Dorset!

Options
shiec92
shiec92 Posts: 688 Member
Hey guys, I was wondering if there is anybody here from dorset?
I'm looking for some walks to go on while I'm on my summer, also places that have a lot of photography opportunities (animals, landscapes etc) would be a bonus to get some use of my camera in too.

Replies

• farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I am in Hampshire, but often go over the border westwards

Highcliffe [National trust] is good, not free parking though at this time of year

Beach walk, woods, ponds with reflections, Mudeford Quay, view across Solent to Isle of Wight

A good one is Corfe Castle, knocked about castle on big hill, steam trains, stone built buildings, no free parking AFAIK. Bit of a walk from National Trust car park, up hill to the castle, views from the castle across Dorset

Of course there is the New Forest nearby going East, walk for miles there, ponies, cows, flowers, you name it, it is there
  • WildNat
    WildNat Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Portland. Lots of rugged landscapes in the quarries. Tout Quarry Sculpture Park. The Olympic Rings. Amazing views. A considerable variety of flora and fauna. And the coastal walk around the island is quite challenging in places (particularly from the bottom of the island to the top).

Also, you can get here fairly cheaply on the X53 bus, or by train.
  • Juliemoo1960
    Juliemoo1960 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Kimmeridge Bay and Lulworth Cove are excellent walks and great for landscape photography. The landscapes at Kimmeridge are wonderful.
  • shiec92
    Options
  • nick1109
    nick1109 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I'm in Bournemouth (Dorset), loads of nice places. Bournemouth Beach, old Harry rock, Lulworth is near by too and the forest on my door step
  • barbalari
    barbalari Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Portland. Lots of rugged landscapes in the quarries. Tout Quarry Sculpture Park. The Olympic Rings. Amazing views. A considerable variety of flora and fauna. And the coastal walk around the island is quite challenging in places (particularly from the bottom of the island to the top).

Also, you can get here fairly cheaply on the X53 bus, or by train.

Absolutely Portland! Such a beautiful island with amazing walks and photographic opportunities. I consider myself very lucky to live on the island and see it's beauty every day. Enjoy!
  • shiec92
    Options
    I'm in Bournemouth too Nick, wanting to venture out a bit, although I did the other week over to Studland and ended up walking past the nudist beach, oopsie!

Will need to go to Portland :)
  • nick1109
    nick1109 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I'm in Bournemouth too Nick, wanting to venture out a bit, although I did the other week over to Studland and ended up walking past the nudist beach, oopsie!

Haha! small world? Where do you train?

Bournemouth Pier and the gardens are great spots. Yes been to Studland a few times, got to be careful though. A lot of old men love to 'hang out' (literally) there
  • sticky130
    sticky130 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Hi, I live in West Dorset & work in Weymouth.

Portland is good, great views & climbing if your into it. Wareham Forest, Maiden Castle is a good trek up and great views from the top, oh and up by Hardy's monument, loads of walking and mountain bike trails and again fantastic views you can see for mileeeesssss.........
  • Bazzaware
    Bazzaware Posts: 16 Member
    Options

Hi,

We recently cycled from Hengistbury Head to the Banks Arms in Studland. Great cycle route as it is mostly flat. Till you get to Studland that is.

If you are heading over to Dorset I can recommend Corfe Castle. You can catch the steam train from there to Swanage or visa versa. Also I can recommend the Square and Compass at Worth Matravers. It is just off the coastal path from Swanage.

Bazza
  • sticky130
    sticky130 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Also I can recommend the Square and Compass at Worth Matravers. It is just off the coastal path from Swanage.

Bazza

Another vote for this pub!
  • sewilliams32
    sewilliams32 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm in Poole and one of our fav places to visit is Arne Nature reserve - brilliant for photos!! I love going for walks around Corfe Castle - there are so many beautiful spots in the Purbecks :-)
  • shiec92
    Options
    Thanks everyone :)