Looking for a few new friends who can relate!

Options
Hello ladies!
I am new to the group, but not new to PCOS and definitely not new to trying to lose weight. I have lost and regained the same 10-20 lbs more times than I can count.
I was first diagnosed with PCOS in 2011. I've since had another doctor tell me I did not have it and a third doctor tell me based on my blood work I did have it but that we really wouldn't know until I started trying to have kids. After my initial diagnosis I was put on Metformin, but as of right now I'm only on birth control. I also have subclinical hypothyroidism which, according to the doctor, could turn into full blown hypothyroidism within the next couple of years.
Anyway, I say all that to say this, I need some friends on MFP who are battling some of the same things I am! Many people tout that weight loss is as simple as calories in vs. calories out, but for us with PCOS it doesn't seem to be that simple. I have recently (and by recently, I mean in the last two days or so) switched my focus and have started limiting my carbs. I am not as low, carb-wise, as I am aiming to go, but I am slowly weaning myself off. Would love some ladies to help keep accountability!

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Well, you've come to the right place!

First thing's first -- fire any and all doctors who don't take action on either issue, otherwise they're setting you up for failure. Yes, you can know for sure before trying to have kids. The idea that you can't is a cop-out. Find a doctor who knows enough to actually be proactive about things. Stand up for yourself and be an educated patient.

Get your fasting insulin tested. This will tell you whether you need to be on Metformin. I'd say anything over a reading of about 15 with difficulty losing weight, should be considered for Metformin. The pre-diabetic cutoff of 20 that the lab companies give is too high for a lot of people (myself included).

Switch birth controls. If they just gave you the standard pill, then switch, ASAP. Most hormonal birth controls are estrogen-based. Our estrogen is usually too high, already, those just make it worse, and even worse, they mask some of the symptoms (namely the cycle) and give people a false sense of success. Instead, switch to a non or low and localized hormonal option, such as an IUD (Paragard or Mirena), or a progesterone based option, such as Yaz (aka Yasmin, BeYaz, etc).

Check out the Paleo eating framework (though mind the goitrogens). A whole foods based diet is a huge element in dealing with PCOS, and going gluten free has helped a lot of people with PCOS and is recommended for hypothyroidism, as well. The Paleo eating framework goes a long way to making both very doable. It also makes limiting starchy carbs a lot easier, because the carb focus switches to primarily non-starchy vegetables and some fruit.
  • mrsmitchell0510
    mrsmitchell0510 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips! I've read a lot of your posts on many of the other message boards and they are very informative and helpful!
    I had my fasting insulin level tested at the end of last year and it was actually a 3 and I was told that that signifies I do not have insulin resistance. My testosterone levels were a high, as was my DHEA Sulfate. My FSH (follicle stimulating hormone) and Lh (luteinizing hormone) were both stated as "normal". My TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) is a 5.9.
    I am doing research on all of these hormones and numbers and learning what exactly it all means and how to approach it.
    Hoping I can finally find something that works for me to be able to get some of this weight off!
    I will look into a Paleo type eating. The only thing I'm worried about is my husband... He obviously doesn't need as limited of a diet as I do and he's a bit pickier than I am as well. I'm working on finding things that I "can" eat, that he will also eat so I don't have to fix separate meals for us each night.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips! I've read a lot of your posts on many of the other message boards and they are very informative and helpful!
    I had my fasting insulin level tested at the end of last year and it was actually a 3 and I was told that that signifies I do not have insulin resistance. My testosterone levels were a high, as was my DHEA Sulfate. My FSH (follicle stimulating hormone) and Lh (luteinizing hormone) were both stated as "normal". My TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) is a 5.9.
    I am doing research on all of these hormones and numbers and learning what exactly it all means and how to approach it.
    Hoping I can finally find something that works for me to be able to get some of this weight off!
    I will look into a Paleo type eating. The only thing I'm worried about is my husband... He obviously doesn't need as limited of a diet as I do and he's a bit pickier than I am as well. I'm working on finding things that I "can" eat, that he will also eat so I don't have to fix separate meals for us each night.

Holy crap! A 3?! I'm jealous! :love: (The best I've gotten is 9, with low carb and max Metformin.)

I've got a few posts around about suggestions for those who don't have insulin resistance. They mainly revolve around limiting exposure to endocrine disruptors and xenoestrogens, since they screw with hormonal balance and prompt the body to try to overcompensate in one or another. PCOS without insulin resistance is also referred to as Type II PCOS, so it might be worth researching that more to find things that can help, though I think a whole foods based diet will go a long way on that front.

But yeah, Metformin won't help you, though Yaz might (it also has androgen-lowering effects).

As for Paleo and your husband, I have two words -- unlimited bacon. :wink:

More seriously, though, build meals around meat and non-starchy veggies, and if he really needs it, you can make an extra side dish of noodles or rice or whatever. Most guys I know won't argue with a big slab of meat, so it's actually pretty easy to switch them over, at least for shared meals (all bets are off for meals outside the house). I say pitch the idea to him (in terms of what he gets out of it, instead of what he "loses"), and see what he thinks. It's really not as limiting as it seems, it just takes a paradigm shift and a willingness to look up some new recipes.