it, causes the mucous membranes or internal skin tissue within the nose and sinuses to produce more mucous than when at rest.

From a medical point of view it may be that you suffer from rhinitis. The mucous membrane lining the nose becomes swollen, so that airflow is obstructed, and its glands become overactive. This causes the excess mucous production, often accompanied by a water discharge.

Rhinitis can be caused by a couple of things. Firstly, it could be due to a treatable ear, nose and throat problem such as nasal polyps, an additional growth of tissue, chronic sinusitis or other infection. On the other hand, the rhinitis may be caused by an allergy – such as hayfever, dust or perhaps pollution.

So I've resorted to buying some decent towels fabric wise and cutting them into squares for my pocket, or if all else fails I'll use my shirt as I fail at snot rockets ..
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

From a medical point of view it may be that you suffer from rhinitis. The mucous membrane lining the nose becomes swollen, so that airflow is obstructed, and its glands become overactive. This causes the excess mucous production, often accompanied by a water discharge.

Rhinitis can be caused by a couple of things. Firstly, it could be due to a treatable ear, nose and throat problem such as nasal polyps, an additional growth of tissue, chronic sinusitis or other infection. On the other hand, the rhinitis may be caused by an allergy – such as hayfever, dust or perhaps pollution.

If you're going to cut and paste at least attribute the author........http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/staying-healthy/qa-why-this-runny-nose-whenever-i-run/636.html

To the OP, it's a very common problem, fortunately running is a sport with no expectation of ladylike beahviour! :laugh:
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I know a guy who carries a little hanky with him, even on fulls. He's got chronic post-nasal drip and just dabs as he runs.
  • lockeddoor
    lockeddoor Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    My nose runs like a faucet. My running pants have a serious lack of adequate pocket space (I can barely fit an ID and housekey in it), so I just blow my shirt on my nose a lot, honestly. The way I see it, my shirt is going to be filthy anyway by the time I've finished sweating. I know it's gross, but you do what you have to do sometimes!

For me, it's seasonal allergies, and I react terribly to OTC allergy meds, so I just suffer and have a snotty shirt when I come home.

My first 5K, I carried a hanky with me in one hand.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    My nose runs too while running or at the gym. I carry a small hand towel.
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    My nose runs worse during cooler runs and in the winter than it does in the summer.

I also get a case of the sneezes when I get back from running - I'm talking 10 or 12 sneezes in a row.

I usually have a Kleenex or rag in my running belt to wipe as needed.
  • fifilan
    fifilan Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Yes, my nose runs when I run, too. It does have something to do with an increase in heart rate because when I do other types of strenuous exercise it runs also, yet I can walk at a normal pace and no problems. I just shove a few tissues in my pants/shorts when I go out for a run.
  • Sirinya55
    Sirinya55 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I run with my lucky rag...there'll be random wet spots on my shirt if I forget to bring it
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    My nose runs a lot, I used to carry kleenex but it's too hot now, it just gets soaked with sweat in about 5 seconds and becomes useless. So I have perfected the farmer's blow. I don't really care that it's not ladylike. Nobody said running was glamourous. :laugh:
  • Curtruns
    Curtruns Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    ugh pobalita!, I can't believe you do a one nostril blow.....not very ladylike at all. I suppose you sweat instead of "glisten." I will never look at you the same again :)
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Every minute of every single run or bike ride. It's bloody annoying isn't it!

I used to carry a load of tissues around with me but it's messy and invariably I would end up littering the trail unwittingly.

Snot rockets are the way to go. So much better than ending the race with a t-shirt full of mucus streaks. ;-)
    I just move to the side of the road in a race to avoid splattering anyone.
  • KathleenKP
    KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I finish every run or ride with a crusty nose.

OTOH, I do not need to spit or pass gas. It seems most people have at least one of these issues. So when you work out with others, you get to know some pretty intimate things. As for ladylike, I feel like the snotty nose is the best of the three. At least that is what I tell myself.
  • tegalicious
    tegalicious Posts: 629
    Options
    I take a knee high sock and cut the foot part off. Then I put it on my forearm. I use it to wipe snot off my face after doing the whole snot rocket thing. Or if people are around I just wipe my nose on the cut up sock all slightly more ladylike-ish. And now that it is hot outside, the snot arm band doubles as a sweat remover!! Two for one! Always a good deal! I have also taken normal sized socks and cut the toe part out to make a smaller version when it is really hot and I don't want a long sleeve on my forearm!
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I've been having a ton of issues with my nose on long runs lately. My allergies are crazy this year!

I take a waterbottle with a little holder thing on it (a Nathan sports/running bottle, if you wanna google it), so I keep my ID, some chews, and some tissues in there. I try to route my run along somewhere that has street-side trash cans, so I can get rid of the icky tissues. But if I'm out on a shorter run without the waterbottle, I'll wipe it on my shirt or something. I figure the shirt is already getting stinky and gross, what's the harm of a bit of snot?

Hope your allergies subside soon!
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Mine runs like heck, especially in the spring and summer.

Zyrtec D each night at bedtime.
    Blow nose before changing clothes for my lunch time run
    Blow nose after changing clothes for my lunch time run
    Snot rockets and "farmer's blow" when running

And I'm not embarrassed to lift the bottom hem of my shirt and wipe clean.

Or go with the "printed side of the freebie race towel is for boogers, non-printed side is for sweat."

Do what ya gotta do.
  • jchite84
    jchite84 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Proudly send those snot rockets into the ether. I figure when I am running I am pretty gross anyways (lots of sweat and hair, generally grimacing); what have I got to lose? And, if anybody has a problem with it, then they probably aren't a runner, and let them try and catch you.