Is It Acceptable?

Options
OnionMomma
OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
To run in just a sports bra and running skirts or running shorts?

I am not tiny by any stretch of the means, I am much smaller than I used to be. I am hovering around 140, close to breaking below.

But dang it, it's getting super hot and the hottest months are yet to come.

I went for a run last night and since it was dark, for the last half mile I just couldn't take it anymore and off came the shirt.

I don't think I would have the guts to let all my jiggles out during the day light hours.....LOL I don't know if it was just mental last night but goodness was it cooler with it off, alot cooler.

Last night at 9:00 it was around 90 still and the heat was coming off the asphalt road and side walks.

Today it was 91 and weather.com says it feels like it was 96 with 47% humidity. Humidity was about the same last night.

I'm just wonder what others think and do, females that is. Although, I don't care if men chime in too.

Replies

• Eringettingfit8
    Options
    If I was comfortable enough wiht my body then heck yes I would!
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I never did it yet.. .But trust me I will when the weather is hot enough.

I live in a safe city and in a safe neighborhood though.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I don't think it is unacceptable at all but I do believe in some places it is more common than others. If you live in an area where it tends to be much warmer, I think it is far more common and accepted. Where I am, you see very few people doing it and some people may find it strange (I know this because there is one woman I run with who frequently wears a sports bra and people have commented to me about it, not about how she looks but they just thought it was odd).
    I say if you are comfortable - do it.
    I haven't yet reached the point where I am comfortable wearing that where I live (and it will now probably be awhile longer before I am) but when I travel to warmer places down south, one of my favourite things to do is get a run in in a bra top. My first cruise I was so excited because I could run on deck in a bra top.
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Personally I would say it is more acceptable than some of the outfits I have seen people wearing in the grocery store. If you are comfortable with it, go for it!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Shoot, I'll run without a shirt OR a sports bra! I say GO FOR IT! :wink:
  • lorierin22
    lorierin22 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I would love to do that, but I haven't really seen anyone around my town doing it yet. It's already in the upper 90s here and I thought i would have seen it by now, but I just haven't. I would totally wear this to the gym, but outside where people who are not excerising are...i don't know. I am just waiting to see one other person doing it and then I will be all over it. But I am not a trend setter, so I won't be the first...lol! Right now I've just been wearing a really thin tank/singlet type top and even pulling it up a little and tying it at the side if it's really nasty out. (technically my belly is still showing so it's pretty much the same thing...but whatever.)
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I don't see it a lot, but I don't see it as any different than when men run shirtless, or you see them heading down the path with their shirt tucked into their shorts.

I have done it when out for a run at my parents cottage, and around the campsite.

Just make sure if you are doing it during daylight hours that you lather on the SPF
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    It is absolutely acceptable. I do it myself on occasion and I frequently see others doing it and also lots of guys running shirtless. There is no rule about having to have 6 pack abs in order to be comfortable while running. I do occasionally get some "looks" but I could really care less.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Apparently it is acceptable for Rumor Willis to wander around NYC nekid so I don't think you need to worry about your outfit. The more important questions are (a) are you comfortable running like that and (2) are you going to have creepers hooting and howling at you. I know a few women who will not run in certain areas of San Diego because guys want to act like they have never seen a woman in shorts and sports bra before.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    One of my goals is to get comfortable enough to run with only a sports bra and shorts. Seriously, if you want to, ROCK IT!
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I live in a crazy climate area. It's so extreme. Gets -50 f & 105 f... It's tough transitioning to both. Every summer it's a tad "ackward" the first few times I remove my shirt & run in just my sports bra and shorts. I feel slightly self conscious about it, but bottom line, I'm doing it to be comfortable while training. I'm not doing it to try to get tan or "show off". I'm literally sweaty & extremely hot, so I will run in what makes me feel most comfortable..

So far this week, smarts bra every day. Last summer it was the same thing. Don't worry about it. No one who matters is going to frown upon you for wearing a sports bra. Lol hope this helps!
  • OnionMomma
    Options
    Awe you all are awesome! I already spray on sun screen because I got too tan last summer.

Maybe by mid August when it feels like Hades, I'll do it. Boy does it get hot in August.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I already spray on sun screen because I got too tan last summer.
    I tried using sun screen once, it felt like it was preventing me from sweating and I got overheated. Never again.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I got too tan last summer.

Does not compute. Unable to comprehend.
  • Curtruns
    Curtruns Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I'd run in a sports bra if I had the body for it! :laugh:
  • OnionMomma
    Options
    I'd run in a sports bra if I had the body for it! :laugh:

I think we would pay money to see this........ :laugh:
  • lizafava2
    lizafava2 Posts: 185
    Options
    When I lived in Austin I noticed everyone did it (including a then just-chubby me) I now live in the midwest and although our summers are just as hot, almost no one does it.
  • SarahxApple
    SarahxApple Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Perfectly acceptable, as long as you are happy I say go for and ignore everyone else.

It's a not a common occurence where I live (but I live in the UK where it's not known for it's blazing hot summers), but I did see a woman last week running in shorts and a sports bra, my thought was wow hope she doesn't sunburn lol.
  • Novus175
    Novus175 Posts: 80
    Options
    It's so common where I live that I never even thought to question it. All the female runners do it....and not just the skinny ones.
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I do. I do not have the tummy for it but that's just too bad. It's more a matter of self-preservation with the heat.